March 6, 2024 - Bank of Canada holds key rate steady at 5% | Page 6 | General financial discussion | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

This topic is locked No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
March 6, 2024 - Bank of Canada holds key rate steady at 5%
March 17, 2024
8:18 am
BlueSky
Members
Forum Posts: 144
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
101sp_Permalink sp_Print

RetirEd said

So, for the moment, EVs are still for the well-heeled homeowner. We need more progress before we can get to 100% EV purchase.

Agreed.

Alexandre said

That shift will take time, but someone who does not realize it'll happen (sooner or later) is living in the last century.

If this shift is well-thought-out, done with proper long term planning, and considerations for different variables, it could potentially be embraced by the majority of Canadians.

March 17, 2024
8:47 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3924
102sp_Permalink sp_Print

As of now the reason I buy EVs is to signal I'm into the latest tech (i.e. I'm cool), that I've got extra dough to splash around and that I care about the earth and our children's futures compared to those who drive ICE vehicles who clearly don't. It goes along with all my other spending, e.g. I buy "ethically-sourced" chocolate bars at double the regular price for the same reasons, just to give one, tiny example. And you can probably guess what political party I never vote for, so more high-morals and ethics brownie points for me, thank you.

Of course those political parties, and companies who are happy to sell me stuff at premium prices, who benefit from my voting and spending also get to share in the glow of our mutual virtue-signaling, it's a very profitable image for them to project. So despite its detractors (ok, I'll admit, from the mining to final (non) disposal it's currently an environmental nightmare) the EV industry today serves a number of critical functions in our society. Or at least to me. In my opinion.

March 17, 2024
9:23 am
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1112
103sp_Permalink sp_Print

BlueSky said
If this shift is well-thought-out, done with proper long term planning, and considerations for different variables, it could potentially be embraced by the majority of Canadians.  

If Canadian government forbids selling of new combustion engine passenger vehicles as of today, the last to disappear from Canadian roads will be 20-25 years from now.

Canadian government obviously not introducing drastic changes like that. How longer "long-term" planning do you want: a century or two? OPEC would not mind.

March 17, 2024
9:27 am
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1112
104sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bill said
As of now the reason I buy EVs is to signal I'm into the latest tech (i.e. I'm cool), that I've got extra dough to splash around and that I care about the earth and our children's futures compared to those who drive ICE vehicles who clearly don't.

My next vehicle will be EV for none of the above reasons. It'll be EV because it is more convenient for me. I can charge it at my house instead of going to gas stations, I can preheat/precool it while it is parked in garage, it accelerates faster, it is much quieter to ride in.
Comfort and convenience will make EV my next car, not virtue signaling.

March 17, 2024
9:32 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2877
105sp_Permalink sp_Print

BlueSky said

While you are entitled to your opinion about "very good concensus on the benefits of visible carbon pricing like our carbon tax." The public sentiment, seeing steadily increasing carbon taxes impacting many people disposable income, is not one that favours its continuation. These carbon taxes are meant to provide failed politicians some praise on the world stage, but not from many Canadians who have to decide what life necessities to keep and what to do without. This is not about how well this government sold it to the public, but more about proving any credible "improvement" to reduce climate events just in Canada. The high costs of EVs, lack of commonplace and affordable recharging facilities, the nature of the Canadian cold climate and long distances -- these are all other issues that need credible solutions. There should be other commonsense change of habit measures that the Canadian public can afford in the long term, if not, it is doomed to fail. And BTW, this has to be an election issue. Case in point, Stephan Dion's colossal failure when he proposed carbon taxes.  

Agree !
This high moral ground re carbon emission and hence the necessity to tax the hell out of it is a mean for JT to be a "saint' in the world stage. With 100% ban on new ICE car sales by 2035, and looking at all the infrastructure that will be needed to support that change, I will bet the 2035 date will need to be push further out. In my eyes, its simply not attaintable, and our governement is always the last one to realize it. They always live in a bubble of hope.
In my mind, hybrid is the perfect transition, not a 100% commitment to EV with a short unrealistic time frame.

March 17, 2024
9:34 am
RetirEd
Members
Forum Posts: 1015
106sp_Permalink sp_Print

Alexandre: Is the Nissan Micra even on the market any more? I knew someone who bought one, about 35 years ago. It was a horrible car. I never understood why he didn't buy a good used car for the price.

I tested a Zero, the best electric motorcycle do far, five years ago; the economics were disastrous and the passenger seating terrible. And there was no way to mount a carrier rack. Hard saddlebags were well over a grand even then. It was a great performer though.

Yes, getting rid of or drastically changing internal-combustion engines is definitely in our future. We just aren't there yet, though. Overhead wiring is looking more interesting... 🙂

Pickups are needed for tradesmen and farmers, and the hybrid options for those are limited, expensive and not effective in subzero temperatures. On the other hand, SUVs are a bill of goods sold to people who are sick of uncomfortably small cars by manufacturers of uncomfortably small, unsafe cars - by turning them into "status symbols."

RetirEd

March 17, 2024
9:40 am
phrank
Members
Forum Posts: 312
107sp_Permalink sp_Print

Alexandre said

Bill said
As of now the reason I buy EVs is to signal I'm into the latest tech (i.e. I'm cool), that I've got extra dough to splash around and that I care about the earth and our children's futures compared to those who drive ICE vehicles who clearly don't.

My next vehicle will be EV for none of the above reasons. It'll be EV because it is more convenient for me. I can charge it at my house instead of going to gas stations, I can preheat/precool it while it is parked in garage, it accelerates faster, it is much quieter to ride in.
Comfort and convenience will make EV my next car, not virtue signaling.  

This is one of the major problems these days. If you buy an EV you're a virtue signalling hypocrite and if you don't buy an EV you're responsible for the end of humanity.

People should be able to purchase as they please and choose based on what makes sense to them in a free market without where others are not forced to pay or suffer for their choices or the choices of others. That's of course idealistic, but the pendulum has swung too much for my comfort in all ways.

March 17, 2024
9:53 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3924
108sp_Permalink sp_Print

More EVs means less demand for gasoline thus gas stations will close, refining reduced, more inconvenient and/or costly to find gas thus accelerate move to EVs, maybe government can force 2035 date.

March 17, 2024
12:15 pm
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2877
109sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bill said
More EVs means less demand for gasoline thus gas stations will close, refining reduced, more inconvenient and/or costly to find gas thus accelerate move to EVs, maybe government can force 2035 date.  

Is our electricity generation capcaity going to meet all that demand, or we just have rolling blackouts on those hot summer days ? And what happens to people who lives in condos, essentially every parking spot will need a charger, and that retro fit not cheap and the condo owners have to foot the bill. 2035 is only 11 years away...
I embrace most technology, but cant justify a EV based on its current form, as its not practical for Canada climate, and I am not ready to not use my left foot when driving (a good competent driver always drive a stick shift cuz thats real driving lol)

March 17, 2024
4:51 pm
Peter
Admin
Forum Posts: 1405
110sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's time to close this thread.

This topic is locked No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.