SImplii Financial - 3.0% Interest on New Deposits until February 28, 2018 | Page 8 | Simplii Financial | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
SImplii Financial - 3.0% Interest on New Deposits until February 28, 2018
December 5, 2017
10:51 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3911
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Winnie, if you had $1K in there on Oct 31, then deposited another $1K on Nov 1, and then had no other transactions to Feb 28, then you would get 1% (regular rate) on $2K for the 120 days, i.e. $6.57 (ignoring daily compounding, which would make minimal difference), and (promo rate) 2% on $1K (average balance during promo period minus Oct 31 balance) for 120 days, i.e. $6.57.

It all depends on your balances on Oct 31 and on each day during the promo period. So you may be surprised.

December 5, 2017
11:10 am
Winnie
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 463

Bill, my balance on Oct 31 was $0.67, I forgot to mention that in my previous post.

I disagree, that it all depends on my balances on each day during the promo.
The same balances are used for the regular 1% rate and the 2% promo, so 2x very simple calculation formula should be right. It is Simplii after all, should be quite simple sf-laugh

By the way, Simplii do not offer daily compounding on the 1% regular rate, it is only calculated on the daily closing balance and is paid into your account monthly.

December 5, 2017
1:41 pm
Bill
Members
143sp_Permalink sp_Print

Winnie, we are in agreement - if you redo my example calculation changing Oct 31 balance to zero, as you've now clarified is your situation, you will see that the account (the $1K) will earn $3.29 (1% regular interest) and $6.56 (promo interest) during the 120-day period. So, yes, your method works in that case.

December 5, 2017
4:38 pm
hank
Members
Forum Posts: 25
144sp_Permalink sp_Print

Shame on President's Choice, Rev.1
So this is more convoluted than Simplii’s fine print, with the 3% being 1% daily interest plus 2% on the average daily balance over the full period, but at least you get something more than in my original scenario.
Notice that the blog indicate 3% without the asterisk- the large print giveth and the small print taketh away.
There is a big problem with the fine print.
If you think you are getting a daily interest of 3%, you're wrong!!!
You're going to love this- this is the new banking.... the interest is the average daily balance over the full period, so it isn't calculated daily it's over the full period.... so if you started with a balance of $10,000. and added $10,000. in the first month, but at the beginning of the third month you needed the $20,000 for a medical emergency, then at the end of 4 months your average daily balance would be zero ($10,000.+$10,000.-$10,000.-$10,000.) so you'd get no promotional interest for keeping $10,000. in the account for 2 months i.e. you’d get your 1% for 2 months
Scenario 2: You put the money in at the end of the third month- you get an equivalent of (1+2/4% (i.e.2%x(1 month)/(4 months))=1.5%, so every day that you wait to put your money into the account is a day that the proposed 3 % interest is decreased. The only way to get 3% is to have the extra money in the account for the full 4 months- any days less means you do not get the 3%.
So virtually nobody gets 3% unless it’s by accident, because, I believe no one receives the offer prior to Nov. 1 and then to transfer money usually takes 3 or 4 days, so those days will then have to be added into the calculation of the actual equivalent interest of 1+2(116/120)=2.93%
The original add is that you "Get 3.0%* interest on new deposits into any savings account, between November 1, 2017 and February 28, 2018. (If you don’t have one of these accounts, now might be the perfect time to get one.)"  
so to find out about the actual %,
• you first have to notice the asterisk and
• then figure out how to get the details- it's not on the same page- and
• then you have to understand their interpretation of "average daily closing balance during the Offer Period that exceeds the closing balance"
Would you consider this a scam, given the deceptive/hidden nature? small print taketh away.

December 5, 2017
5:02 pm
hank
Members
145sp_Permalink sp_Print

So Bill, you're right about the 1% in scenario 1. I believe you've sorted out your original question to me, but I'll answer it anyway.
I am not saying I expect to get 3% for the full period, I'm saying I will not get a daily rate of 3% i.e. if it were the daily rate for a period of 1 month, I'd get .03x$10,000x1 mo./12 mo.=$25.
BUT as stated above, I would actually get an equivalent interest rate of 1.5% or $12.50 (which is better than the 3/4% I originally had, before I was advised that 3 is actually 1+2)

December 5, 2017
5:13 pm
Bill
Members

hank, you've made a few errors: one example - in your first example you say your average balance over the promo period is zero when in fact it's $10K (though you are correct there is no bonus interest because your promo period average is the same as Oct 31 balance.) Whatever.

