2018 12 03 Post Promo GIC Rates | DUCA Credit Union | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
2018 12 03 Post Promo GIC Rates
November 8, 2018
6:23 am
Nehpets
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 981
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

DUCA currently pays 3.25% on its promo savings rate that expires Dec 3, 2018.

According to an online CSR with whom I spoke this morning, effective Dec 3, DUCA will offer 3.00% on a one year GIC and 3.15% on a 2 year GIC.

Stephen

November 8, 2018
3:43 pm
GR
Members
Forum Posts: 632

A rep from DUCA phoned with two GIC promo offers after the expiry of the current savings account promo:

1yr GIC 3.00% p.a or
3 yr GIC 3.25% p.a. cashable at same rate annually on each anniversary date

November 8, 2018
3:55 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9244

GR said
A rep from DUCA phoned with two GIC promo offers after the expiry of the current savings account promo:

1yr GIC 3.00% p.a or
3 yr GIC 3.25% p.a. cashable at same rate annually on each anniversary date  

Just to be clear, do you mean, in the second offer, that they effectively offered the potential of a one-year GIC at 3.25? I just want to b sure that it wasn't an "escalator" type.
If yes, this would be competitive with Meridian, but not with OmniaDirect.
Nobody has called me yet.sf-cry
But there is still time...

November 8, 2018
9:38 pm
GR
Members
Forum Posts: 632

Loonie said

Just to be clear, do you mean, in the second offer, that they effectively offered the potential of a one-year GIC at 3.25? I just want to b sure that it wasn't an "escalator" type.
If yes, this would be competitive with Meridian, but not with OmniaDirect.
Nobody has called me yet.sf-cry
But there is still time...  

No, it is not an escalator GIC. Yes, my understanding is that you can redeem the 3 year GIC after one year on the anniversary date without penalty and get 3.25% p.a.
I was contacted by a DUCA rep from 1-866-900-3822.

November 9, 2018
7:46 am
Loonie
Members

thx

November 10, 2018
7:01 am
AlainJF
Members
Forum Posts: 184

Loonie said

I got this offered to me as well by phone, and I asked the question many times:

"Is this in fact a 1 year GIC @ 3.25%, renewable for a total of 3 years, compounded yearly, and cashable yearly ? Answer from DUCA: Yes, that is what it is.

I did not see any "text" confirming this, and I would like to see it... If someone has the text about it, could you share here please.

November 10, 2018
8:03 am
anitavirginia
Members
Forum Posts: 33

Just spoke to representative,. and she stated that she would send me an email outlining the details of the 3 yr gic, 3.25% offer. She stated that this offer is not posted on their web site.

November 10, 2018
10:16 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2874

I was also offered the 3y annual cashable 3.25% GIC. Given they post cashable GIC at reduced rate if redeem early, I like to see the offer too in writing if possible just so no confusion (given the 3.25% offer expires Dec 3rd)

November 10, 2018
10:50 am
Loonie
Members

I think it's basically a retention offer, so might only be available to those of us who signed up for the current savings deal, or maybe someone who specifically asks for it. Therefore would not be on their website. They might decide to make it for the general public later - or not. I think they are trying to ward off large withdrawals on Dec 4 by getting people to take out a GIC now. Can't blame them. It makes good business sense.
I think they should make the T&C available to you when you log in though.

November 12, 2018
12:57 pm
anitavirginia
Members
Forum Posts: 33

still haven't received written confirmation re this offer, after they promised to email me something.

Has anyone, received confirmation in writing.

November 13, 2018
7:44 am
Nehpets
Ontario
Members

anitavirginia said
still haven't received written confirmation re this offer, after they promised to email me something.

Submitted my own written request today for clarification...hoping for a timely response.

Stephen

November 14, 2018
3:56 am
AlainJF
Members

anitavirginia said

I specifically asked for it, and I was told that nothing written is available at this moment for distribution.

"Has anyone, received confirmation in writing" remains a valid question !

November 15, 2018
9:50 am
Nehpets
Ontario
Members

Duca's retention offer is a one year GIC at 3%, cashable at 6 months at 2.75%, or a three year GIC at 3.25% cashable at every anniversary.

Have not got this in writing, but from my notes taken in a telephone conversation with CSR.

Stephen

November 15, 2018
10:42 am
Loonie
Members

I doubt we'll see anything in writing til Dec 3 or 4. The offer doesn't kick in until the old one ends. And it appears to be restricted to people who participated in the current one - at least for the moment.

That said, I don't anticipate any hitches with the offer. However, it seems strange to offer two different versions - a one year GIC at 3% and one at 3.25%. Is there some condition that will make it difficult to cash in after one year at 3.25? Seems to me it would be in their interests to just offer the deal that lasts longer. But what do I know? lol

The problem is, if I'd wanted to put it in at 3.25 for a year, I coulda done that already at Meridian already. The money I have at DUCA is meant to remain in cash, so it's unlikely it will remain there.

I kind of like DUCA though, despite some wrong info given to me by their in-branch-person-with-a-desk, I'd like to find a reason to stay with them, but this isn't it. Still looking for an exceptional four-year rate....

November 15, 2018
1:41 pm
Nehpets
Ontario
Members

Just received a written confirmation by return email:

...promotional rates for only the funds in our Earn More Promotional Account. You can add more funds to these rate exceptions.

1 year @3.00%, cashable after 6 months at 2.75%.

3 years @3.25% Cashable on anniversary

5 years @3.50%

November 23, 2018
3:41 am
AlainJF
Members

This is the only written communication that I got:

-------------------------------------------
Now that you're here...stay with us!
Exclusive high interest offers for our fall Earn More Promotion participants
Thank you for participating in DUCA's Earn More Savings Promotion Account offer of 3.25%. This attractive promotion will continue to earn more for you over the next few weeks as the promotional rate ends after December 3.

Let us show you how you can continue to save with DUCA! We have a number of exclusive deposit offers available to you as soon as the current promotion ends.

Your branch manager and team will contact you in the coming days to share details of our exclusive offers.

Can't wait to be called?
Contact us before December 4 to discover our Special Offers.
Feel free to reach out to your branch or call 1.866.900.3822 and let them know you'd like to Earn More!
-------------------------------------------

December 3, 2018
5:34 am
AlainJF
Members

Today (Dec 3rd) is the last day...

What have you decided to do ? Stay with the new DUCA GIC "special" offer or move somewhere else ? What is(are) the best alternative(s) for you ?

December 3, 2018
9:11 am
Nehpets
Ontario
Members

I'll leave a portion with DUCA in their 3 year, annually cashable 3.25% GIC deal.

Stephen

December 3, 2018
1:44 pm
Loonie
Members

I'm putting some in the EQ 3 month at 3.33, and the rest i'm parking at Hubert in HISA and one year until something better comes along. Some will go into 2019 TFSA.

Why DUCA would think that a GIC is a reasonable substitute for a HISA beats me. If I'd wanted a GIC for this money, I would have taken one out in the first place. They should at least offer a good short term deposit like EQ's, if they want to hang on to the money.

NOTE: Withdrawal limits at DUCA are 50K per day, 250K per week, 500K per month. I should have started last week!sf-cry

December 4, 2018
7:40 am
Nehpets
Ontario
Members

Loonie said
I'm putting some in the EQ 3 month at 3.33  

If you don't mind putting up with EQ's intolerable behavior and practices..

Withdrawal limits at DUCA are 50K per day......

I had forgotten about that too, however yesterday's EFT arrived at the destination FI later the same day...I'm hoping the same will occur with subsequent transfers.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.