Free income tax software options in 2021 (2020 tax year) | Page 6 | Income tax filing | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Free income tax software options in 2021 (2020 tax year)
April 25, 2021
12:13 pm
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
101sp_Permalink sp_Print

Norman1 said

COIN said

Same here. I don't bother entering each individual slip, just the total. However, I noticed whatever gross eligible taxable Canadian dividends dollar amount I enter on the worksheet the system automatically doubles the amount.

Righand said

That's strange because I have 5 separate T-3's and the system didn't double the total amount (and the result is the same as my separate XCEL spreadsheet.)

Do you have the latest update of Studio Tax ?

Could there have been a mix up with the actual and taxable dividend amounts?

If one enters the taxable dividend into the actual dividend field by mistake, it will get grossed up by 38% again. $100 actual dividend grossed up by 38% twice will become $190.44, almost double.  

I only enter the gross taxable dividend amount because Line 12000 only asks for the gross taxable dividend amount. The actual and dividend credit lines are redundant (in my mind).

April 25, 2021
12:21 pm
COIN
Members
102sp_Permalink sp_Print

I actually started the return a while back but did not file because I was waiting for the DUCA amended T5 and then I also received an unexpected amended T5 from another institution so I had to change the earlier inputted amounts for the dividend and interest income so now everything is all messed up.

April 25, 2021
1:11 pm
Righand
Members
Forum Posts: 103

COIN said
I actually started the return a while back but did not file because I was waiting for the DUCA amended T5 and then I also received an unexpected amended T5 from another institution so I had to change the earlier inputted amounts for the dividend and interest income so now everything is all messed up.  

You might wish to try starting fresh using autofill.
I have a lot of T-3 and T-5's etc. and it worked great, all the data compared exactly to my own manual spreadsheet.

If you wish you can print a PDF file from CRA using your CRA "My account" giving you access to the latest info that they have on file.

You could always save your first try on a USB stick in case you wish to return where you started .

April 25, 2021
1:11 pm
balanced_gic_porfolio
Members
Forum Posts: 5

Doug said

but do allow you to change your return and regenerate a new draft completed income tax return, which, presumably, generates another $0.00 "paid" invoice and payment receipt.

Doug, I filed my taxes this year using TurboTax Free Online and can confirm this is the way it works. Upon using ReFILE via TurboTax, when you complete the tax return filing it takes you into a "payment" section, but the invoice is marked zero "0.00". Thanks for your valued contributions on this forum btw, Doug.

April 25, 2021
4:55 pm
COIN
Members
105sp_Permalink sp_Print

Long story short. I aborted my first attempt and started a second attempt and all seems well. I'll take a fresh look tomorrow morning.

April 28, 2021
12:23 pm
RAV4guy
Members
Forum Posts: 43
106sp_Permalink sp_Print

I would like to thank BillieBob (post 55) for recommending TaxFreeway.
While I did use tax preparation software several years ago I had completed my last few tax returns by hand. This year I was facing many new tax items I was unfamiliar with, among which were pension income, linked return with a spouse and charitable donations over the allowed limit.

There was no nagging about buying. I created the 2 tax returns and when I was ready to review, print and Netfile I purchased the key for $14.95 + tax.

I am quite satisfied with TaxFreeway and will use it again.

April 30, 2021
8:37 am
COIN
Members
107sp_Permalink sp_Print

Righand said

You might wish to try starting fresh using autofill.
I have a lot of T-3 and T-5's etc. and it worked great, all the data compared exactly to my own manual spreadsheet. 

Can autofill handle divided tax credit, foreign tax credit and Form 1135? Thanks.

April 30, 2021
9:05 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6777
108sp_Permalink sp_Print

CRA's auto fill service helps with the slips and info it receives from Canadian financial institutions and employers.

However, it won't work with foreign income sources and foreign holdings that don't submit info to CRA. For example, a shareholder dividend reinvestment plan one has directly with a US company. The plan will send a Form 1099-DIV and file a copy with the IRS only. That won't show up in CRA auto-fill.

One still needs to check the auto-fill afterwards to see if anything is missing or incorrect. Some people have found that auto-fill is missing a slip or two, for some reason.

Also, would gains reported for strip bonds on auto-filled T5008's (Statement of Securities Transactions) be handled correctly? Buying strip bonds for $9,900 and having them redeemed at maturity for $10,000 later actually gives one $100 of interest and not $100 of capital gains!

April 30, 2021
10:42 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2885

Unless you only have employment, interest and simple Cad dividend income, I would advise against using autofill. The time needed to double check the T5008, whether FX is already converted properly at source slips etc, ended up taking up more time than inputting the slips manually. Entering manually also give you a much better idea what exactly you are doing, and whether the calculated tax makes sense or not as I add more slips.

