TD Direct Investing 2023-2024 Winter Offer | Investing | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
TD Direct Investing 2023-2024 Winter Offer
December 1, 2023
5:51 am
hwyc
GTA
Members
Forum Posts: 1169
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I did the Easy Trade offer in 2023. Here's looking at TDDI offer for 2024

TD Direct Investing 2023-2024 Winter Offer: promo code INVESTNOW or INVESTIRMAINT
https://www.td.com/ca/en/investing/direct-investing/direct-investing-offer

The $300 cash award draws my attention! In essence, open a new account, maintain $5,000 from Apr 30 to Jun 30, 2024 ... new or existing TDDI client.

IMO, a risk-free 6% ROI in 2 months sf-smile

December 1, 2023
7:24 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2875

$5000 get $300,
$100k gets $500

Who is dumb enuf to bring over $100k lol

December 1, 2023
9:07 am
hwyc
GTA
Members

... that said, one should be aware of the TDDI fee structure & the ways to steer clear of it.

December 1, 2023
9:27 am
Greedy Guy
Members
Forum Posts: 121
December 1, 2023
1:23 pm
Jimmy
Members
Forum Posts: 31

hwyc said
I did the Easy Trade offer in 2023. Here's looking at TDDI offer for 2024

TD Direct Investing 2023-2024 Winter Offer: promo code INVESTNOW or INVESTIRMAINT
https://www.td.com/ca/en/investing/direct-investing/direct-investing-offer

The $300 cash award draws my attention! In essence, open a new account, maintain $5,000 from Apr 30 to Jun 30, 2024 ... new or existing TDDI client.

IMO, a risk-free 6% ROI in 2 months sf-smile  

When they say 'new or existing TDDI client' how does that work?

I currently have a TDDI account. Is there an option to 'add' another account with a different account number to take advantage of this promotion?

December 1, 2023
1:51 pm
victor6433
Members
Forum Posts: 84

savemoresaveoften said
$5000 get $300,
$100k gets $500

Who is dumb enuf to bring over $100k lol  

Right lol..

December 1, 2023
2:39 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2885

Greedy Guy said
$2M gets $5k is more attractive  

That is only 0.25% on asset size, perhaps 1 hour of market movement in equity markets. I see this specific type of bribe as worthwhile only if one was motivated to move one's accounts to another brokerage anyway. I would not do it for the money alone.

As for the other bribes, i.e. move $5k to get $300, there is no material value in opening a brokerage account for an asset base of only $5k, perhaps a key exception being a young'un starting out with a TFSA and FHSA. I think this bribe is targeted at young investors who are more likely to use the TD app to trade and get them 'hooked' on TDDI. There is a certain inertia (stickiness) to transfer stock and bond accounts to another brokerage once one gets comfortable where they are at. I doubt this offer is targeted at those who are just going to hold ISAs and MMFs in a brokerage account.

December 1, 2023
3:08 pm
NorthernRaven
Moderators
Forum Posts: 606

Also, if your have less than $15000 in total portfolio, TDDI charges a quarterly fee of $25. I think this is waived for the first six months for a new client, and there are some other ways to waive under $15K - check their fee brochure.

I've actually just started the transfer process to move most of my stuff out of TDDI over to Wealthsimple. But TDDI has provided good service for almost 14 years, and I would still recommend them for people where appropriate.

For people considering TD Easytrade, make sure you aware that you can't purchase any ETFs except TD's own-branded ones.

December 1, 2023
6:16 pm
althisa
Members
Forum Posts: 104

NorthernRaven said
Also, if your have less than $15000 in total portfolio, TDDI charges a quarterly fee of $25. I think this is waived for the first six months for a new client, and there are some other ways to waive under $15K - check their fee brochure.

Thank you for pointing out the $25 fee in the fine print
I was considering putting in the minimum $5000 required to earn the promotional bonus. but may not be worthwhile with $25 per quarter fee

December 1, 2023
6:42 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6768

One agent mentiond that the $25/quarter maintenance fee will be waived if there is a preauthorized deposit plan of at least $100/month set up.

