Rogers Bank (basic) Mastercard Rewards clarification and strategies? | Credit card reward programs | Discussion forum

Please consider registering
guest

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —




— Match —





— Forum Options —





Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Rogers Bank (basic) Mastercard Rewards clarification and strategies?
March 20, 2024
7:14 pm
Hmm
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 122
Member Since:
May 21, 2016
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I recently got a Rogers credit card after seeing their 3% offer on their app. I'm trying to understand how the rewards system works and could use some clarification.

So, here's what I've gathered:

I've linked my Rogers Mobile account to my Rogers basic Mastercard, which seems to boost my rewards.

I've also added my Shaw Home account as a preauthorized payment to my Rogers Mastercard, but it's not linked.

I was told that linking my accounts could lead to earning 2% on all purchases, with the potential for more if I transfer the rewards. For example, shopping at places like Wal-Mart or Costco could earn me 3% towards my Rogers or Shaw bill.

Am I getting this right? Can anyone explain how this actually works in practice? Also, any tips or strategies for making the most of these rewards would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

March 20, 2024
8:38 pm
smayer97
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 802
Member Since:
September 29, 2017
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Default earn rate is 1% on all purchases. If you have a Rogers or Shaw service that is linked to your card, you earn an extra 1% on all purchases, for a total of 2%.

When redeeming rewards MANUALLY, if you apply the rewards to pay for your Rogers or Shaw service, Rogers MC will award you an additional 50% of the rewards used.

This effectively results in getting up to an additional 1%, as long as the cost of your Rogers or Shaw service you are paying for matches or exceeds the amount of rewards used.

Note that this is not guaranteed to work if you set up the rewards to be automatically applied, because you cannot set it up so that your rewards are automatically applied towards your Rogers or Shaw service.

So, before earning rewards, make sure your Rogers or Shaw service is linked, then make sure to manually apply your rewards to pay for those services to get the maximum reward.

HTH

March 20, 2024
8:43 pm
MDJ
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 52
Member Since:
March 14, 2024
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hmm said
I recently got a Rogers credit card after seeing their 3% offer on their app. I'm trying to understand how the rewards system works and could use some clarification.

So, here's what I've gathered:

I've linked my Rogers Mobile account to my Rogers basic Mastercard, which seems to boost my rewards.

I've also added my Shaw Home account as a preauthorized payment to my Rogers Mastercard, but it's not linked.

I was told that linking my accounts could lead to earning 2% on all purchases, with the potential for more if I transfer the rewards. For example, shopping at places like Wal-Mart or Costco could earn me 3% towards my Rogers or Shaw bill.

Am I getting this right? Can anyone explain how this actually works in practice? Also, any tips or strategies for making the most of these rewards would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help!  

IMG_0274.jpegIMG_0273.jpeg

You must have one of these. They made some changes that go into effect in April.IMG_0275.jpeg

March 20, 2024
10:15 pm
lifeonanisland
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 238
Member Since:
January 13, 2022
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I have the card and have found it's all it's advertised to be, although the sign up process left much to be desired. It's working well. A 48K yearly spend means most of my yearly fees of roughly $1500 for Shaw/Rogers services are paid for via the 3% reward. PM me if you have any specific questions.

March 21, 2024
5:09 am
savemoresaveoften
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 2898
Member Since:
March 30, 2017
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Everything you charge to the card earns u 2% rebate, regardless of who the vendor is. This will be rebate balance. When you go to the rewards transaction tab, you should see each charge will show 2 separate 1% rebate lines, 1% for everyone, 1% for those who has Rogers / Shaws service subscription. Thats your total 2%

To make sure you only want to redeem against specific charges like your Rogers / Shaw bills, set your rewards redemption preference set to MANUAL.

To redeem for Rogers/Shaw bill etc, you need to charge your Rogers bill to the card as well.

When you are ready to redeem (min. $10), select the specific Rogers/Shaw bill payment transactions, and the extra 50% bonus will be applied automatically. You can redeem bill payment upto 3 months in the past (meaning even if you already pay that past Rogers bill in full, you can still go back and redeem against it.)

e.g rebate balance = $10, Thats worth $15 against a Rogers/Shaw bill redemption. So if your redeem your balance of $10 against a Rogers/Shaw bill say $30, u are paying $30 and getting back $15 after redemption.

