Snowbird Concerns Winter 2020-21 | Page 4 | Your stories | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Snowbird Concerns Winter 2020-21
July 6, 2020
6:58 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3922
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

My wife watches figure skating, events in Asia have had largely masked audiences since long ago, for various reasons, pretty well-established it's a good practice. Dr. Tam said no masks originally because Trudeau had none for us, she was protecting her employer, maybe cost lives? Now we've got masks, she's reversed her position.

China originally stopped flights from Wuhan area to rest of China but not to rest of world, I've heard - ? That would have been a clear signal to stop flights from China, not sure why we didn't. Also kind of suspicious activity by China, if true, imo.

Loonie's doctor is articulating nothing new, it's always been about "flattening the curve", i.e. not reducing deaths, just spreading them out longer so everything looks under control.

I don't know about conspiracies but it's true Trump was the one western leader who's been calling out the Chinese since day one of his presidency, very fortuitous timing a China-origin virus comes along exactly at the time to make sure their enemy's defeated, hopefully the virus disappears after Biden wins. And we can get back to normal, can't wait to play hockey again!

July 6, 2020
2:46 pm
dommm
Members
Forum Posts: 157
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

Good news from Medipac for out of province Emergency Medical Insurance.

" The main question on most travellers' minds is whether they will be covered for COVID-19 emergency medical expenses when they purchase travel insurance for the upcoming travel season - with Medipac the answer is YES.*

During the emergence of the COVID-19 pandemic, other insurance carriers actually imposed ultimatums, forcing clients to return to Canada by a certain date, in fear of terminating their coverage! Many providers have since halted the sale of travel insurance altogether.

At Medipac, it's business as usual."

July 7, 2020
9:18 am
Nehpets
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 982

dommm said
Good news from Medipac for out of province Emergency Medical Insurance.  

Thanks for the update on the core of the discussion, dommm!

Medipac is a major insurer of snowbirds, and has the reputation of favoring clients with no or limited claims experience. Renewals for people who have had substantial claims are rated so highly that many are driven to those marginal insurers, like those that limited COVID coverage last March when the crisis unfolded.

It's encouraging news to learn Medipac doesn't plan to limit COVID coverage, but I would be interested to know if their rates for 2020 - 2021 will be increased to reflect the higher risk. I would also inquire about how they plan to deal with an insured COVID patient....would they cover extended treatment in the U.S. or would they repatriate the individual.

Your update is helpful and timely for snowbirds to know, while weighing options, even if the snowbird destination might be other than into the U.S.

Stephen

July 7, 2020
7:19 pm
dommm
Members
Forum Posts: 157
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

Nehpets said

Thanks for the update on the core of the discussion, dommm!

Medipac is a major insurer of snowbirds, and has the reputation of favoring clients with no or limited claims experience. Renewals for people who have had substantial claims are rated so highly that many are driven to those marginal insurers, like those that limited COVID coverage last March when the crisis unfolded.

It's encouraging news to learn Medipac doesn't plan to limit COVID coverage, but I would be interested to know if their rates for 2020 - 2021 will be increased to reflect the higher risk. I would also inquire about how they plan to deal with an insured COVID patient....would they cover extended treatment in the U.S. or would they repatriate the individual.

Your update is helpful and timely for snowbirds to know, while weighing options, even if the snowbird destination might be other than into the U.S.

Stephen   

Needless to say I was very happy to receive the email from Medipac concerning C19 coverage & was happy to pass on the info to this site which I enjoy & learn from. I guess it would be called paying back in some small way. Your welcome Shephen.

PS: Great questions you asked & if & when I get answers I will pass them along.

July 7, 2020
7:44 pm
Briguy
Members
Forum Posts: 716

I know in Ontario we have been treating patients with COVID without OHIP in the hospitals so that they would be more likely to seek treatment and less likely to spread COVID in the community. So Americans coming to Ontario don't need COVID coverage.

Trump has said that Americans without insurance would be covered for COVID treatment in the hospitals.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/upshot/trump-hospitals-coronavirus.html
I'm not sure if that would cover non Americans, probably not, so probably a good idea to get the Medpac or other insurance with COVID coverage if you travel to USA at this time .

Credit card companies stopped covering COVID as part of emergency medical coverage after March13 since on Friday, March 13, 2020, Global Affairs Canada issued a travel advisory stating that Canadians should “Avoid all non-essential travel” applicable to all countries outside of Canada in order to limit the spread of COVID-19. Once this travel advisory is lifted I imagine that most travel insurances will start covering COVID again.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories

July 8, 2020
1:28 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9245

Good news on MediPac but also important to check again right before you leave as these things can change. I'd also look at the maximum coverage you are buying as there have been reports of people being in ICU for several months.
This might be a good year to buy your insurance early in case it gets more expensive later.

July 8, 2020
5:17 am
Loonie
Members

I just heard a woman interviewed on CBC's Metro Morning (Toronto edition), discussing her impending road trip from Florida to Huntsville (ON) with her parents. She has been down there with them on what was initially a one week trip for her, while they are snowbirds. They got "stuck" there when Covid hit and postponed their return and have been living like hermits - apparently it can be done as she said she hadn't been in a grocery store all that time.

They sounded like they had thought of every possible eventuality for this trip, including ways not to have to stop in New Yok state and have enough gas to get through to Huntsville because they had to self-isolate once they cross our border. The mother has COPD and is over 70 so is particularly vulnerable. They are taking all their food with them. I am not sure if they are stopping overnight or driving continuously.

On her list was something I hadn't considered: they have plotted out where they can use washrooms (but didn't give away their secrets!) Something to think about!
But then there is that saying about the "best laid plans of mice and men go awry", pace Robbie Burns.

I hope they make the trip safely.

July 8, 2020
6:32 am
Briguy
Members

@Loonie it's a crazy world out there now. I took a subway downtown yesterday and there were lots of people on the subway with masks pulled down and drinking sodas, or not wearing masks at all. There were no TTC employees or police telling them to wear a mask. I saw summer students approaching people not wearing masks at Yonge and Bloor subway station giving them free masks, so at least they're trying though.

July 8, 2020
4:48 pm
Loonie
Members

I rarely use the subway, but I did hear on the news that there was a protest of anti-maskers riding en masse yesterday. The city doesn't have the money for enforcement, although perhaps they could deploy transit police to some extent.

These kinds of disruptions appear to be an even bigger problem in parts of the US. It doesn't matter in the end if you use public transit or not as every instance of non-compliance is a potential hazard to all.

Behaviours like these are a bit of a wild card for the traveller who hopes to avoid them.

July 11, 2020
5:00 am
Briguy
Members
July 11, 2020
6:37 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3922

Thanks, Briguy, I always enjoy Black's eloquence. Though here, with some definitely non-CBC approved opinions, he veers into the WE situation, which seems to be his real ultimate focus. My view of the virus comes strictly from the stats, which Black does start out with. Thanks again, thoroughly enjoyed the Saturday morning read.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.