January 2023 Bank of Canada announcement | Page 3 | General financial discussion | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
January 2023 Bank of Canada announcement
January 29, 2023
10:07 am
dommm
Members
Forum Posts: 157
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

mordko said
There is “much of a stretch” because core, median, and trim CPI have shown consistent upwards trend.

Volatile gasoline prices did drop significantly due to Covid measures in China and warm winter but will jump again unless we see a recessions as energy supplies are a problem which can’t be resolved quickly. Its the large drop in energy prices which made headline inflation numbers look a bit better in recent months.

But… A serious recession would “help” with inflation. Presumably this is the most probable scenario now. Not particularly surprising. The bank was too late to act against inflation, which tends to result in a deeper recession when it is finally forced to.  

Core CPI was 147.3 in May of this year & ended the year at 149.2 so for the last 7 month of 2022 the core was up around 1.014% or 0.144% per month for those 7 months. If the core continues at that rate of increase over the next 5 months (I said if) the core will increase around 1.74% in the year from May 2022 to April of 2023. I think my math is a little off but not by much.

Mean CPI was 5.4 in May 2022 & ended the year at 5.3 so mean has actually decreased in the last 7 months. I'm too lazy to try & figure out what it would be in April of 2023 if the decrease continues at the same rate as the last 7 months but needless to say it would be a decrease over that one year time frame. I hope I have worded/explained this correctly to avoid the wrath of the correctness police but I'm sure I will hear from them if not.

January 29, 2023
10:27 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2884

Anything calculated beyond one decimal point is noise at this point of shifts in trends so I think all one can do is see what monthly CPI data points tell us over the next 6 months or so.

What I will find even more amusing is how the media will 'mess its underwear' IF (and that may be a big IF) current trends continue and YOY inflation drops to near zero by June/July this year. Most of them likely won't have a clue how to communicate the information.

Even BoC will have a hard time explaining it to consumers, especially if it has to justify why it is not dropping interest rates as quickly as consumers think they should.

Rest assured this site will have multiple threads speculating on the matter.

January 29, 2023
1:08 pm
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2875

AltaRed said
Anything calculated beyond one decimal point is noise at this point of shifts in trends so I think all one can do is see what monthly CPI data points tell us over the next 6 months or so.

What I will find even more amusing is how the media will 'mess its underwear' IF (and that may be a big IF) current trends continue and YOY inflation drops to near zero by June/July this year. Most of them likely won't have a clue how to communicate the information.

Even BoC will have a hard time explaining it to consumers, especially if it has to justify why it is not dropping interest rates as quickly as consumers think they should.

Rest assured this site will have multiple threads speculating on the matter.  

Rate cut is a shot in the arm of a dying economy due to severe recession or fear of it. Just because inflation goes back down to 2-3% does not warrant a rate cut at all. If inflation steady at 2% forever, so will the o/n rate, whatever the rate is.

February 1, 2023
3:59 am
TommyT
Banned
Forum Posts: 127

mechone said
I agree with Dean , if January's numbers are still high I can see them change . Also the feds in the US play a role if they go I believe we go  

Inflation will be higher in January than in December of last year in Canada. Only used car prices fell. In America slightly higher (or a push) in January compared to December but nowhere as bad as in Canada. Tiff will be forced to raise rates again as the U.S. Fed is slated to raise 3 times this year. Core CPI was 5.34 percent in December in Canada the Bank of Canada rate should be at least 5.50 percent. Core CPI should come in right around 5.50 for January in Canada.

February 1, 2023
4:03 am
TommyT
Banned

mechone said
I agree with Dean , if January's numbers are still high I can see them change . Also the feds in the US play a role if they go I believe we go  

Inflation will be higher in January than in December of last year in Canada. Only used car prices fell. In America slightly higher (or a push) in January compared to December but nowhere as bad as in Canada. Tiff will be forced to raise rates again as the U.S. Fed is slated to raise 3 times this year. Core CPI was 5.34 percent in December in Canada the Bank of Canada rate should be at least 5.50 percent. Core CPI should come in right around 5.50 for January in Canada.

mordko said
CPI wasn’t “zero”. If you are trying to say that inflation was zero (aka CPI didn’t change), you would be correct but inflation is measured on an annualized basis and there is a good reason for that.

Core inflation remained very high; only the notoriously volatile oil prices helped to reduce the headline number a bit.  

The price of gasoline was rigged all last year so it can only go higher this year as Biden has to replenish the oil fields at much higher prices and the gasoline tax cuts run out.

February 1, 2023
11:42 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

Fed raises 25bps and remains hawkish.
Will see if that prompts the BoC to hike one more time in March.

February 2, 2023
2:56 am
mechone
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 174

savemoresaveoften said
Fed raises 25bps and remains hawkish.
Will see if that prompts the BoC to hike one more time in March.  

If I was a betting man after it was released that inflation slowed to 6.3% ,however freezing of some grocery prices have come off Feb 1st and expect even higher prices , the US Fed raised and said there will be more ,the BOC would be making a grave error not to raise again in March , and that still will not be enough. If they do pause expect the Canadaian dollar to fall which will even cause more inflation as most goods are bought from US

February 2, 2023
4:14 am
mordko
Members
Forum Posts: 824

The Feds move is in line with expectations, so nothing has changed to impact the “pause” forecast for Canada’s rate hikes. New information on inflationary pressures prior to the March announcement can impact the rates either way.

February 2, 2023
7:32 am
mechone
Ontario
Members

mordko said
The Feds move is in line with expectations, so nothing has changed to impact the “pause” forecast for Canada’s rate hikes. New information on inflationary pressures prior to the March announcement can impact the rates either way.  

