Rogers World Elite Mastercard getting worse starting June 2, 2020 | Page 3 | Credit card reward programs | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Rogers World Elite Mastercard getting worse starting June 2, 2020
May 6, 2020
4:04 pm
Briguy
Members
Forum Posts: 716
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

dougjp said
My wife? Has the Rogers basic MC card about to lose the benefits, doesn't seem to care 🙁 A Visa card giving back zip but seems to be a "comfortable pew" 🙁 Oh well !  

Happy wife, Happy life !!

May 7, 2020
12:52 pm
Nehpets
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 982

From Rogers email received today:

Annual Spend requirement
On your March statement, we provided information about the $15,000 annual spend requirement to maintain your RogersTM World EliteÂź MastercardÂź account. We want to reassure you there is plenty of time to qualify. The first qualification period will begin on August 1, 2020 (and end on July 31, 2021). As the current situation continues to evolve, we will monitor and adjust our plan as needed to meet the needs of our cardholders.

Stephen

May 8, 2020
7:18 pm
Save2Retire@55
Members
Forum Posts: 845

I didn't receive this email. Sounds they sent this only to those below the $15K spending limit. Doesn't sound good that they are going to enforce it.

May 9, 2020
4:33 am
rodeworthy
Members
Forum Posts: 193

Save2Retire@55 said
I didn't receive this email. Sounds they sent this only to those below the $15K spending limit. Doesn't sound good that they are going to enforce it.  

With the jet set Rogers seems to want to cater to grounded, maybe they are having second thoughts about the minimum spending requirement. The language of the original information and the reminder (I didn't get one either) leads me to believe they are keeping their options open on this one. Saw a report the other day that cc spending is very low. How long that will continue is anyone's guess.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, Rogers.

May 9, 2020
10:17 am
vincent
Members
Forum Posts: 8

As far as I know, Costco is not grocery. So in no fee cards, which card would be best alternatives for Rogers Elite card for cash back?

May 9, 2020
1:21 pm
Yatti420
Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 413

I still use Amex Simply (no-fee) and Tangerine (3 categories) ... I haven't seen the need to upgrade.. I rarely travel and would never put a charge on a CAD card unless nescessary... If the Brim card is free and still has no forex at all i'd look at it for the odd time id ever want that direct USD purchase etc.. You definitely don't want paypal etc doing cash conversion thats' first step for most people!!

May 9, 2020
2:04 pm
Briguy
Members
Forum Posts: 716

vincent said
As far as I know, Costco is not grocery. So in no fee cards, which card would be best alternatives for Rogers Elite card for cash back?  

I would still use Rogers Elite at Costco since 1.5 % is still higher than any other no fee card. The other issue is Walmart stores- regular Walmarts are classified as department stores and Walmart Superstores are usually classified as grocery stores,

So at a regular Walmart use your Rogers Elite, and at a Walmart Superstore use a credit card that earns more at grocery stores, eg. Tangerine cc if that is one of your preferred categories.

May 10, 2020
5:39 am
vincent
Members
Forum Posts: 8

Briguy said

I would still use Rogers Elite at Costco since 1.5 % is still higher than any other no fee card. The other issue is Walmart stores- regular Walmarts are classified as department stores and Walmart Superstores are usually classified as grocery stores,

So at a regular Walmart use your Rogers Elite, and at a Walmart Superstore use a credit card that earns more at grocery stores, eg. Tangerine cc if that is one of your preferred categories.  

Agree that 1.5% is still good. However, I may not spend 15000 a year on the card, which I mainly use on Costco. For grocery I choose to use triangle card which provide 3% rewards points. Looks like capital one minimum provides 1% for everything. I am wondering is there any free card paying more than 1% for Costco?

May 10, 2020
8:53 pm
Save2Retire@55
Members

Same here. For Grocery I use Triangle 3% and also MBNA 2%.
Rogers was for every foreign transaction plus everything not Grocery or Gas.

May 10, 2020
9:53 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9245
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

vincent said

As far as I know, there is no free card that gives better than 1% for CostCo (Canada). CostCo doesn't accept Visa or Amex. However, if you buy their gas, you can use a MC that pays a better return for gas category.
Another way around it is to get a fee-based MC on a promotional deal where the first year is free, if the card has a good return on all "other" purchases. You just have to make sure it is a card where you can get your money back before having to sign up for a second year. At the end of the year, you may find another card that is to your liking.

May 11, 2020
7:15 am
rodeworthy
Members
Forum Posts: 193

We use Rogers’ WE MC and the same card from Triangle.
It has been simple to track the cashback with the Rogers card to the penny. They credit the cashback to the whole purchase cost. 1.75% or 2% for Rogers services. Never a deviation there.