It will be some work each month to withdraw that $100 if one doesn't want to keep it in the TD Direct Investing account.

December 1, 2023
8:10 pm
AndreyG
Members
Forum Posts: 54

NorthernRaven, Norman1, thank you guys for reminding about TD DI $25 quarterly fee. I just moved funds from there left $3k 'to grow'.
Will be calling Monday asking how to get around it.

December 1, 2023
8:23 pm
Norman1
Members

See page 5 of the fee brochure that NorthernRaven mentioned.

The $25/quarter maintenance fee is described there along with the four conditions when it is waived.

December 2, 2023
2:37 am
geop
Members
Forum Posts: 1

NorthernRaven said

I've actually just started the transfer process to move most of my stuff out of TDDI over to Wealthsimple. But TDDI has provided good service for almost 14 years, and I would still recommend them for people where appropriate.

For people considering TD Easytrade, make sure you aware that you can't purchase any ETFs except TD's own-branded ones.  

PITA rules for TD e-series mutual funds have made the move the TDDI appropriate. Once the spouse and I collect the Winter Offer x2...by Aug 31 2024... will probably swap the e-series for equivalent single TD branded ETF at EasyTrade. Kids RESP e-series are also being migrated to TDDI but no reward for that.

December 2, 2023
5:27 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2875

AltaRed said
I think this bribe is targeted at young investors who are more likely to use the TD app to trade and get them 'hooked' on TDDI. There is a certain inertia (stickiness) to transfer stock and bond accounts to another brokerage once one gets comfortable where they are at.

If TD's promotion campaign team really thought they can attract young investors and hopefully stay with them, they could not be more wrong.
The young (i define as under 30 of age) will only do the offer at $5k just so they can earn the free $300 with a 6 month hold essentially, and then move on and close the account. With so many platforms offering no commission or lower commision, TD DI at $10 per trade has an attractive rating of 0 out of 10.
Re transfer out fee, the brokerages are so aggregsive these days than even an account as small as $5-10k, the brokerage is willing to absort the transfer cost. So again net cost the "young" investor nothing to move around freely every year.

My first trading account was with TD greenline back in the late 80s when i was a teenager. I closed my last account with them this year, gone for good.

December 2, 2023
6:06 am
Norman1
Members

National Bank Direct Brokerage does a better job attracting the younger clients through pricing.

It waives the $100/year account administration fee, charged to accounts under $20,000, until the client is older than age 30. Also, all ETF's qualify for $0 commission, not just ETF's related to the broker.

December 2, 2023
6:15 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2885

I don't disagree there are better options for young investors, small accounts, etc. Wealthsimple as well as NBDB. The real point of my posts in this thread is why go to the trouble to move such small amounts of money to TDDI, and more importantly, why would TDDI even make this offer in the first place? I know it is to attract clients to TD Easy Trade, but it seems to be a lot of hoops and administrative costs to attract what could be small amounts of 'fleeting' money.

December 2, 2023
10:12 am
Norman1
Members

The $300 award from TD Direct Investing is for $5,000 to $49,999 of new money into a new account of one of these types:

1. Cash (single, corporate, or joint account holder)
  2. Margin (single, corporate, or joint account holder)
  3. TFSA
  4. RRSP

Locked-in RRSP's as well as RESP's, RIF's, and RDSP's are excluded.

Client does not have to be a new TD Direct Investing client.

Perhaps, TD is hoping the new money will be closer to $49,999 than to $5,000!

December 2, 2023
10:49 am
hwyc
GTA
Members

... BTW there was a similar campaign 1 year ago (code INVESTNOW also). It was only $3,000 for $300. Probably no takers from among this audience.

December 2, 2023
1:26 pm
kesa
Members
Forum Posts: 200
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

hwyc said
... BTW there was a similar campaign 1 year ago (code INVESTNOW also). It was only $3,000 for $300. Probably no takers from among this audience.  

I took this, and the new one, and the similar BMOIL bribes, minimum amounts give best returns, opened min accounts for kids as well, free money! 10%+ returns!

December 2, 2023
4:49 pm
hwyc
GTA
Members

sf-smile Finally!

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.