Clearly if US rate is higher and Canada in the past has had a higher rate to support our dollar ,pausing will see our dollar fall and inflation increase . Seems to me its political pressure being put on BOC as many Canadians are in trouble and are pointing the finger at our current government and their policies , the rate should go up .5
This partly the BOC's fault they should have started raising rates last summer instead of waiting

February 3, 2023
5:49 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

Another blow out US nfp report and unemployment at 3.4% (40+ years low).
Fed will go at least 1-2 more hikes, will be 25bps a clip tho.

Btw, I see some called the BoC the Fed on this forum, that is wrong sf-wink

US fed is the Fed, no need to specify "US" Fed. BoC is BoC. BoC dont call itself the Fed at all. sf-wink

February 3, 2023
7:33 am
TommyT
Banned

savemoresaveoften said
Another blow out US nfp report and unemployment at 3.4% (40+ years low).
Fed will go at least 1-2 more hikes, will be 25bps a clip tho.

Btw, I see some called the BoC the Fed on this forum, that is wrong sf-wink

US fed is the Fed, no need to specify "US" Fed. BoC is BoC. BoC dont call itself the Fed at all. sf-wink  

Very good news out of America and their fraud ponzi stock market will put a floor on any decreases in interest rates as fair market value is some 80 to 90 percent lower.

February 3, 2023
7:42 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2884

mechone said

Clearly if US rate is higher and Canada in the past has had a higher rate to support our dollar ,pausing will see our dollar fall and inflation increase . Seems to me its political pressure being put on BOC as many Canadians are in trouble and are pointing the finger at our current government and their policies , the rate should go up .5
This partly the BOC's fault they should have started raising rates last summer instead of waiting  

As Mordko said, The Fed increase was in line with expectations. It does not necessarily follow that BoC will follow with more rate increases even if the Fed does another one or two 25bp increases. The loonie might falter a bit if the gap between US and Cdn rates gets too wide but not necessarily.

The Fed is having a harder time getting US inflation down than is BoC in Canada, partly because housing (and mortgage) markets are so different and US stimulus remains large. As I understand it, Canadians are more indebted than Americans and too many Canadians have variable rate mortgages and 1-5 year term mortgages that have reset while Americans typically are in 25 year fixed rate mortgages and have had minimal impact on their debt servicing costs (demand loans notwithstanding).

What will happen in the future is just guesses and speculation but I think BoC is rightfully on pause for the time being.

February 3, 2023
7:43 am
TommyT
Banned

mechone said

If I was a betting man after it was released that inflation slowed to 6.3% ,however freezing of some grocery prices have come off Feb 1st and expect even higher prices , the US Fed raised and said there will be more ,the BOC would be making a grave error not to raise again in March , and that still will not be enough. If they do pause expect the Canadaian dollar to fall which will even cause more inflation as most goods are bought from US  

All throughout history Canadian interest rates were always higher than American interest rates until Poloz got into power. Something went awry with financial policy in this country at that point in time. Canada needs higher rates than America to reduce the imbalances in personal debt levels between the two countries.

February 10, 2023
11:55 am
mechone
Ontario
Members

BOC says they will freeze rate hikes ! job numbers out 100,000 created in Dec and 150,000 created in January 10x what BOC expected. I thinks rates will climb

April 12, 2023
8:08 am
RetirEd
Members
Forum Posts: 1013

The April BoC rate announcement is just out: No change. 4.5% continues.

You may return to life as it was.
RetirEd

RetirEd

April 12, 2023
7:00 pm
Vatox
Members
Forum Posts: 1218

RetirEd said
The April BoC rate announcement is just out: No change. 4.5% continues.

You may return to life as it was.
RetirEd  

It’s not over yet! That’s still high inflation. It needs to be half that!

April 12, 2023
7:22 pm
mordko
Members
Forum Posts: 824

BoC is predicting 3% inflation by mid-summer. Perhaps they are expecting a recession or for a bank or two to go bust.

April 12, 2023
7:22 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3920

From today's announcement:

"CPI inflation eased to 5.2% in February, and the Bank’s preferred measures of core inflation were just under 5%. The Bank expects CPI inflation to fall quickly to around 3% in the middle of this year and then decline more gradually to the 2% target by the end of 2024...................(The Bank) remains prepared to raise the policy rate further if needed to return inflation to the 2% target. The Bank remains resolute in its commitment to restoring price stability for Canadians."

In my view upcoming public sector union wage settlements could, along with labour shortages, set off a general wage spiral making the return to 2% anytime soon a fantasy, that's what I'm watching.

April 12, 2023
10:18 pm
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1164

Bill said
From today's announcement:

"CPI inflation eased to 5.2% in February"

In my view upcoming public sector union wage settlements could, along with labour shortages, set off a general wage spiral making the return to 2% anytime soon a fantasy, that's what I'm watching.  

Rate previously slowed to 5.9 per cent in January
Means that the Feds and unions did not spend/demand enough. They should have wasted 0.6% more. That way, they could still claim that inflation was decreasing while burning up every last penny possible.

April 13, 2023
4:12 am
RetirEd
Members
Forum Posts: 1013

Vatox: I meant "return to your life as it was" for the next three months!

It's true, Bill, that inflation in wages and prices have narrowed their gap to a small negative relationship. What will happen is of course unknown. Many demands are being made, but other workers are being marginalized into gigwork or having intense Amazon-style work metrics being imposed on them, often doubling their work loads. Massive web-based businesses are ejecting staff at amazing rates and more and more work is offshored or contracted out.

Some win, some lose. The stats are only that.
RetirEd

RetirEd

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.