2.30% Promo interest on new deposits to Savings, RRSP, TFSA (October 1, 2020 – March 31, 2021) | Page 4 | Simplii Financial | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
2.30% Promo interest on new deposits to Savings, RRSP, TFSA (October 1, 2020 – March 31, 2021)
October 10, 2020
4:44 am
dougjp
Members
Forum Posts: 575
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Oscar said

Same situation here. Accepted offer on the first of October when I logged in. Called them yesterday to confirm and request email confirmation. Have never received email from Simplii for previous promos, even escalated it to their Ombudsman last promo and they just argued with me and told me they had sent emails. Even changed email address with same results. Asked CSR for location on website where I could read terms and conditions and was told it comes with the email confirmation. I don't expect to receive it and really only called to have it recorded for confirmation. Still get all their marketing emails. The problem seems to be that the email confirmations are automated and if it isn't working for someone , they will not make any effort to correct it.  

I finally got a confirmation yesterday by calling and telling the 'first level' I have to talk to a supervisor to get it. Tell them you know from other people who are having the same problem that a supervisor can send an e-mail confirmation which will arrive. This was the 2nd supervisor I talked to over the past few days, and I got lucky she was sympathetic. That supervisor said "I'm going to try sending it a different way" - it arrived in seconds.
I talked to my ISP but they weren't helpful/couldn't see anything stopping e-mails or any 'stuck' e-mails on their server.
I suggest not giving up until you have something in writing.....

The main accomplishment of almost all organized protests is to
annoy people who are not in them.

October 10, 2020
8:07 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6766

dougjp said

… This was the 2nd supervisor I talked to over the past few days, and I got lucky she was sympathetic. That supervisor said "I'm going to try sending it a different way" - it arrived in seconds.
I talked to my ISP but they weren't helpful/couldn't see anything stopping e-mails or any 'stuck' e-mails on their server.
I suggest not giving up until you have something in writing.....

I suspect it is the ISP. Their spam filtering is intercepting the confirmation messages.

Usually, there is some way to add a particular sender address to a whitelist so that the ISP's spam filtering lets messages from the sender through no matter what. See if there is a way to add confirmation@NoReply.Simplii.com to such a whitelist.

Keep in mind that adding it to the whitelist of one's mail client, one's BlackBerry or one's Microsoft Outlook, won't work. That will only whitelist the sender for the spam filtering in the mail client. The ISP's spam filtering would have intercepted the message before the mail client has a chance to download it.

October 10, 2020
8:18 am
Oscar
Members
Forum Posts: 283

Norman1 said

That spam folder on your Blackberry device may be for the Blackberry's spam filtering.

The problem may be that the mail provider has filtered the message out before the Blackberry can even see or download the message! That was what was happening with me. There was no indication that the mail provider was filtering out messages.

I had a look at the Simplii marketing messages and the Simplii confirmation messages. They are different.

The confirmations are from confirmation@NoReply.Simplii.com with no DKIM anti-spoofing authentication.

The marketing messages are from info@email.simplii.com and have DKIM anti-spoofing authentication.  

Thanks for the info. It may be the case but I have no way of changing anything on my end as it's just a cellphone email address and not on an enterprise server.
I may be misunderstanding the point of anti-spoofing authentication but wouldn't it be more important to implement this for account promo confirmation emails and not their marketing emails ?

October 10, 2020
8:50 am
Norman1
Members

DKIM should be implemented for all their e-mails to confirm the e-mails actually did originate from email.simplii.com or NoReply.Simplii.com as the From: address claims.

There is likely some way to whitelist the sender confirmation@NoReply.Simplii.com for your mailbox with the mail provider. It is a common situation encountered by salespeople. E-mail messages from strangers with content about prices and contract conditions being incorrectly classified as spam. I see it frequently with the e-receipts for charitable donations!

October 10, 2020
9:45 am
Oscar
Members

I am going to switch my email on file to my Gmail account and then hound them again just for sake of experiment. I did this last time as well and never received their confirmation. That is why I suspect it is on their end as I would have seen in in the junk or spam folder in my Gmail account. You would expect that they would have one of their IT staff look into things like this but they don't.

October 11, 2020
4:20 am
dougjp
Members
Forum Posts: 575

Oscar said
I am going to switch my email on file to my Gmail account and then hound them again just for sake of experiment. I did this last time as well and never received their confirmation. That is why I suspect it is on their end as I would have seen in in the junk or spam folder in my Gmail account. You would expect that they would have one of their IT staff look into things like this but they don't.  

I'd love to hear how that turns out as it sounds like a good test. I talked to my ISP again about possible filtering, and they wanted me to call Simplii - again. I can only imagine how many overall minutes/hours would elapse getting anywhere at all.

The main accomplishment of almost all organized protests is to
annoy people who are not in them.

October 11, 2020
9:06 am
Norman1
Members

If one is contacting Simplii, perhaps one could mention that Simplii should turn on the DKIM anti-spoofing authentication on the confirmation e-mails like Simplii does on their marketing e-mails. That should reduce the chances of the confirmation messages being discarded by spam filters.

I had a closer look at the confirmation e-mails and the marketing e-mails from Simplii. All look like they are from Simplii. But, they are not sent out the same way!

The Simplii confirmation messages are transmitted through IP addresses registered to a cybersecurity company called Proofpoint, Inc.

The Simplii marketing messages are transmitted through IP addresses registered to a marketing company called Acoustic, LP. That could explain why the marketing messages are delivered.

