Proposed $2,000/month Canada Emergency Response Benefit | Page 2 | General financial discussion | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Proposed $2,000/month Canada Emergency Response Benefit
March 26, 2020
10:47 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9245
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I didn't see it, but it has been mentioned on the TV news a few times that they are hiring a significant number of people, no doubt shortish term.

March 27, 2020
6:50 am
Bud
Banned
Forum Posts: 1375

Whats going to stop anyone from applying those who dont work retirees how will they track who gets what? Sound like a free-for-all

March 31, 2020
8:18 am
happypig
Members
Forum Posts: 1

If I got laid now, should I apply EI or CerB?

If I apply EI now , it will automatically transfer to Cerberus to receive the 2000 for four months, then it will transfer back to normal regular EI?
Thanks

Cindy

March 31, 2020
10:03 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3922

Unfortunately, happypig, if you "got laid now" that doesn't qualify you for either EI or CERB.

But if you're laid off and you qualify for EI, then you can choose either, won't make a difference for the 4 months of CERB, I believe. If you've applied for EI those benefits would continue after CERB is done, is my understanding. Some say applying for CERB might get you your money quicker. Again, this is my understanding from some cursory reading, I stand to be corrected

March 31, 2020
3:53 pm
Jon
Members
Forum Posts: 418

Bill said
Unfortunately, happypig, if you "got laid now" that doesn't qualify you for either EI or CERB.

Too much information Bill, this is a child friendly area sf-surprised

But I do want to ask what happen if I am let go recently and decide to take up a job right now, am I still eligible to CERB ? I am baffle by this as I cannot find enough literature on the internet. I am not eligible to EI as I have not work enough hours.

It is probably safer to not work right now (which maybe the reason why government make it not eligible for this benefit if someone get another job right now), but I seriously need a purpose and routine in life, and only a job can provide this.

March 31, 2020
5:23 pm
Bill
Members

Jon, were you let go due to the pandemic? That's one requirement, I think. Also I believe you have to be receiving no employment income for any days you're applying for the CERB. Again, I welcome anyone to correct or corroborate what I've said, I'm not 100% sure.

March 31, 2020
6:01 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6766

One needs 14 consecutive days in the month without employment income, self-employment income, or the three other kinds of income to qualify for the CERB for that month.

That's from the fine print in section 6 of the Canada Emergency Response Benefit Act quoted earlier.

The CERB is for people who are laid off and the next opportunity is at least weeks away. Don't see $2,000 of hardship if one is laid off and has another job a few days later.

March 31, 2020
9:45 pm
Jon
Members

Norman, I am let go from my job, and I plan to take a part time retail job (not in the same field as my previous job) at the moment, my income will drop by more than 33% as a result.

I am truly worry about not working for a few months will have significant negative impact on my career, my work ethics, and my mental health.

April 1, 2020
5:13 am
Bill
Members

You can apply for any 4-week periods, beginning on a Sunday, beginning March 15 & ending October 3, in which you weren't able to work due to covid reasons for 14 consecutive days, assuming you meet the other conditions. You don't qualify if you quit voluntarily.

Jon, it's good to hear you are concerned about the effect on your work ethic, sounds like your parents did good, and good for you too.

April 1, 2020
6:15 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2875

Bud said
Whats going to stop anyone from applying those who dont work retirees how will they track who gets what? Sound like a free-for-all  

one requirement is min $5k employment income in 2019 or past 12 months.

April 1, 2020
8:06 am
ISperfection
Members
Forum Posts: 2

Hi, my mom just got Laid off last week and we are now debating if she should apply for EI or CERB. As I understand EI would give her 55% of her pay which would be about $ 1,045 per month (after tax) and CERB is $ 2,000 after tax?. But we don't know when she can apply for CERB yet or if she qualifies? . Should we wait for CERB or do the EI at the lower bracket since we cannot get CERB if we are with EI? I appreciate your input. I cannot find anything online and calling them is not working at all. Thanks.

April 1, 2020
8:44 am
Bill
Members

I believe $2000 CERB is before taxes, I think I recall reading somewhere they're keeping $200 as tax so you'll get $1800 though I haven't heard that anywhere else.