I'll only address one other comment (as I think I've previously said pretty much what I can about this calculation): You say "The only way to get 3% is to have the extra money in the account for the full 4 months". Incorrect.

Example: Say your Oct 31 balance is $10K. Say on Jan 1 you put in another $10K, for the last two months of the promo period. Your average daily balance for the promo period is now $15K. You would get 2% promo interest, FOR THE WHOLE 4 MONTHS EVEN THOUGH YOU ONLY HAD IT THERE FOR 2 MONTHS, on the $5K amount that exceeds Oct 31 balance.

So, in defence of Simplii, no scam.

December 5, 2017
5:14 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6750

hank said

Scenario 2: You put the money in at the end of the third month- you get an equivalent of (1+2/4% (i.e.2%x(1 month)/(4 months))=1.5%, so every day that you wait to put your money into the account is a day that the proposed 3 % interest is decreased. The only way to get 3% is to have the extra money in the account for the full 4 months- any days less means you do not get the 3%.

Not true.

Try an example. $10,000 new money transferred in on Day #60 of the 120 days.

Simplii's average balance calculation:

Average balance = (59 x $0 + 61 x $10,000) / 120 = $5,083.3333

Promotional Interest = Average balance x 2% x 120/365
= $5,083.3333 x 2% x 120/365
= $33.42

Daily accrual calculation:

59 days x ($0 x 2% / 365) + 61 days x ($10,000 x 2% / 365) = $33.42

The interest is exactly the same.

December 5, 2017
5:51 pm
yuj
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 33
148sp_Permalink sp_Print

Greetings.
I am confused by the 'average over the whole period', and fine print ... ? ...

if someone would like to work on my math problem I would appreciate guidance.

Oct 31 had balance of $1300. , in Simpli chq
$0 Nov 1- 29,
Nov 30 had balance of $1300. ,
$0 Dec 1- 15...

Dec 15 I have avail $51,000 (Oaken).
From Dec 15
Is it better to park $51G until Feb 28 in Tang @ 2.75% or
in Simplii hisa @ something less than 1 + 2% (hopefully get more than 2.8%)?

December 5, 2017
6:43 pm
Bill
Members

yuj, I'm not clear why you're referring to "Simplii chq", promo offer applies to savings accounts - ?

If you are saying you have a Simplii HISA account and the only transaction you will have had between Nov 1 and Feb 28 is the $51K deposit to it on Dec 15 then you will be effectively getting 3% on the $51K for the 76 days from Dec 15 to Feb 28, even though Simplii's calculation is done in a different way than the usual daily accrual calculation (see Norman1's post 147 for the most recent illustration that it works out to the same thing).

December 6, 2017
12:01 am
Rick
Members
Forum Posts: 1110
150sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think the only way for sure to know how they are calculating is to wait until March and see what you get. 150 posts and there is still disagreement on how interest is paid. All I can say is there is no real reason to apply interest in such a manner except to try to pull the wool over your eyes. Good luck to all that have their savings with them. Hope you aren't disappointed.

December 6, 2017
5:28 am
hank
Members
151sp_Permalink sp_Print

Winnie: you previously stated
From Simplii 3% "Legal":
1. The Promotional Interest is calculated on the portion of the Eligible Savings Account’s average daily closing balance during the Offer Period that exceeds the closing balance as at October 31, 2017 ...
From Simplii current regular 1% interest rate:
Interest is calculated on the daily closing balance ...
So, that additional 2% interest will be calculated on the average daily closing balance during the whole Offer Period.

you don't work for Simplii, do you?

In the fine print t&c, is any of this described, when you are purchasing the product e.g. 3% is actually 1% plus 2%....?

I just went to their site and they have an asterisk next to the 3% but they don't seem to indicate what it means- how do you even get that much information??

December 6, 2017
6:05 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6750
152sp_Permalink sp_Print

hank said

I just went to their site and they have an asterisk next to the 3% but they don't seem to indicate what it means- how do you even get that much information??

