2.30% Promo interest on new deposits to Savings, RRSP, TFSA (October 1, 2020 – March 31, 2021) | Page 5 | Simplii Financial | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
2.30% Promo interest on new deposits to Savings, RRSP, TFSA (October 1, 2020 – March 31, 2021)
November 2, 2020
7:59 am
Joebart
Members
Forum Posts: 65
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Simplii Financial is quite horrible those days.
I received 2.3% offer some 3-4 week ago. I have accepted, got e mail conformation it and moved money back to Simplii. Simple OK
My wife had opened new account as well and called the to match me offer. No even supervisor did not helped. OK, she accepted 2% and waited for the email conformation which never come.
After several long attempts to get through and listen to horrible music for half an hour she got evenly to the chat.
Chat is totally helpless to do anything and promised her someone will call back soon. That never happened.
Even now when write this my phone is playing this stupid music for 31 minutes and nobody is picking up?
That is virtual banking at its best. I am giving up…

November 2, 2020
4:00 pm
dougjp
Members
Forum Posts: 575

Lots feel your pain....Simplii is like a third world bank, I hold my nose when taking advantage of their offers.

Pays virtually nothing in interest until the promo ends (who else does THAT?), and then pays out weeks after the promo period ends at some vague date. A web site that displays little, not even the overall rate being paid on the account. A comparison with anyone else, like Tangerine, is embarrassing in the banking world.

This is the carryover from PC Banking and years later, CIBC has spent nothing on it to make it respectable.

I'd say keep at it to resolve getting something in writing, then completely abandon ship when the promo ends. How else are they going to get the message.

The main accomplishment of almost all organized protests is to
annoy people who are not in them.

November 3, 2020
3:07 am
dentgal
Members
Forum Posts: 206

OOPS. I should have been checking highinterestsavings.ca to see this promo offer, which began Oct 1. I JUST received an email offering 2.3%. YEAH. Right now, the money is at Tangerine getting 1.8% till dec 31. I assume that Tanga is daily interest savings and I won't be penalized if I move the money out today?? Thank you for your help!

November 3, 2020
4:44 am
Jim Sherat
Members
Forum Posts: 154

So how weird is this ?
My wife and I are 'joint' on our Simplii accounts, including the HISA.
I received the 2.3% promo offer a month ago, accepted, and received an email confirmation Oct 4th. Moved cash in, all good, right ?

This morning, a month later, my wife received the same offer to enroll !!
What the heck does that mean? that our accounts are not enrolled, despite the confirmation ? Surely, they would validate that before sending a second invitation to enroll ?

November 3, 2020
5:48 am
dougjp
Members

Jim Sherat said
Surely, they would validate that before sending a second invitation to enroll ?  

Sure... Oh that's funny, joke of the day! Thanks! sf-laugh

November 3, 2020
6:18 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6766

Who is the primary holder of the joint HISA?

The terms of the Simplii 2% offer I received suggests that only the accounts where the primary holder accepts the offer are enrolled in the offer:

For Eligible Accounts opened before the Offer Period, to participate in the Offer, the primary account holder must enrol during the Offer Period by …

If one is enrolled in the 2% offer and one is not the primary holder of an account, then that account is not enrolled.

November 3, 2020
7:29 am
Jim Sherat
Members
Forum Posts: 154

good point, Norman1 ... our HISA goes back to the early days of PC Financial, and I was pretty sure I was the Primary, but don't have any documentation to support that. Fortunately CSR just confirmed it, and that I/we are indeed enrolled in the 2.3% promo.

As for the New Offer, same promo, my wife just received... CSR didn't have much in way of explanation... however, the light bulb went off while I was on hold as she checked to see why our Nov 1st maturing GIC was still not appearing in the HISA as of this morning ... The Answer: my wife and I both have existing TFSAs, that I kept open with <$100 ea. for just such a situation.

So she just did the SIGN ME UP reply, and if she choses to move TFSA funds from other FIs between now and Mar 31st, and /or do the 2021 contribution at Simplii Jan 2 for example, then she should earn 2.3% on such funds for the duration of this promo.

November 3, 2020
12:05 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6766

That makes sense: Your offer invite enrolls the accounts you are the primary holder of. Your wife's later invite enrolls the accounts she is the primary holder of.

March 30, 2021
7:42 pm
Adam1
Members
Forum Posts: 59

Where's everyone moving their money to after this promo expires?

I assume I can just empty the account on April 1st and I'll receive the promotional interest credit anytime that month...or do I need to leave some money in there?

I got a 1.75% rate at Tangerine until June 30, then probably will move to EQ unless they lower their rate before then.

Or maybe I'll apply for a CT account...hopefully their rate doesn't go down too much before July. I've avoided them in the past because of the tedious account opening process, but they still have the best non-registered savings rate, for now.

Adam

March 30, 2021
11:19 pm
topgun
Members
Forum Posts: 452

Adam1 said
I assume I can just empty the account on April 1st and I'll receive the promotional interest credit anytime that month...or do I need to leave some money in there?

I learned to move all my money out before the promo expired.

Have a Great Day

March 31, 2021
5:46 am
KamWest
Toronto
Members
Forum Posts: 318

topgun said

Adam1 said

I learned to move all my money out before the promo expired.  

I do the same almost two weeks before expiry.

Why?

Because I seem to get every offer back to back and I cannot take advantage of them because the amount in my account is there at expiry and simplii offers me a new one but dated just so to make all my current funds obsolete.

Now I move out early, I get another offer and move back in.

March 31, 2021
6:16 am
Bud
Banned
Forum Posts: 1375

any info are they offerin new deal on existing funds

March 31, 2021
6:27 am
dougjp
Members

There was nothing on Monday. After a mass withdrawal (50k's, that's their transaction limit, but no daily withdrawal limit), got a friendly 'see you again' from a Supervisor. sf-wink

March 31, 2021
6:29 am
KamWest
Toronto
Members

There was nothing after a 500k withdrawal which was their limit for the promo so doubtful if they care too much about 50k either.

March 31, 2021
7:58 am
Londonguy
Members
Forum Posts: 535

KamWest said
There was nothing after a 500k withdrawal which was their limit for the promo so doubtful if they care too much about 50k either.  

No kidding. Since Simplii is just the discount arm of CIBC (which has an asset base of almost $800 billion) I expect they wouldn't even care if it was $50 million

March 31, 2021
10:51 am
Bud
Banned
Forum Posts: 1375

We ll c tmrrw next week today Mar31 last day of previous

April 1, 2021
5:15 am
darealmccoy5
Members
Forum Posts: 13

Today is April 1st, and my interest dated March 31st does not seem like the bonus rate was incorporated.

Is this promo suppose to provide me with the bonus rate interests today or end of April? I read about this somewhere previously, but forgot.

I have the email confirmation from Simplii confirming I signed up for the 2.3% interest offer.

April 1, 2021
5:26 am
KamWest
Toronto
Members

They pay regular interest at month end, it can take up to 2 weeks to get the bonus interest deposited to your account.

My guess is that is a manual process and it takes time to get it into everyone's account.

April 1, 2021
5:44 am
topgun
Members
Forum Posts: 452

The bonus interest is posted by mid April.

Have a Great Day

April 1, 2021
8:42 am
dentgal
Members
Forum Posts: 206
100sp_Permalink sp_Print

When I logged in on my desktop, there was a pop-up which I believe said that the interest will be deposited around the 15th?

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.