Free income tax software options in 2021 (2020 tax year) | Page 5 | Income tax filing | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Free income tax software options in 2021 (2020 tax year)
February 28, 2021
7:19 am
dommm
Members
Forum Posts: 157
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Scruge said
If you're using Windows other than 10, an easy utility to make a pdf from just about any software is CutePDF (https://www.cutepdf.com/). The software installs itself as a print driver. From any software that prints, select CutePDF as the printer and it saves a pdf.  

I am using Windows 10 & I'm assuming from your post the program you mention is incompatible with Windows 10?

February 28, 2021
7:34 am
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1107

dommm said

Yes that is exactly what I always do when I want to save something as a PDF file but when I clicked onto print within the program it started printing immediately without the option to choose "print to PDF" as most other programs allow unless I missed something.  

Looks like this program sends print job straight to Default Printer.

In Windows 10 you can overcome this by going to Windows Settings, find there Printers and Scanners, look for "Microsoft print to PDF," select it and in menu that appears under it choose Manage. There, you'll see the option "Set as default."

February 28, 2021
9:44 am
Scruge
Alberta
Members
Forum Posts: 20

dommm said

I am using Windows 10 & I'm assuming from your post the program you mention is incompatible with Windows 10?  

Sorry, not what I meant. I believe CutePDF is compatible with all Windows versions. I think Windows 10 has built-in "print to pdf" capability so CutePDF would be a duplication of the same feature.

Alexandre's comment about the default printer would be valid for the Win 10 built-in or CutePDF utility.

Older programs used to use the default printer without a "which printer?" query if you clicked the "Print" button. You had to use "File/Print" or something similar to choose a different printer. Don't know if this software has this option.

February 28, 2021
3:11 pm
rhvic
Victoria, BC
Members
Forum Posts: 467

Rats - I just paid for using StudioTax 2020, only to read when trying to download it that my computer is no longer supported for this version, as I have an older iMac which cannot go beyond OS 10.11.6. Now I need to try to get a refund.

Have Mac users found a good free tax software out there?

February 28, 2021
5:51 pm
dommm
Members
Forum Posts: 157

With the help of Londonguy, Norman 1, Scruge & Alexandra I got it figured out. Thanks

March 1, 2021
1:48 pm
yuj
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 33

Doug said

Anyway, seeing that SimpleTax has now rebranded as Wealthsimple Tax and tightly integrated with Wealthsimple, as I predicted, I can no longer recommend SimpleTax, and have moved to TurboTax Free Online.

The one annoyance with TurboTax Free Online, as far as I can tell, is you cannot print a preview of your actual draft completed income tax return. They require you to "complete" your "order," which generates a $0.00 "paid" invoice and payment receipt, but do allow you to change your return and regenerate a new draft completed income tax return, which, presumably, generates another $0.00 "paid" invoice and payment receipt.

Overall, not a bad product, nice UI, save for the multiple nags to "upgrade" to their premium service offerings.

Cheers,
Doug  

Even though Simpletax is rebranded, has the product changed (much)? If recommended in prior years what’s the consequence of using WSimpletax and ignoring the association with WS ?

March 1, 2021
2:38 pm
Briguy
Members
Forum Posts: 716

This year Simpletax doesn't give you the option of opting out of data collection.

March 2, 2021
7:26 am
Winnie
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 463

I sent my return using Wealthsimple Tax (SimpleTax) and immediately after that deleted my return from Wealthsimple Tax site.

I hope, that they did not copied and saved my data anywhere else.

But, I don't know for sure if my data was collected and saved.

March 2, 2021
9:25 am
canadian.100
Members
Forum Posts: 942

Briguy said
This year Simpletax doesn't give you the option of opting out of data collection.  

Do you not think that data collection is likely occurring if you deal with financial institutions such as Canadian Tire Bank and in fact most of the others listed in this forum? Just read your Equifax and Transunion Credit Reports.

March 3, 2021
4:06 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9244

Winnie said
I sent my return using Wealthsimple Tax (SimpleTax) and immediately after that deleted my return from Wealthsimple Tax site.