No so much with the Triangle card. They have variable rate depending on what you buy. It seems to me they must credit the before tax value of purchases for cashback purposes. I understand the 3% for groceries, 4% for CTC related companies and 1% for others. Cannot find a way to figure out what they are crediting.

When redeeming Rogers cashback credits against purchases I note they pay the cashback on the purchased item and then credit the amount specified from our cashback balance. We earn cashback on all purchases – even those paid for with cashback redemption.

This is different at CTC. When we deem to use our eMoney towards a purchase at CTC, there is no credit to our cashback balance for the item purchased. This is different from years ago with CTC money. You could use your stash of CTC money to buy an item and still receive CTC money for the purchase. Now we are losing the cashback on those purchases that we choose to pay for by redeeming our ‘points’.

Does anyone know if there is another way to redeem Triangle cashback other than purchases at CTC?

I have also noted on my Rogers bill that purchases at LCBO are listed as a grocery purchase. Does Triangle recognize LCBO purchases as grocery and pay the 3%?

Enquiring minds want to know.

May 11, 2020
7:41 am
Nehpets
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 982

Loonie said .......
Another way around it is to get a fee-based MC on a promotional deal where the first year is free,........ you just have to make sure it is a card where you can get your money back before having to sign up for a second year. At the end of the year, you may find another card that is to your liking.  

I came across the following article that discusses retention offers from CC issuers when renewal time arrives for fee based CC's:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/ultimate-guide-credit-card-retention-offers/

Not a topic I've seen discussed here and wondering what success people may have had in trying to negotiate with Canadian fee based CC issuers.

Stephen

May 11, 2020
1:44 pm
Loonie
Members

We've never tried negotiating the fee except if we think the FI owes me something for some reason. They have been accommodating on such rare occasions. I haven't read the article Stephen cites, so perhaps this idea is there, but have found that you can sometimes negotiate to receive bonus points which compensate for the fee.

There are people who enjoy negotiating and there are those of us who hate it, myself included. Where possible, I get spouse, who seems to almost enjoy it, to do it.

June 2, 2020
8:28 pm
picassocat
Québec
Members
Forum Posts: 273

hwyc said
Plus annual min spend of $15,000 requirement or else ... sf-surprised  

«Starting June 2, 2020, Rogers World Elite Mastercard accounts must have an annual minimum spend (i.e. the total of Purchases made,
less any Purchase returns) of at least $15,000 posted to the Account during each annual review period in order to maintain your eligibility
for the Account. An annual review period commences on August 1st of a year and ends on July 31st of the following year, with the first
annual review period commencing on August 1, 2020. If you have not maintained the annual minimum spend during an annual review
period, we reserve the right to switch the Account to another Rogers Bank credit card product on or after November 1st in the next ensuing
annual review period without any impact to the rewards earned up to the date of the switch. This means that you may lose the insurance
coverages and other premium benefits that are exclusive to the Rogers World Elite Mastercard account and that you will be switched to
the new card's Rewards program. Accounts open for less than 18 months prior to the end of any annual review period will not need to
meet the annual minimum spend requirement for that annual review period. You will retain the full value of your Rewards earned prior to
June 2, 2020. »

Reference: https://www.rogersbank.com/legaldocs/en/change_in_terms_world_elite.pdf

So, it's not that bad, you may be bumped down to a lower card, but you don't lose what you have gained.

June 2, 2020
8:48 pm
picassocat
Québec
Members

beta2020 said

Save2Retire@55 said

Cancelling the cash back for all but USD is a very bad move! I barely go the states and I will NOT use this card for any non-USD related purchases which means I'd barely hit $15K a year.

They are cancelling the cashback for foreign currency purchases not made in USD, like Euros or whatever. If its a purchase done in Canadian dollars you get 1.5% back.

So the Tangerine card gets 2% back in 3 categories.. I still don't think I would personally come out ahead over 1.5% back on every category.  

Tangerine only offers 2% in 3 categories, for the rest of your purchases you only get .5%

I chose 3 categories where I spend the most, but after a month, this only worked out to less than 1%, because the .5% kills me on the rest. Better go for a card that pays 1-1.5% on everything.

June 3, 2020
1:04 am
cruzinalong
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 223

picassocat said

Tangerine only offers 2% in 3 categories, for the rest of your purchases you only get .5%

I chose 3 categories where I spend the most, but after a month, this only worked out to less than 1%, because the .5% kills me on the rest. Better go for a card that pays 1-1.5% on everything.  

I have used a card that pays 1 1/2% cashback for years. I do not believe you get more by paying any annual fee. I have seen cards that promise 2% or more on certain goods. I believe they are for very few people.

