Targeted offer - 5% on new money until August 31, 2023 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Targeted offer - 5% on new money until August 31, 2023
April 13, 2023
8:28 pm
bpwest
Members
Forum Posts: 83
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

My 4.75% offer expired end of March, I emptied out my $'s, and did not call them...

Got a 5% offer today (sort of unexpected?) in Insights, good until Aug 31...so I'll likely head on back to Tang. I believe my offer was 'all money', not new money only.

I have read elsewhere that there were other offers, ranging from 4.5-5.25%

April 14, 2023
4:22 am
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1474

bpwest said
My 4.75% offer expired end of March, I emptied out my $'s, and did not call them...

Got a 5% offer today (sort of unexpected?) in Insights, good until Aug 31...so I'll likely head on back to Tang. I believe my offer was 'all money', not new money only.

Our accounts with me as primary are at 5.0% thru Apr 30. The accounts with my wife as primary are at 5.25% thru Jul 31.

CGO
April 14, 2023
5:24 am
fabafter50
Members
Forum Posts: 177

I had hauled all my dough out at the end of the March 31st offer. Decided to check this morning after seeing bpwest got an offer of 5%.
YAY, I got the 5% offer as well!
A pleasant surprise sf-cool

April 14, 2023
6:20 am
mordko
Members
Forum Posts: 824

bpwest said

Wife got 5.25%, which is very convenient as her Simplii offer ends at the end of April. Thanks for the “heads up”.

April 14, 2023
11:20 am
mebe
Members
Forum Posts: 25

Yes, I also got the 5% offer showing up in Insights, with only email being the confirmation one after activating the Insight offer link.

I'm relieved that I didn't have to wait a month between my Tang 4.75% ending offer Mar 31, and this new 5%offer, but I'm not happy. That's simply because I seem to always be on the cycle of getting an Insight offer, 1 month before the next months slightly better offer (the previous 5.25% offer).

Why can't Tang simply satisfy my greed, instead of consistently triggering my petty and spoiled sides of my personality?

However, I know that if I kept getting the best Tang offers, it would most likely trigger my sympathy/empathy side of my personality. I'm doomed for failure, regardless of the outcome.

One bank slogan tells me that I'm richer than I think I am, but Tangerine has taught me that I'm even crazier than I think I am.

I can only imagine the emotional turmoil I would go through if Tangerine went into the sperm-bank business. Deposits and early withdrawals are already hard enough to navigate.

April 14, 2023
12:42 pm
cgouimet
Members

For mebe ...

Some timeline and expectation clarity ...

Point 1 ...

I had a 5.0% TNG offer 2022/12/01-2023/04/30. I signed up and collected that 5.0% on my TNG HISA and our Joint TNG HISA where I'm the primary account holder.

Then my wife had the 5.25% offer 2023/03/01-2023/07/31. She signed up and we moved our TNG funds from "my" HISA's to "her" HISA's.

Point 2 ...

I never have gotten, nor have I ever heard of anyone getting, a TNG Promotional HISA rate while signed up on another one. So, once you accept an offer, you will not personally receive another until your current one expires.

And finally ...

We have two TNG Joint HISA's one with me as Primary Account Holder and one with my wife as Primary. So, when she gets an offer it applies to her two HISA's and when I get an offer it applies to my two HISA's. And sometimes, they actually overlap.

This two sets of accounts may be an option for you to perhaps (no guarantee) get more and maybe even overlapping offers.

CGO
April 14, 2023
1:21 pm
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2875

cgouimet said
I never have gotten, nor have I ever heard of anyone getting, a TNG Promotional HISA rate while signed up on another one. So, once you accept an offer, you will not personally receive another until your current one expires.

they do send out rate promotion extension from time to time, which is another form of their promotion. That is the only time when one still has a live promotion and receive a "new" one to extend.

April 14, 2023
1:26 pm
cgouimet
Members

savemoresaveoften said

cgouimet said

they do send out rate promotion extension from time to time, which is another form of their promotion. That is the only time when one still has a live promotion and receive a "new" one to extend.  

That I never heard of before and never got but now perhaps something to hope for as we appear on the rates down slope ...