Let us know if you start getting emails and advertising from them.

March 4, 2021
5:13 am
canadian.100
Members

Loonie said

I would be more concerned about whether my tax return information was well secured by Wealthsimple - likely it is secured. Who cares if one gets some email advertising - that can be easily deleted.

March 4, 2021
1:21 pm
Winnie
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 463

Loonie said

Yes, I will do that. So far no communication from them.

I donated $20 and just hope that they will respect my privacy and choice not to be involved in anything else from Wealthsimple Tax, except simple filling my tax via NETFILE. If I will receive emails/advertising - no donation from me next season.

March 5, 2021
6:05 am
canadian.100
Members

Has anyone used H&R free online software? I am told it works very well for any T-1 return.

March 5, 2021
12:20 pm
SaverJunior
Toronto
Members
Forum Posts: 51

Winnie said

Software companies never delete records from their database. When you say "delete", all they do is to mark that record as "deleted". They are just not showing you any records that were marked as "deleted". That is the practice. So you think delete is gone but it's not.

March 28, 2021
7:38 am
canadian.100
Members

I was in contact with Turbotax and they say the FREE version is internet based and one's personal information does rest on the Turbotax database - so my question is:
Is there any real difference between Turbotax and Simpletax/Wealthsimple in regard to the concerns expressed in previous posts in regard to the security and access to one's personal information? Some posters expressed concerns re the security of their information when using Simpletax/Wealthsimple - but isn't the situation similar by using FREE Turbotax? I have not yet decided which software to use but maybe it will not be the FREE versions.

April 24, 2021
8:22 pm
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109

DAMN STUDIOTAX!!!!!!!

I tried to do my tax return tonight. Couldn't do it sooner because I had to wait for T3's and amended T5's (DUCA and one other institution).

So, the first problem is when I entered my eligible Canadian taxable dividends on the T5 worksheet, let say $150. I go to the T1 and it shows $300. No matter what I enter Studiotax automatically doubles the amount. Why is this happening?

April 24, 2021
8:29 pm
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109

Norman1 said
It will take some "getting used to " if one has to enter more than two T3 slips or two T5 slips. I don't bother anymore. I just total up the boxes of the T5 slips, for example, in a spreadsheet, and enter the box totals as one T5 slip into StudioTax.  

Same here. I don't bother entering each individual slip, just the total. However, I noticed whatever gross eligible taxable Canadian dividends dollar amount I enter on the worksheet the system automatically doubles the amount.

April 25, 2021
9:32 am
Righand
Members
Forum Posts: 103

COIN said

Same here. I don't bother entering each individual slip, just the total. However, I noticed whatever gross eligible taxable Canadian dividends dollar amount I enter on the worksheet the system automatically doubles the amount.  

That's strange because I have 5 separate T-3's and the system didn't double the total amount (and the result is the same as my separate XCEL spreadsheet.)

Do you have the latest update of Studio Tax ?

April 25, 2021
9:55 am
Scruge
Alberta
Members
Forum Posts: 20

I did use Wealthsimple Tax this year for spousal linked returns and it was easy. The interview process was not as in-depth as Turbo Tax 2019 installed version but all situations seemed to be listed. There were NO nags during use and no follow-up marketing in the week since I submitted the returns. I did make donations to Wealthsimple Tax but it was less than I paid for Turbo Tax last year.

The CRA import worked really well, no entering of any T slips. The import even captured a capital loss carry-forward. CRA My Account doesn't even show that, only a cryptic table of previous gains & losses that you use to calculate your carry-forward.

April 25, 2021
10:38 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6766
100sp_Permalink sp_Print

COIN said

Righand said

That's strange because I have 5 separate T-3's and the system didn't double the total amount (and the result is the same as my separate XCEL spreadsheet.)

Do you have the latest update of Studio Tax ?

Could there have been a mix up with the actual and taxable dividend amounts?

If one enters the taxable dividend into the actual dividend field by mistake, it will get grossed up by 38% again. $100 actual dividend grossed up by 38% twice will become $190.44, almost double.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.