At the bottom of their page Savings accounts - 3.0% interest on new deposits, there is clickable spot "Legal" on the left. Clicking on it will unroll the following additional details for the asterisk:

* The Simplii FinancialTM promotional interest offer (the “Offer”) is available to new and existing Eligible Savings Accounts and Eligible Registered Savings Accounts (as defined below) between November 1, 2017 – February 28, 2018 (the “Offer Period”). The special annual interest rate of 3.0% is a combination of the regular annual interest rate set by Simplii Financial payable on an Eligible Savings Account and Eligible Registered Savings Accounts balance (“Regular Interest”), plus promotional interest (“Promotional Interest”) that is calculated for the Offer Period on the Additional Balance as defined below.

December 6, 2017
7:13 am
hank
Members
153sp_Permalink sp_Print

Norman1 said

hank said

Not true.

Try an example. $10,000 new money transferred in on Day #60 of the 120 days.

Simplii's average balance calculation:

Average balance = (59 x $0 + 61 x $10,000) / 120 = $5,083.3333

Promotional Interest = Average balance x 2% x 120/365
= $5,083.3333 x 2% x 120/365
= $33.42

Daily accrual calculation:

59 days x ($0 x 2% / 365) + 61 days x ($10,000 x 2% / 365) = $33.42

The interest is exactly the same.  

So Norman1 you are right, I'm wiping egg off my chin as I type this- I got lost in the math- thanks for pointing this out- do you see anything wrong with the original scenario, where you could put money into the plan for 2 months and not get any bonus interest?

Humbly,
Hank

December 6, 2017
7:27 am
hank
Members
154sp_Permalink sp_Print

Norman1 said

hank said

At the bottom of their page Savings accounts - 3.0% interest on new deposits, there is clickable spot "Legal" on the left. Clicking on it will unroll the following additional details for the asterisk:

* The Simplii FinancialTM promotional interest offer (the “Offer”) is available to new and existing Eligible Savings Accounts and Eligible Registered Savings Accounts (as defined below) between November 1, 2017 – February 28, 2018 (the “Offer Period”). The special annual interest rate of 3.0% is a combination of the regular annual interest rate set by Simplii Financial payable on an Eligible Savings Account and Eligible Registered Savings Accounts balance (“Regular Interest”), plus promotional interest (“Promotional Interest”) that is calculated for the Offer Period on the Additional Balance as defined below.

Thanks Norman1, but when I go to the site it's not on the left, but there is legal on the bottom which I click on and then there are dozens of entry points to find what you provided and I can't access it- they certainly don't make this simple... could you point out what I'm missing??

Thanks,

hank

December 6, 2017
7:32 am
Top It Up
Members (temp break)
Forum Posts: 1363
155sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hank, it's all there - but if you still can't find it POST # 7 on this thread, has it all.

December 6, 2017
7:59 am
hank
Members
156sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bill said
hank, you've made a few errors: one example - in your first example you say your average balance over the promo period is zero when in fact it's $10K (though you are correct there is no bonus interest because your promo period average is the same as Oct 31 balance.) Whatever.

I'll only address one other comment (as I think I've previously said pretty much what I can about this calculation): You say "The only way to get 3% is to have the extra money in the account for the full 4 months". Incorrect.

Example: Say your Oct 31 balance is $10K. Say on Jan 1 you put in another $10K, for the last two months of the promo period. Your average daily balance for the promo period is now $15K. You would get 2% promo interest, FOR THE WHOLE 4 MONTHS EVEN THOUGH YOU ONLY HAD IT THERE FOR 2 MONTHS, on the $5K amount that exceeds Oct 31 balance.

So, in defence of Simplii, no scam.  

Hey Bill:

Yes, scenario 2 is wrong, I apologize for my confusion- Norman1 has convinced me of this, BUT I'm unsure why in scenario1 you would say that getting 1% for 2 months was acceptable, when you are expecting 3%- what % of the population would interpret "average daily closing balance during the Offer Period that exceeds the closing balance" correctly?
Just finding out t&c isn't simple:
• you first have to notice the asterisk and
• then you have to understand their interpretation of "average daily closing balance during the Offer Period that exceeds the closing balance"

December 6, 2017
8:35 am
Bill
Members

hank, in your first scenario you are assuming you are getting bonus interest in the first 2 months. That's because you think bonus interest is calculated the way interest normally is, i.e. day by day. That assumption is wrong. There is no bonus (2%) interest calculation done, zero, at all, until the end of Feb/18. Everybody's getting 1% until then. That's because that's the way Simplii decided to do it.

