Income Tax 2019 | Income tax filing | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Income Tax 2019
April 2, 2020
8:36 am
GICinvestor
Members
Forum Posts: 670
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

March 23 — I prepared our 2019 tax returns and submitted by NetFile
March 26 — Income tax payments show as withdrawn from CU
April 2 — Receive Notice of Assessment dated April 2 showing we have a balance due.

Why does it show amount due?
How do I find a confirmation on the CRA site that the balance due is zero?

April 2, 2020
8:47 am
Winnie
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 462

It takes a few days on the CRA site for payment to be updated during normal times. Right now it possible can take even longer.

April 4, 2020
8:07 am
Bud
Banned
Forum Posts: 1375

is there a cra link to the income tax booklet for someone that wants to do their taxes online?

April 4, 2020
8:16 am
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1057

GICinvestor said
March 23 — I prepared our 2019 tax returns and submitted by NetFile
March 26 — Income tax payments show as withdrawn from CU
April 2 — Receive Notice of Assessment dated April 2 showing we have a balance due.

Why does it show amount due?
How do I find a confirmation on the CRA site that the balance due is zero?  

If you haven't enrolled to CRA MyAccount, you should.

There, on main page, this is what it tells me:

CRA-My-Account.JPG

April 4, 2020
8:21 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3887

Bud, there's a booklet for people who want to do their taxes online?

April 4, 2020
8:28 am
Bill
Members

Helping someone with their taxes yesterday, they had been mailed 3 T5s, from Alterna & Tangerine, about a month ago that were still not showing on their My Account. Having seen the inside of gov't bureaucracy, tempted to not report it (I'm sure this virus thing is creating more of a debacle), was thousands of dollars.

April 4, 2020
8:56 am
pooreva
Banned
Forum Posts: 440

Bill said
Helping someone with their taxes yesterday, they had been mailed 3 T5s, from Alterna & Tangerine, about a month ago that were still not showing on their My Account. Having seen the inside of gov't bureaucracy, tempted to not report it (I'm sure this virus thing is creating more of a debacle), was thousands of dollars.  

Don't even think NOT to report it. CRA runs few times a year little program totaling all T's arrived at their site during the year and compare with what you reported. A year or so later you might get nasty surprise with e-mail saying 'you have been re-assessed, check your account' when you are going to pay if you own + interest.

April 4, 2020
10:25 am
GICinvestor
Members

Alexandre said

If you haven't enrolled to CRA MyAccount, you should.

There, on main page, this is what it tells me:

CRA-My-Account.JPG  

Thanks I have had My Account since day one. Will look for my balance owning. I just find it disappointing that I did it all right and they screw up my Notice of Assessment. That is why I included the dates in the OP.

April 4, 2020
12:13 pm
GICinvestor
Members

Thanks again!! I just printed amount owing $0.00 from the Statement of Account.
I bet you I did that last year too!! But old age and memory...you know!! I have put it into my notes for next year.

Thanks Again.

April 4, 2020
12:53 pm
Londonguy
Members
Forum Posts: 535

Bill said

Just because it doesn't yet appear on the MyAccount list of slips doesn't mean CRA doesn't have it, it just means they're behind in posting the info. I have a few T5s myself that I received that aren't showing in my account yet, but sooner or later they all will be

April 4, 2020
2:27 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9212

I have never used My Account, and I have had no problems.
Everyone should keep track of their own income, T5s and reporting requirements. In my opinion, My Account just confuses the issue as it is hardly ever accurate.

April 4, 2020
2:41 pm
Bill
Members

Londonguy, so you're thinking CRA posts these one by one into their system, it's not direct upload from FI's by Feb 29?

pooreva, I appreciate the warning.

Loonie, you've never used My Account - how do you know "it is hardly ever accurate"?

April 4, 2020
2:42 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4201

Loonie said
I have never used My Account, and I have had no problems.
Everyone should keep track of their own income, T5s and reporting requirements. In my opinion, My Account just confuses the issue as it is hardly ever accurate.  

I like the idea of the Auto-Fill My Return feature with CRA, but practically speaking, it has issues with the CRA's failing to timely upload returns, particularly those returns it receives in paper format. As well, it's also problematic when T-slips are missing a SIN, as more manual matching has to take place, presumably.

So, I just enter my T-slips manually. It's kind of fun, actually. If using Auto-Fill My Return, that's so automated, why not just adopt the Norway model whereby tax filers have their returns prepared automatically by the taxing authority and told what they owe or what they will get back? I would be in favour of that approach, but the way we have it, we still have to notionally prepare and submit our own returns.