And it works for Fido bills too.

This card is the best no fee card right now, earning 3% on everything as long as you have a Rogers subscription.

March 21, 2024
10:05 am
anitavirginia
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 33
Member Since:
June 2, 2018
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Is this just for Rogers cell phone plans, or can you get this if you only have Rogers home internet.

March 21, 2024
11:16 am
lifeonanisland
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 238
Member Since:
January 13, 2022
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

anitavirginia said
Is this just for Rogers cell phone plans, or can you get this if you only have Rogers home internet.  

Any Rogers product, including current Shaw internet packages.

March 21, 2024
12:57 pm
savemoresaveoften
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 2898
Member Since:
March 30, 2017
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

anitavirginia said
Is this just for Rogers cell phone plans, or can you get this if you only have Rogers home internet.  

any Rogers / Shaw / Fido cellphone or internet plan qualifies.

March 21, 2024
4:18 pm
anitavirginia
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 33
Member Since:
June 2, 2018
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

how do i link my CC to my rogers internet account.?

March 21, 2024
4:22 pm
anitavirginia
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 33
Member Since:
June 2, 2018
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Do I do this through the Rogers CC online account or the
rogers internet online account.

March 21, 2024
4:27 pm
mordko
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 848
Member Since:
April 27, 2017
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Credit card account

March 21, 2024
4:43 pm
anitavirginia
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 33
Member Since:
June 2, 2018
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

i don't see where i can link , I am signed in online through computer.
Do I need to use the app instead? ( which I have not installed on my phone, yet).

I would rather do it on the computer if possible.

March 21, 2024
8:41 pm
MDJ
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 52
Member Since:
March 14, 2024
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

So are you folks saying:
This credit card with “one only” Fido, Shaw, or Rogers Home or Mobile product gives 2% cash back on all purchases and 3% on the Fido, Shaw, or Rogers home or Mobile products?

Then:
IMG_0276.jpeg

With this $50 mobile plan you would get another $15 off of your home plan too?

And there would be no more savings by taking the minimum requirements (other than the 3% cash back)? <= I mean with minimum purchases a I get maximum cash back and would have room left to buy other competitive priced home services or additional (for spouse) mobile service? Likely only for a mobile service.

And get all the free Shaw Rogers hotspots with auto login?

They just offered me at the door T.V. and internet for $85. Trying to steal away Telus customers. And I had just renegotiated my Telus services. But would have moved. They also offered to pay the first $500 of $865 of early termination charges of my Telus agreement.

March 21, 2024
9:30 pm
Hmm
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 122
Member Since:
May 21, 2016
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

lifeonanisland said
I have the card and have found it's all it's advertised to be, although the sign up process left much to be desired. It's working well. A 48K yearly spend means most of my yearly fees of roughly $1500 for Shaw/Rogers services are paid for via the 3% reward. PM me if you have any specific questions.  

smayer97 said
Default earn rate is 1% on all purchases. If you have a Rogers or Shaw service that is linked to your card, you earn an extra 1% on all purchases, for a total of 2%.

When redeeming rewards MANUALLY, if you apply the rewards to pay for your Rogers or Shaw service, Rogers MC will award you an additional 50% of the rewards used.

This effectively results in getting up to an additional 1%, as long as the cost of your Rogers or Shaw service you are paying for matches or exceeds the amount of rewards used.

Note that this is not guaranteed to work if you set up the rewards to be automatically applied, because you cannot set it up so that your rewards are automatically applied towards your Rogers or Shaw service.

So, before earning rewards, make sure your Rogers or Shaw service is linked, then make sure to manually apply your rewards to pay for those services to get the maximum reward.

HTH  

savemoresaveoften said
Everything you charge to the card earns u 2% rebate, regardless of who the vendor is. This will be rebate balance. When you go to the rewards transaction tab, you should see each charge will show 2 separate 1% rebate lines, 1% for everyone, 1% for those who has Rogers / Shaws service subscription. Thats your total 2%

To make sure you only want to redeem against specific charges like your Rogers / Shaw bills, set your rewards redemption preference set to MANUAL.

To redeem for Rogers/Shaw bill etc, you need to charge your Rogers bill to the card as well.