Here's the key sentence: "The Promotional Interest is calculated on the portion of the Eligible Savings Account’s AVERAGE DAILY CLOSING BALANCE DURING THE OFFER PERIOD that exceeds the closing balance as at October 31, 2017". Read the capitalized portion as often as you need to get it. There's no point jumping into calculations and scenarios if we don't yet understand the wording of the offer.

It says, with regard to the 2% calculation, that they will calculate an average daily closing balance for the period Nov 1/17 - Feb 28/18, i.e. their machine will take the 120 daily closing balances during the period, add them up, divide by 120 to come up with an average daily closing balance. Next step, they will take that number, subtract the Oct 31 balance and, ONLY IF the result is positive, give you 2% annual rate bonus interest on that amount for the full 120 days, no matter when the amounts were deposited. It will be paid into your account sometime in Mar/18.

Again, you need to discard your understanding of how banks normally calculate interest in our savings accounts, Simplii has chosen to do it a different way for the 2% cal'n.

December 6, 2017
8:55 am
davidgeorge
Members
Forum Posts: 294
158sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bill said
hank, in your first scenario you are assuming you are getting bonus interest in the first 2 months. That's because you think bonus interest is calculated the way interest normally is, i.e. day by day. That assumption is wrong. There is no bonus (2%) interest calculation done, zero, at all, until the end of Feb/18. Everybody's getting 1% until then. That's because that's the way Simplii decided to do it.

Here's the key sentence: "The Promotional Interest is calculated on the portion of the Eligible Savings Account’s AVERAGE DAILY CLOSING BALANCE DURING THE OFFER PERIOD that exceeds the closing balance as at October 31, 2017". Read the capitalized portion as often as you need to get it. There's no point jumping into calculations and scenarios if we don't yet understand the wording of the offer.

It says, with regard to the 2% calculation, that they will calculate an average daily closing balance for the period Nov 1/17 - Feb 28/18, i.e. their machine will take the 120 daily closing balances during the period, add them up, divide by 120 to come up with an average daily closing balance. Next step, they will take that number, subtract the Oct 31 balance and, ONLY IF the result is positive, give you 2% annual rate bonus interest on that amount for the full 120 days, no matter when the amounts were deposited. It will be paid into your account sometime in Mar/18.

Again, you need to discard your understanding of how banks normally calculate interest in our savings accounts, Simplii has chosen to do it a different way for the 2% cal'n.  

You made the Simplii's interest calculation very clear. Is there much difference between Simplii's interest calculation and normal daily interest calculation for a $100,000 deposit?

December 6, 2017
9:12 am
hank
Members
159sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bill said

What we have here is a failure to communicate: Yes Bill, I understand the way it is calculated- I pointed out how it's calculated, didn't I?
My point is that it is very difficult to understand their calculation. Simplii is not simple. Look at the amount of discussion that is going on- my point is that they advertise it at 3% but it's 1% in scenario 1.
And again, would you say that getting 1% for 2 months was acceptable, when you are expecting 3%
WHAT % OF THE POPULATION WOULD INTERPRET "average daily closing balance during the Offer Period that exceeds the closing balance" correctly? I consider this deceptive.
Just finding out t&c isn't simple:
• you first have to notice the asterisk and

Shouldn't people be able to simply understand the t&c?
shouldn't they be readily available?
I've asked around and no one I asked understands the calculation or they are unwilling to comment- and you find this to be acceptable?

As an aside, are any banks using similar calculations?

Just havin' fun.... no offence intended.sf-cool

December 6, 2017
10:48 am
Bill
Members
160sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, hank, I'm fine with it. It might be a generational thing. I was taught to always check out the legalese/fine print (it's a given that there always is fine print, somewhere), maybe younger folks aren't taught that anymore. I get that when something looks very attractive compared to the alternatives that just means I need to take a very close look, there's a good chance there's something going on underneath that shiny surface, and again maybe that's not being inculcated anymore in a world where it's all about sunny days, unicorns and rainbows. I'm not sure I've seen this method used by another fi. And no worries, no offence taken, we all learn.sf-laugh

davidgeorge, assuming your average balance in the promo period is more than your Oct 31 balance there is minimal difference (a quick rough calc I did indicates about a buck, maybe 2 - before taxes - if you have $100K there for the whole 4 months) due to loss of some compounding on interest. Maybe someone else wants to do the exact numbers...............

Please write your comments in the forum.