AirMiles and Shell, August 2019 | Your stories | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
AirMiles and Shell, August 2019
August 10, 2019
6:31 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9244
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

When I was googling just now, this ad popped up on the side of the screen, so I clicked on it.
https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/Splash?splashId=24600346&typ=ofr1&changeLocale=en_CA&dclid=CLuq3O6x-OMCFUeCAQodOcYLzw

It seems an odd ad because it says it's for selected customers etc., but there are no criteria for that and it was not specific to me.
Good deal though. 50 litres = 50 AirMiles = $5 - if you can get it.
There is no PLU and no coupon is required. It says it can be combined with other offers.
I got another offer by email recently for the same time period which requires buying 100 Litres this month, with 100 Air Miles in return. If I buy 100 Litres, can I get 150 Air Miles?
I'm not sure what to make of it, but I'd save or print it out if I tried to use it.

August 19, 2019
7:35 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6766

I don't see any indication of the offer on my Shell receipt.

In the past, I've seen notices on my Shell receipts about exclusive AIR MILES offers, like

Get More: 2.0 fill-ups completed - get 100 Bonus Miles on your 4th fill-up!

August 19, 2019
10:25 pm
Loonie
Members

Right.
The ad in question appeared as a banner again yesterday.
I don't know what to think.

August 19, 2019
11:40 pm
Rick
Members
Forum Posts: 1110

I bought an EV. Any deals on car washes?

August 20, 2019
3:43 am
Loonie
Members

No deals on car washes right now. They do have them periodically though - usually 100 AirMiles if you buy maybe 3 car wash tickets. However, I don't know if available outside of Ontario.

August 20, 2019
6:34 pm
Norman1
Members

Loonie said
Right.
The ad in question appeared as a banner again yesterday.
I don't know what to think.

Could be an error in the way the banner ad is being served and an exclusive ad is being served by mistake.

Could be AIR MILES left a cookie in your web browser the last time you logged onto the AIR MILES site. The cookie indicates that the last person logged in through that browser qualifies for the exclusive offer. When asked for a banner ad, AIR MILES retrieves the cookie and serves that ad.

August 20, 2019
7:10 pm
Loonie
Members

You may be right about the cookies, but, if push came to shove, how would I (or anyone else) prove that the ad was meant for me?

It seems a sloppy way of doing things. I don't know which of the 3 accounts that are regularly accessed through this computer was the last one, and doubt there is any easy way of finding out. It seems foolish for them to assume that a banner ad will be perceived as targeted. They send us lots of emails, and there has been no mention of this offer there.

August 22, 2019
5:29 pm
Norman1
Members

Yes, it is a sloppy way of doing things. But, I've seen ads done like that, but not for an offer exclusive to me.

I remember going to Hudson's Bay web site and browsed some cookware. Later, I visited a weather site and was shown Hudson's Bay banner ads that featured some of the cookware I browsed!

I don't know what AIR MILES would do if someone did the two 25L+ fill-ups at Shell this month and called in, after four weeks, asking about the 50 bonus miles still owed.

August 22, 2019
6:10 pm
Londonguy
Members
Forum Posts: 535

Norman1 said

I don't know what AIR MILES would do if someone did the two 25L+ fill-ups at Shell this month and called in, after four weeks, asking about the 50 bonus miles still owed.  

FWIW it's printing out on my receipts in Ontario, so at least I'll have evidence

Please write your comments in the forum.