PCCU Financial enters liquidity April 30, 2009 | Your stories | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
PCCU Financial enters liquidity April 30, 2009
May 27, 2009
10:34 am
phrank
Members
Forum Posts: 312
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

In case you have money with the Portuguese Canadian Credit Union, you should know they entered liquidity the end of last month.

I have heard Italian Canadian Savings and Credit Union is buying them, but if you have any money with the PCCU right now, make sure you check your mail for you check or instructions from DICO on how to get your money back.

You can see PCCU is listed on their site here:
http://www.dico.com/Design/1_3_Eng.html

This is a good reminder for people to be diligent about having no more than $100,000 in their accounts covered by DICO. I still don't understand why such a low limit here, but unlimited in Manitoba Credit unions.

May 31, 2009
10:52 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4230

Something to consider. Ontario is a much, much larger province population wise and has many more deposits than all of Manitoba credit unions. So, it is relatively easy for the Manitoba government to say, "Okay, we'll guarantee all deposits, 100%." If Ontario did that, people would question it and say it's not worth the paper it is printed on. It's the same with CDIC and why we don't have unlimited deposit insurance for Canadian banks. If all the Canadian banks failed and the government had to guarantee all deposits, not only would we bankrupt the deposit insurance fund banks pay into, we'd bankrupt the country.

It's similar to B.C. recently guaranteeing all deposits. They can do that because, for the most part, our provincial credit unions are strong relative to their North American counterparts and unlikely to fail but if they were all to fail, the B.C. government would bankrupt itself and inevitably have to go begging the federal government for a bailout. That said, there have been a couple credit union failures in the past year or two - Arrow Credit Union north of Vernon was forced into a merger with VantageOne Credit Union because of a liquidity crisis and, most recently, in what was touted as a merger, Quadra Credit Union had a liquidity crisis of its own and was forced into a merger with the larger Community Savings Credit Union. In fact, a lot of these mergers sound like mergers of two strong credit unions becoming bigger but in actual fact, it's generally one strong credit union being asked by Central to pick up a struggling one, if you read the fine print of their annual reports - the same thing with VanCity picking up VanTel/Safeway, which was struggling.

Cheers,
Doug

December 26, 2010
10:18 am
RetirEd
Guests

ER - Voodoo22 - I think you mean they entered LIQUIDATION, not Liquidity, no? Liquidity is ready cash. Liquidation is turning all asset value into ready cash, which is what you do with failed investments to salvage what's left.
RetirEd

January 1, 2012
4:24 am
NorthernRaven
Moderators
Forum Posts: 606

Interestingly, I came across Portuguese Canadian Credit Union when looking at credit union failures and deposit guarantees. There seems to have been a lot of smelly stuff involved, including possible malfeasance by a couple of their officers, and what looks like two separate incidences of money advanced to armoured car/ATM companies going missing - one included a VP of a borrower "laundering" funds and then disappearing. This all seems quite colorful and I'm amazed that I can find absolutely no news stories about it, just references in various court filings.

January 2, 2012
12:12 am
msl
Guests

NorthernRaven said:

Interestingly, I came across Portuguese Canadian Credit Union when looking at credit union failures and deposit guarantees. There seems to have been a lot of smelly stuff involved, including possible malfeasance by a couple of their officers, and what looks like two separate incidences of money advanced to armoured car/ATM companies going missing - one included a VP of a borrower "laundering" funds and then disappearing. This all seems quite colorful and I'm amazed that I can find absolutely no news stories about it, just references in various court filings.

NorthRave, still.. you did nice research about it.

January 4, 2012
3:08 pm
NorthernRaven
Moderators
Forum Posts: 606

msl said:

NorthRave, still.. you did nice research about it.

Just spent an hour on a slow night a few months back doing some Googling. DICO set aside almost $70 million in loss provisions from 2007-2009, and the fund dropped by $25 million. PCCU would have been a chunk of that. There was also an ATM/POS "switch" company called CU-Connect which blew up a few years back (with phrases like "total disarray of the…books and records and the disappearance of some $6,750,000"). There seems to have been two or three CUs on the hook with CU-Connect, and since one (North York) got amalgamated into another, DICO may have had to sprinkle some cash into that. I don't know what other significant things might have happened, or if most of the rest is just little piddlers getting taken down in the financial crunch.

Again, I know Toronto is a big city and probably full of financial sleaze, but its amazing that these sorts of things with juicy hooks can get buried with seemingly no media or other coverage that I can turn up now!

Please write your comments in the forum.