As a marketing company, Acoustic LP likely has spent the time and effort to ensure that the e-mails from campaigns they are paid to run aren't inappropriately tossed by spam filters.

October 15, 2020
8:29 am
Peter
Admin
Forum Posts: 1404

I got this insight from a reader via email, so I'm sharing it with everybody:

I called Simplii Financial and they said they do have a 2.3% and a 2.0% promo for Oct 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021. By phone they were willing to enrol me for only the 2% promo offer. The agent explained that one of the factors they consider to determine which offer you get is that they monitor how much you take advantage of their offers when you get them. (Well at least that's their explanation...)

October 15, 2020
10:05 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3919

So if you deposit large amounts they know you're just a rate chaser to be gone with the wind at promo end but if you don't put in much there might be potential for that money staying and more business with you? Not clear how to interpret agent's comment.

October 15, 2020
10:53 am
smayer97
Members
Forum Posts: 783

Don't worry about it or read too much into it. The CSRs often are just guessing based on half information and really know nothing more than you or I. Their comments are often meaningless because they lack sufficient context and other info to be useful.

October 15, 2020
11:22 am
lhsaid
Members
Forum Posts: 166

Got 2.00% too over the phone. I didn't ask why 2.00% and not 2.30%.

October 15, 2020
11:56 am
KamWest
Toronto
Members
Forum Posts: 318

Bill said
So if you deposit large amounts they know you're just a rate chaser to be gone with the wind at promo end but if you don't put in much there might be potential for that money staying and more business with you? Not clear how to interpret agent's comment.  

I am a definite rate chaser and deposit larger amounts.
I usually transfer the funds out when the rate is over, then I miss one promotion because they time it in such a way that the new promo takes right over and you have to double your funds to take advantage of the new one.

So I usually transfer out, miss one promo and then come back in.

I got the 2.3% offer so maybe they figured because I missed the last one I needed a higher incentive.

October 15, 2020
1:39 pm
Londonguy
Members
Forum Posts: 535

lhsaid said
Got 2.00% too over the phone. I didn't ask why 2.00% and not 2.30%.  

The 2.30% promo was by invitation only. I didn't get one either. Call me a rate chaser too.

On the plus side, there are now 3 different places to hide at 2.00% for a few months (Simplii, Tangerine & Cdn Tire, and I have no qualms about exceeding CDIC at Simplii or Tangerine). There was potentially a 4th option in Manulife's 2.15% promo for new money, but I couldn't qualify because I already had $250K there, and it made no sense to pump up my balance to $500K when the existing $250K would only earn 0.10%.

Hopefully the promo brass ring will still be coming around again in the spring when these things expire. DUCA is especially fond of springtime promotions so they can stockpile cash ahead of mortgage lending season

October 15, 2020
5:55 pm
Bill
Members

KamWest, aside from at Tangerine I usually pull out all my money about 5 days before a promo ends, it's long gone to reset at zero in case another one comes along right away.

October 15, 2020
7:21 pm
Oscar
Members

They seem to have changed their strategy in that this new promo overlaps my existing promo for a month and I don't remember that occurring previously. This effectively excludes me from earning 2.3% anyway so they have politely shown me the door as of October 31.

October 17, 2020
7:56 am
Jim Sherat
Members
Forum Posts: 154

With reference to my post #37 - last paragraph, and all the discussion that followed, plus info in the Alt. 2.0% Simplii promo thread, I plan to let my GIC, maturing Nov1, pay out with accrued interest, into the HISA, as planned.

When the 2.3% promo interest appears in mid April, I'll calculate the total paid, with and without the GIC, and if I only receive, 0.20% for the GIC portion, I'll be having a very respectful, but persistent conversation at the Supv/Mgr level with Simplii.

Based on what their own language says, as outlined in this and alt thread, I'd be asking for a "Goodwill Adjustment" and I won't go away quietly, if told that's not possible. So we'll see ...

October 17, 2020
9:11 am
Bill
Members

Jim, I'd have ready a screen print of the Q&A hwyc referred to in post #48, they've specifically answered that situation.

October 18, 2020
9:05 am
Jim Sherat
Members
Forum Posts: 154

Bill said
Jim, I'd have ready a screen print of the Q&A hwyc referred to in post #48, they've specifically answered that situation.  

Good plan ... DONE !

October 18, 2020
9:36 am
Norman1
Members

Are we talking about the 2% offer or the 2.3% offer?

One needs to be careful about that Q&A that hwyc pointed out. All that is about the 2% offer.

If one clicks on Legal at the bottom of that Simplii page, one sees the following:

The Offer

The special annual interest rate of 2.00% is a combination of the regular annual interest rate set by Simplii Financial payable on an Eligible Account balance (“Regular Interest”), plus the promotional annual interest rate (“Promotional Interest”) that is calculated at the end of the Offer Period on the Additional Balance as defined below. …

October 30, 2020
4:52 pm
Oscar
Members

Just a follow up to those interested. So I phoned Simplii after the long weekend and spoke with a manager who seemed keen to try to sort it out. I mentioned that this was a recurring issue and also noted what Norman had found and so she was to touch base in a couple of days. She emailed a couple of days later to note they are looking into to it. A couple of weeks went by so yesterday I decided to email and ask for an update. Also yesterday I received a letter with the the terms and conditions in the mail and the manager called me also. She didn't have any answers but wanted to let me know that they had mailed out the letter. She did say that it is a known issue with some (of their)? servers but when I asked if I would be hearing from her again she didn't seem optimistic that she would be calling me again to confirm that issue is resolved. I will leave it there as I got the impression she is stuck between a rock and a hard place .

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.