When you are ready to redeem (min. $10), select the specific Rogers/Shaw bill payment transactions, and the extra 50% bonus will be applied automatically. You can redeem bill payment upto 3 months in the past (meaning even if you already pay that past Rogers bill in full, you can still go back and redeem against it.)

e.g rebate balance = $10, Thats worth $15 against a Rogers/Shaw bill redemption. So if your redeem your balance of $10 against a Rogers/Shaw bill say $30, u are paying $30 and getting back $15 after redemption.

And it works for Fido bills too.

This card is the best no fee card right now, earning 3% on everything as long as you have a Rogers subscription.  

Thanks everyone. Looks like this thread has got some unsuspected traction.

Rogers certainly hasn't made things straightforward, especially in regards to their sign-up promotion. Does Rogers mean that the cap for the 10% cashback is $100?

Can you choose to defer cashback rewards at a later date to pay off your Rogers/Fido/Shaw bill, say, you have a credit balance on your Rogers bill?

And finally, do the rewards expire?

March 21, 2024
9:32 pm
Hmm
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 122
Member Since:
May 21, 2016
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

anitavirginia said
i don't see where i can link , I am signed in online through computer.
Do I need to use the app instead? ( which I have not installed on my phone, yet).

I would rather do it on the computer if possible.  

The Rogers bank had me use my phone app despite being logged into my desktop.

March 21, 2024
9:36 pm
Hmm
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 122
Member Since:
May 21, 2016
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

MDJ said
So are you folks saying:
This credit card with “one only” Fido, Shaw, or Rogers Home or Mobile product gives 2% cash back on all purchases and 3% on the Fido, Shaw, or Rogers home or Mobile products?

Then:
IMG_0276.jpeg

With this $50 mobile plan you would get another $15 off of your home plan too?

And there would be no more savings by taking the minimum requirements (other than the 3% cash back)? <= I mean with minimum purchases a I get maximum cash back and would have room left to buy other competitive priced home services or additional (for spouse) mobile service? Likely only for a mobile service.

And get all the free Shaw Rogers hotspots with auto login?

They just offered me at the door T.V. and internet for $85. Trying to steal away Telus customers. And I had just renegotiated my Telus services. But would have moved. They also offered to pay the first $500 of $865 of early termination charges of my Telus agreement.  

As I understand, you get 3% but not automatically. So if you have a $50 plan, you earn $1.00 toward your redemption rewards. Once your rewards reach $10, your $10 becomes $15 when you redeem toward your Rogers/Fido/Shaw account. It's quite complicated and takes a great deal of care and attention.

The bottom line is to charge everything onto your Rogers card.

March 21, 2024
9:44 pm
MDJ
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 52
Member Since:
March 14, 2024
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hmm said
Once your rewards reach $10, your $10 becomes $15 when you redeem toward your Rogers/Fido/Shaw account.

I don’t get the underlined part. I have had the card only for years. I have to claim against “authorized” amount. Then it turns into a bill credit. Currently I use the bill credits to subsidize gasoline purchases that I buy on my 2% cash back Amex card.

March 21, 2024
9:47 pm
Hmm
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 122
Member Since:
May 21, 2016
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

MDJ said

Hmm said
Once your rewards reach $10, your $10 becomes $15 when you redeem toward your Rogers/Fido/Shaw account.

I don’t get the underlined part. I have had the card only for years. I have to claim against “authorized” amount. Then it turns into a bill credit. Currently I use the bill credits to subsidize gasoline purchases.  

Understandable. All this is enough to make your head spin.

The "extra" 1% only applies to Rogers/Fido/Shaw invoices.

March 21, 2024
9:52 pm
MDJ
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 52
Member Since:
March 14, 2024
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Yes, but what I like is that the 1.5% becomes 2% on all else.
I can see some potential savings by being selective and not dive in 100%.

March 21, 2024
9:58 pm
Hmm
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 122
Member Since:
May 21, 2016
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

MDJ said
Yes, but what I like is that the 1.5% becomes 2% on all else.
I can see some potential savings by being selective and not dive in 100%.  

My Tangerine does that for a select few categories. My Simplii Visa gives me 4% of fast food/restaurants but many merchants like Church's Chicken interntionally miscategorize their business so you don't earn the points.

But you're right. Just use one card now since 2% is the best without any annual fee. I suspect this will disappear too since Brim devalued their cashback—monkey see, monkey do approach.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.