If you google "cerb vs ei" you'll find a bunch of commentary that might help. I saw somewhere that lower income folks are better off going via CERB, higher income with EI, but lots of this commentary is preliminary and details aren't all clear yet.

April 1, 2020
10:08 am
ISperfection
Members
Forum Posts: 2

Thanks. that's where i was. they are very vague on how CERB works. We ended up calling her employer and they said to apply for EI. Also, my brother's friends were helping their parents and had said they they applied for EI and had heard that EI will become CERB....? anyways. We will apply for EI just because of the unknown. This sux tho. Thanks.

April 1, 2020
11:21 am
Norman1
Members

The online portal for CERB is to become available early this month (April).

$2,000/month CERB is taxable.

I didn't hear anything about EI becoming CERB. According to the March 25 press release, EI and CERB were to remain two separate benefits:

Canadians who are already receiving EI regular and sickness benefits as of today would continue to receive their benefits and should not apply to the CERB. If their EI benefits end before October 3, 2020, they could apply for the CERB once their EI benefits cease, if they are unable to return to work due to COVID-19. Canadians who have already applied for EI and whose application has not yet been processed would not need to reapply. Canadians who are eligible for EI regular and sickness benefits would still be able to access their normal EI benefits, if still unemployed, after the 16-week period covered by the CERB.

The government is working to get money into the pockets of Canadians as quickly as possible. The portal for accessing the CERB would be available in early April. EI eligible Canadians who have lost their job can continue to apply for EI here, as can Canadians applying for other EI benefits.

Canadians would begin to receive their CERB payments within 10 days of application. The CERB would be paid every four weeks and be available from March 15, 2020 until October 3, 2020.

April 1, 2020
11:33 am
Bill
Members

Yes, I've heard EI, for those who are applying since March 15, is the same as CERB while it's around - ? One advantage of applying for EI is that it can continue, if still unemployed, after CERB ends, plus I wonder if you might have to apply and qualify again for CERB for every 4-week segment you're applying for, not sure. The good thing about CERB is it's designed to shovel money out the door asap, it'll probably be pretty much no questions asked. And why not apply for both, see what happens, you can always return any excess if you're overpaid.

I'm getting a feeling the doofus in Ottawa (I normally wouldn't refer to him that way but it seems de rigeur and socially acceptable to refer to the POTUS in similar ways so what the heck) is going to try to turn this into a guaranteed income (maybe that's why he wanted unrestrained power re finances until the end of next year) so that he will go down in history as having brought that in to the eternally-grateful Canadians.

April 1, 2020
1:46 pm
Winnie
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 463

Also, if the worker is a self-employed individual, they must operate a business (must have a business number or program account for registered business and GST/HST account) and be engaged in a business relationship with the payer.

Correct or my interpretation of "self-employed individual" is wrong?

April 1, 2020
2:45 pm
Jon
Members

I check the detail (section 7:1 - amount of payment) of the legislation and it appears that the amount of benefit is pro-rated to weekly basis. So If someone get a job 3 weeks after getting let go, they will only get 1500 dollars before tax.

April 1, 2020
3:24 pm
Bill
Members

I see no proration, if you're out of work for 14 consecutive days due to covid and you make zero income during those days you get the full amount for that 4-week period. Doesn't matter if you make lots of money, no clawback, etc. The purpose is to give money to workers who are unable to work due to covid, that's it.

April 1, 2020
3:28 pm
Bill
Members

This might help:
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/benefits/apply-for-cerb-with-cra.html

This link indicates those who qualify for EI can still apply until April 6. That's why people think EI is becoming CERB for a while.
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/cerb-application.html

Note it says "When you apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, you will receive $500 per week, regardless of what you may have been eligible to receive through Employment Insurance. However, you retain your eligibility to receive for Employment Insurance after you stop receiving the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, and the period that you received the CERB does not impact your EI entitlement."

April 1, 2020
6:05 pm
Norman1
Members

Bill said

Jon, it's good to hear you are concerned about the effect on your work ethic, sounds like your parents did good, and good for you too.

I agree. sf-smile

Unfortunately, Jon, the CERB program is not designed with your situation in mind. One has to have zero employment/self-employment income for 14 consecutive days to qualify.

If one lands another job and has a 33% drop in income (not 100% drop), then one does not qualify for the CERB.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.