Personal Advantage Account – Fall 2022 Interest Offer 4.50% (was 3.75% and 3.50%) | Manulife Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Personal Advantage Account – Fall 2022 Interest Offer 4.50% (was 3.75% and 3.50%)
August 27, 2022
9:04 am
hwyc
GTA
Members
Forum Posts: 1167
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

It's about time, promo 1.75% + regular 1.75%. Click [Open an account] on the product page to see offer.

Manulife Bank’s 3.50% Personal Advantage Account Interest Offer (the “Offer”) is available to Manulife Bank Advantage Account clients (“Eligible Account Owner(s)”) who open a new personal non-registered Canadian dollar Advantage Account (“Eligible Account”) between August 24, 2022 and October 31, 2022 (the “Offer Period”).

The Promotional Interest will be calculated daily and paid monthly beginning on the date the account is opened and continuing 150 days (“Promotional Period”) on Eligible Deposits made during the
Promotional Period.

August 27, 2022
10:17 am
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109

hwyc said
It's about time, promo 1.75% + regular 1.75%. Click [Open an account] on the product page to see offer.

Manulife Bank’s 3.50% Personal Advantage Account Interest Offer (the “Offer”) is available to Manulife Bank Advantage Account clients (“Eligible Account Owner(s)”) who open a new personal non-registered Canadian dollar Advantage Account (“Eligible Account”) between August 24, 2022 and October 31, 2022 (the “Offer Period”).

The Promotional Interest will be calculated daily and paid monthly beginning on the date the account is opened and continuing 150 days (“Promotional Period”) on Eligible Deposits made during the
Promotional Period.

Thanks for the update. What is the upper dollar limit? I think it was $250,000 in past promos.

August 27, 2022
10:26 am
Greedy Guy
Members
Forum Posts: 121

Terms & Conditions here:

https://advisor.manulife.ca/content/dam/manulife-advisor-portal/documents/en/marketing-materials/bank/advantage-account/updf/bank-advantage-account-terms-conditions-tc025e.pdf

"Manulife Bank will pay the Promotional Interest on Net New Deposits
made during the Promotional Period, up to a cumulative total of $500,000 (“Eligible Deposits”) into your Eligible Account during the Promotional Period. "

August 30, 2022
12:10 pm
Greedy Guy
Members

Link to open a 3.5% HISA for 150 days:

https://client.manulifebank.com/edo/#/productCatalogue/BANK_ID=MNL&LANG_ID=001

Far far easier to get 3.5% here than getting 3.5% with Tangerine!

August 30, 2022
2:02 pm
COIN
Members

Greedy Guy said
Link to open a 3.5% HISA for 150 days:

https://client.manulifebank.com/edo/#/productCatalogue/BANK_ID=MNL&LANG_ID=001

Far far easier to get 3.5% here than getting 3.5% with Tangerine!  

Seems like one has to open a new Advantage account even if one already has an existing Advantage account. Yes?

August 30, 2022
2:09 pm
Greedy Guy
Members

Yes. If you have an existing Advantage account, opening a new account takes less than 5 minutes.

August 30, 2022
4:52 pm
rhvic
Victoria, BC
Members
Forum Posts: 467

Careful how you get your new cash into the new account, in case you already have an existing Advantage account. I made the mistake a few years ago in one of their promos by transferring new cash into my existing Advantage account from an external FI and then transferring that to my new Advantage account. That does not work - they count this money as already having been at Manulife, and you will not get the bonus interest. You need to transfer new monies directly into the new Advantage account from your external FI.

(I did eventually argue with their rep, showing that the money was new to Manulife, and they did give me the promo rate, but it took a phone call)

August 31, 2022
12:29 pm
COIN
Members

I called Manulife.
1) The window to open a new account closes after October 31st.
2) The 150 day clock starts ticking as soon as you open the new account.

September 3, 2022
12:42 pm
Lamaison
Members
Forum Posts: 25

I can honestly say that I've scarcely heard of Manulife Bank. Why are they not included in any of the rate charts? I just skimmed through their ratings and there isn't one that is above a single star and very lengthy complaints. What am I missing?

September 3, 2022
2:40 pm
JohnnyCash
Members
Forum Posts: 230

Lamaison said
I can honestly say that I've scarcely heard of Manulife Bank. Why are they not included in any of the rate charts? I just skimmed through their ratings and there isn't one that is above a single star and very lengthy complaints. What am I missing?  