CGO
April 14, 2023
1:30 pm
cgouimet
Members

ExtraSauce said
I've had two 3 month promos in a row but nothing yet. Have any other 4.75% March enders here received new promos, or shall I transfer out of Tang for now?

Thanks in advance.  

Moving funds out shortly before the ending of a promo you're on is generally recommended here in case a new offer is made to you but only on new money... Just goes to show that sometimes new money is gooder money ... 🙂

CGO
April 14, 2023
1:59 pm
ItGoDown
Members
Forum Posts: 3

Well now I’m upset with my 4.25%. I’ll phone Tangerine and see if they bump me to 5.00%.

April 14, 2023
3:20 pm
mebe
Members
Forum Posts: 25

Calling to get a better offer can work, but it's hard to know what lowball offer to accept, and then how will your call affect or delay your next offer.

4.25% is a long way from 5.25%, but if you ask for 5.25% (instead of only 5%), and if you somehow get it on your first call attempt, I'm not going to call in to try for 5.25%, but I will be happy that you got it, and will also feel more like the loser I already am.

However, if Tang gives anybody at least 7%, I will boycott tangerines, and switch to another fruit. Apples or oranges wouldn't be my first fruit-replacement choice, but if that's what I have to eat to bring at least 5.25% to all the readers of this thread, I will make that sacrifice!

Warning: Fruity Pebbles cereal is too similar in taste to Fruit Loops, but that doesn't mean it's acceptable for Tangerine to expect us to keep jumping through fruit hoops for better rates.

April 14, 2023
3:36 pm
Saver-Mom
Members
Forum Posts: 311

Ok mebe, u r the funniest person on this site

Anyone wonder why they are offering such good rates?

April 14, 2023
5:06 pm
mordko
Members
Forum Posts: 824

I am guessing that the SVB fiasco resulted in money movement from smaller banks to larger ones. And juicier profits at large banks paying zilch.
So, the smaller ones (including subsidiaries) need to pay a bit more to attract $s.

April 14, 2023
5:12 pm
rhvic
Victoria, BC
Members
Forum Posts: 467

Today I got a 4.50% offer on non-registered accounts until August 31 at Tang, my first offer in four months since the last one expired. I have taken it, though it is not the best - no registered accounts, no US$. This will be where my money goes from Simplii, at least temporarily, when that one ends at the end of April.

These games grow wearisome.

April 14, 2023
5:21 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9244

In their early days, Oaken used to make a joke about how they weren't a "fruit' bank, and used this in their sadvertizing.

Local rhubarb will be in soon...

In my view, Tang does this because it gets them a lot of free advertising buzz and relatively few people look to see if they got an offer. And most people don't keep huge amounts in savings accounts. So it doesn't really cost them much at all..

I've opted out of Tang for now but spouse got 5.25% offer after a few years of nada. It will tide us over for the summer as we've been getting 4.75 elsewhere but ending soon.

April 14, 2023
6:12 pm
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2875

Saver-Mom said
Anyone wonder why they are offering such good rates?  

They have to compete with ISA, cash etfs past few months.

It's a good rate but not excessive.

April 14, 2023
10:03 pm
Peter
Admin
Forum Posts: 1405

My wife found the 5.25% offer in her account:

You’re earning 5.25%* interest on new deposits to your Tangerine Savings Account(s), Tax-Free Savings Account(s), RSP Savings Account(s) and US$ Savings Account(s) until August 31, 2023.

April 15, 2023
12:07 am
cgouimet
Members

Peter said
My wife found the 5.25% offer in her account:

You’re earning 5.25%* interest on new deposits to your Tangerine Savings Account(s), Tax-Free Savings Account(s), RSP Savings Account(s) and US$ Savings Account(s) until August 31, 2023.

Nice ...

CGO
April 16, 2023
1:24 am
RetirEd
Members
Forum Posts: 1013

My guess is that the "extensions" only happen when rates are going UP, as they'd forestall and move new newer, higher rates. That's the only time I've ever heard of that sort of move.

As rates fall, they want to kick you down a few points to the new lower rates.
RetirEd

RetirEd

April 16, 2023
1:00 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9244

Does anyone know if Tangerine currently has daily/weekly/monthly deposit limits for electronic transfers-in or cheques? Thx.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.