June 11, 2020
8:21 am
picassocat
Québec
Members

Just received the Rogers World Elite MasterCard, activating the cars and choosing a NIP was a breeze via their web site. Redeeming your cash back is particular if you don’t, like me, have an intelligent phone. You must wait until you have a minimum of 20$ cash back credit and apply this to your next purchase. Of course, your «next» purchase must be equal or superior to your cash back amount requested. As long as it works!

June 11, 2020
11:14 pm
Loonie
Members

I support and congratulate everyone who is improving their rewards by juggling several cards.

For me, it's too much effort and too big a wallet! I once calculated that each additional card would bring me around $40-$75 /year extra, and decided it wasn't worth it to me. When I was younger, though, I probably would have done it.

I've received the biggest "rewards", by far, from the add-ons that come with my major bank fee-based card.
The extended warranty saved me over $1,000 last year on computer repairs. I got about an extra year's use out of the computer, which also saved me on purchase cost pro-rated.
And, in the past, I've saved well over $10,000 on CLDW car insurance, especially during several years when we did not own a car but rented frequently.

I've gotten to like this card, which we've had for several decades. Got it on a promotion then. The customer service has been excellent, and that's hard to come by so I'll probably stick with it. We do make a profit on it, but not as much as juggling cards.

Mine is a travel rewards card that reimburses expenses at 1.25% on everything. The insurance package is worth the fee, to me. I called today to check, and nothing has changed - yet!

One thing I learned when I called today is that parking fees count as travel expenses and can be reimbursed on this travel card once you get enough points for the minimum redemption. I don't attempt to accumulate a lot of points and use them up on occasional hotel stays. Today I redeemed $130 in parking charges. We made a lot of hospital visits in Feb/March, and the parking lot there is expensive and has a monopoly on parking in the area. This information may be useful to someone else who has a travel card and hasn't been able to use their rewards lately.

June 12, 2020
11:27 am
picassocat
Québec
Members

beta2020 said
Regarding global wifi, I think that is for when you're in one of those US airports that don't offer wifi unless you pay? See: https://redeem.boingo.com/mcsi/
Perhaps it works elsewhere too.  

Certain US airports have Boingo and most MasterCard’s offer this service (my BMO air miles & Tangerine work: check your card here: https://redeem.boingo.com/mcsi/

See where free Boingo service is available here: https://wifi.boingo.com/

I doubt I will ever use this service, maybe Chicago or Miami airports.

June 12, 2020
4:40 pm
Save2Retire@55
Members

Loonie - First I am sorry to hear you had to do lots of Hospital visits. I hope everything is ok now and you and family are doing fine.
I am one of those CC Hoppers but I will not do it for anything less than $200 a year. Honestly, it is not a complicated thing to do nowadays. Everything is online. Fill in submit, wait. Either receive or not. That's about it.
Ex. My recent card was the TD Card. I got 10% for 3 months max $2000 purchase. That's a $200. Also I will keep it before the renewal as it is 3% for Grocery and Gas.

May I know what your CC is? And yes, I have never ever paid for CDW around the world. Many times I have to show them a paper from the CC company saying they cover that region, etc. I used MBNA and Rogers for the Car Insurance.

What I am looking for now is a card that covers at least 3 weeks of Travel Health Insurance. Even the $120 TD card (Waived fee first year) is for only 10 days. Same with Rogers Elite and MBNA. They are all good for cars though but anytime I travel for more than 10 days, I have to buy separate insurance for the remaining days. Last time it was $82 for extra 10 days for family. The most basic coverage.

I did extensive research and found "Meridian Visa Infinite Travel" to be what I need. $99. 3% back on FX but 2.5% fee so almost nothing back. 1.5% on all CAD. But it has 48 days Health coverage.
The other one is Meridian too. "Meridian Visa Infinite Cash Back" $99
4% on gas and grocery - 2% pharmacy and utility bills - 1% everything else
Same insurance as above card but lose 1.5% money on foreign transactions. I wish they had a card to mix this 2 cards together for a little more fees. Maybe $129 a year. I'd get that and keep it.

Talking about card insurance. I wanted to test Rogers World Elite MC insurance. In my last planned trip, it was first cancelled due to the weather for 2 days (Welcome to the Capitals Storms). So I only ended up paying for 1 day parking in the airport. After this, Corona happened so I cancelled and got refund for the whole trip except that 1 day parking. I called them and reported this. Sent the application (Isn't worth the time but I wanted to see if it works) and receipts and they indeed refunded me the parking fees! Not sure if they did it cause it was a small amount.
Any other recommendations?

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.