I've taken advantage of Manulife offers on a number of occasions and for the most part I think it's a great offer. Like the banks, I have no loyalty and move funds where the interest rate and offer period meets my requirements. It's imperative that all T&C's are read and understood before depositing any funds, irrespective of the financial institution in question.

September 3, 2022
6:21 pm
COIN
Members

JohnnyCash said

I've taken advantage of Manulife offers on a number of occasions and for the most part I think it's a great offer. Like the banks, I have no loyalty and move funds where the interest rate and offer period meets my requirements. It's imperative that all T&C's are read and understood before depositing any funds, irrespective of the financial institution in question.  

Agree

September 3, 2022
8:11 pm
Lamaison
Members

So does anybody know why this bank is not included in either the HISA or GIC rate tables of this forum?

September 4, 2022
8:13 am
Peter
Admin
Forum Posts: 1405

Lamaison said
So does anybody know why this bank is not included in either the HISA or GIC rate tables of this forum?  

Their base savings account interest rate was simply not competitive enough. Their promos were and are still listed at https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/promotions/

If their base rate has become competitive, then perhaps it's worth considering them for the charts again.

September 4, 2022
9:06 am
Greedy Guy
Members

Peter said

Their base savings account interest rate was simply not competitive enough. Their promos were and are still listed at https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/promotions/

If their base rate has become competitive, then perhaps it's worth considering them for the charts again.  

Their base savings account rate of 1.75% is higher than others on the HISA table.
LBC Digital 1.70%
EQ Bank 1.65%
Alterna Bank 1.50%
Ideal Savings 1.01%

September 4, 2022
11:14 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6766

That recent rank for the Manulife Bank Advantage Account at 1¾% is more because of disinterest in savings deposits from LBC Digital, EQ Bank, Alterna Bank, and Ideal than from Manulife Bank's competitiveness.

The Manulife Bank Advantage Account had a regular rate of just 0.15% in September 2020. None of those four competitors lowered their HISA rate to anywhere near 0.15% during that time.

September 4, 2022
11:39 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2874

only 2 months of 3.5%, not worth the time and effort and soft credit check...

September 4, 2022
12:03 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6766

"Offer Period" is August 24, 2022 and October 31, 2022. But, the "Promotional Period" is 150 days:

… The Promotional Interest will be calculated daily and paid monthly beginning on the date the account is opened and continuing 150 days (“Promotional Period”) on Eligible Deposits made during the Promotional Period. …

September 4, 2022
1:15 pm
Lamaison
Members

Norman1 said
That recent rank for the Manulife Bank Advantage Account at 1¾% is more because of disinterest in savings deposits from LBC Digital, EQ Bank, Alterna Bank, and Ideal than from Manulife Bank's competitiveness.

The Manulife Bank Advantage Account had a regular rate of just 0.15% in September 2020. None of those four competitors lowered their HISA rate to anywhere near 0.15% during that time.  

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. This site is pretty useless if it only includes financial institutions based on what their rates were 2 years ago!! Are you saying that 1.75% is not their current non-promotional rate and it's not higher than several of the institutions currently shown?

September 4, 2022
5:22 pm
JohnnyCash
Members
Forum Posts: 230

Lamaison said

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. This site is pretty useless if it only includes financial institutions based on what their rates were 2 years ago!! Are you saying that 1.75% is not their current non-promotional rate and it's not higher than several of the institutions currently shown?  

I'm just a member on this forum like you and take no position on the matter, other than to say FI's seem to have made their way on the the HISA list if they consistently offered rates of 1%, or better. Manulife only in the last few months moved above the 1% rate, otherwise for the last couple of years have been not been much better than the Big 5. If Manulife were to consistently going forward stay above 1% on a non-promotional basis, then yes, I could see them getting added at a later stage. Who knows, maybe the threshold to maintaining a presence on the list will increase and other FI's currently on the list will drop off. I don't think anyone has an axe to grind with Manulife.

September 4, 2022
6:13 pm
hwyc
GTA
Members
Forum Posts: 1167

"…pretty useless", someone says? That's harsh. I think most people just narrowly focus on a specific offer or individual account. IMO, the chart shows the current spectrum of rate offerings, which I use to guage my own accounts. It's perfectly ok to have one or two off the chart. Members like us are welcome to post to the forums. That said. 1.75% is middle of the pack…at best

My two cents.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.