Autofill is simple but only work well for simple tax return when its mostly T4 only...

April 30, 2021
11:20 am
Norman1
Members
110sp_Permalink sp_Print

Same with any foreign investments that are not held through a Canadian brokerage account or a Canadian investment plan trustee.

CRA won't see a T1135 filed for shares of a US company held directly or held through a shareholder plan administered in the US.

August 10, 2021
8:00 am
COIN
Members
111sp_Permalink sp_Print

I know Studiotax is no longer free but thought I'll post my questions here anyway.

1) Is Windows 7 (and newer) a requirement of the CRA or Studiotax?

2) Are there any tax software that can still run on Windows XP?

August 11, 2021
8:48 am
fs2schm
Ottawa, Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 4
112sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have been using myTaxExpress since 2002, and have found that it handles everything that I need, including Cdn and foreign dividends, capital gains, and even refiling with corrections. It has a very reasonable price of $6.99 for one return, or $13.99 for up to 10 returns. The software runs locally on my PC, currently with Windows 10, but the website claims that it runs on Windows 7,8 and 10, and they even have a version that runs on Windows XP and Vista. The UI is fairly simple, but works for me.

August 11, 2021
2:13 pm
COIN
Members
113sp_Permalink sp_Print

fs2schm said
but the website claims that it runs on Windows 7,8 and 10, and they even have a version that runs on Windows XP and Vista. The UI is fairly simple, but works for me.  

I do have Windows 7 (great O/S) now and have been using Studiotax for 8 years but last year they implemented a $15 fee plus HST. I'm concerned that the next edition of Studiotax might run only on Windows 8 and newer.

Sounds like I should take a look at Tax Express. Thanks.

August 11, 2021
3:53 pm
pooreva
Banned
Forum Posts: 440
114sp_Permalink sp_Print

FYI: TurboTax runs on Win10 (and above) only.

August 11, 2021
9:32 pm
Kidd
Banned
Forum Posts: 840
115sp_Permalink sp_Print

Those using earlier versions of windows, why not upgrade to Windows 10? It's free, it's easy to do (but very time consuming). If you're not happy with 10, you can roll back your operating system BUT there's no reason not to be happy.

Here's the how to, from Microsoft.

August 12, 2021
6:02 am
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1116
116sp_Permalink sp_Print

pooreva said
FYI: TurboTax runs on Win10 (and above) only.  

The box with TurboTax CD I have says "Windows 8 or Windows 10 required."

So, if you are one of the few who has Windows 8 on your computer, TurboTax for tax year 2020 should work for you.

August 12, 2021
7:36 am
COIN
Members
117sp_Permalink sp_Print

"Those using earlier versions of windows, why not upgrade to Windows 10?"

Good question and thanks. I love Windows 7 and XP before that and am reluctant to change. I am probably the most computer incompetent person in Toronto so I'll have to ask my "Geek" friend to do it for me. I'll also ask him if it is possible to partition the drive so I can still keep Windows 7 while adding Windows 10.

August 12, 2021
10:22 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2885
118sp_Permalink sp_Print

COIN said
"Those using earlier versions of windows, why not upgrade to Windows 10?"

Good question and thanks. I love Windows 7 and XP before that and am reluctant to change. I am probably the most computer incompetent person in Toronto so I'll have to ask my "Geek" friend to do it for me. I'll also ask him if it is possible to partition the drive so I can still keep Windows 7 while adding Windows 10.  

Windows 10's boot up time is way faster than Windows 7 due to ability to fast boot.
Other than the time taken (1hr+ depends on ur CPU) to upgrade, there is zero reason to choose 7 over 10. I can understand the reluctant to change, but growing old is a change too and we have to accept it one way or the other, so why not try a new OS instead of stick to an old one 🙂

August 14, 2021
9:41 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2897
119sp_Permalink sp_Print

Agreed. I have not timed it but I think my 6 year old Win10 machine fully boots up in 10-15 seconds (i7 processor, SSD, 16G RAM). There is no reason to use Sleep/Hibernate mode with boot ups that fast.

Almost every software package is going to need Win10 shortly. Just like photo cheque deposits and tellerless banking coming to you soon, one has to eventually keep up. Better to do it in bites than have a full elephant thrown at you at once.

August 14, 2021
10:31 am
Norman1
Members

One needs to investigate to see if the upgrade will actually end up to be free.

It will be far from free if one will need to buy a new printer, scanner, or TV tuner card because there is no Windows 10 driver or a dumbed down Windows 10 driver for the peripheral.

One could also end up spending money upgrading software to versions that run in Windows 10.

Microsoft has dropped support for DRM-protected Windows media files in Windows 10. One will need to burn purchased DRM-protected songs to CD to be able to play them after upgrading away from Windows 7. Otherwise, one could end up having to buy those songs again!

Please write your comments in the forum.