So really, please don't be all "blame Oaken" or "blame Hubert" for the electronic copy of your T5 not being available in CRA My Account. It's more than likely a CRA issue.

This thread title should actually be something like, "CRA My Account #fail". That would be more accurate. sf-cool

Cheers,
Doug

April 4, 2020
2:44 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

Bill said
Londonguy, so you're thinking CRA posts these one by one into their system, it's not direct upload from FI's by Feb 29?

[snip]

That's exactly it. It's an electronic upload, but it still has to be done by CRA, presumably in a batch process, I would think.

I doubt very much an FI can instantly upload your T5 directly to your CRA account.

Cheers,
Doug

April 4, 2020
3:01 pm
Bill
Members

I know the FI reports it to CRA's system, not directly to My Account CRA. My question is if it's all electronic, by FI and by CRA, why isn't it there more than a month after the FI reporting due date?

April 4, 2020
3:38 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

Bill said
I know the FI reports it to CRA's system, not directly to My Account CRA. My question is if it's all electronic, by FI and by CRA, why isn't it there more than a month after the FI reporting due date?  

I don't know if it's all electronic; until this year, university and college tuition T-slips were submitted in paper form. The migration to electronic is a multi-year, or multi-decade, long process. I suspect for T5s it's substantially electronic, but wouldn't be surprised if there's some straggling paper filers. sf-cool

Cheers,
Doug

April 4, 2020
3:51 pm
Londonguy
Members
Forum Posts: 535

Bill said

Hard to know. In some cases I received slips from FIs a few weeks before they ever showed up in MyAccount, and in other cases the info was on CRA for quite a while before I ever got the slip.

The annoyance for me this year was Ideal Savings, because I didn't get either their T5 or see the CRA info posted until April 3. In fact, I was going to file this weekend using an estimate when both suddenly appeared on Friday

April 4, 2020
6:01 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6675

Another possibility is that CRA has suspended their electronic T5 slip processing temporarily to work on preparing the My Account service to accept applications for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit.

According to Apply for Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) with CRA, applications can be made through My Account next week.

Interestingly, applicants will be allowed four days each calendar week, depending on month of birth, to apply online, according to https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/cerb-application.html:

If you were born in the month of Apply for CERB on Your best day to apply
January, February or March Mondays April 6
April, May, or June Tuesdays April 7
July, August, or September Wednesdays April 8
October, November, or December Thursdays April 9
Any month Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays
April 4, 2020
8:39 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

Norman1 said
Another possibility is that CRA has suspended their electronic T5 slip processing temporarily to work on preparing the My Account service to accept applications for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit.

According to Apply for Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) with CRA, applications can be made through My Account next week.

Interestingly, applicants will be allowed four days each calendar week, depending on month of birth, to apply online, according to https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/cerb-application.html:

If you were born in the month of Apply for CERB on Your best day to apply
January, February or March Mondays April 6
April, May, or June Tuesdays April 7
July, August, or September Wednesdays April 8
October, November, or December Thursdays April 9
Any month Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays

Good point, Norman. I was thinking of that, when I heard that the CRA's I.T. team had been engaged to work on the CERB online portal and tool for electronically enrolling in direct deposit automatically, what I.T. projects might be sidelined. It's quite possible CRA has pushed back the regular weekly bulk data imports from financial institutions.

Hope no one here is too inconvenienced by that. Minor detail when you consider the importance of the CERB. (I don't mean you, Norman.)

Cheers,
Doug

July 10, 2020
12:49 pm
Alexandra
British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 458

I have a substantial income tax refund for 2019. Went on to "my account" and they say they mailed the refund on the 10th of June. This is 10th of July..........still haven't received it.

If you go to "my account" there is a place where you can request a "duplicate" cheque. I tried that............they say I haven't any uncashed cheques.

So now here I am sitting on the phone for a estimated two hour wait. When and if I finally do get to talk with them.....I wonder if they will say I'll have to wait longer to receive the cheque they mailed.

Why haven't they got more phone numbers? They ask if your call has anything to do with CREB and the like. You say no. Then they still go on and on about it.
This is extremely frustrating.

Any advice..............except for the obvious.......i.e. I should have had them do a direct deposit. I was going to to that for next year. Didn't want to do it during the time of Covid because I was worried they would mix everything up.

I need words of encouragement!!

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.