Targeted offer - 5.70% on non-registered accounts from Aug 10 till Nov 30, 2023 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Targeted offer - 5.70% on non-registered accounts from Aug 10 till Nov 30, 2023
August 11, 2023
12:57 pm
ProgTech
Members
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

The Offer is only available to Eligible Clients on combined daily closing balances in their eligible Tangerine Savings Account(s), as defined below (“Applicable Accounts”) to a maximum daily closing balance of $1,000,000 in all Applicable Accounts combined (“Eligible Balances”) from August 10, 2023 to November 30, 2023 (the “Promotion Period”).
For the purposes of this Offer, “Applicable Accounts” only include Tangerine Savings Accounts and don’t include any other Tangerine Accounts such as (but not limited to) Tax-Free Savings Accounts (“TFSA Savings”), RSP Savings Accounts (“RSP Savings”), RIF Savings Accounts, US$ Savings Accounts, Business Savings Accounts, US$ Business Savings Accounts, or Children’s Savings Accounts.

I got this when their last promo rate expired and I transferred my savings account balance to another institution. Not sure if that is a trigger, but 5.7% is was above the top of the HISA chart (currently Motive at 4.1%).

August 12, 2023
4:38 am
The Rock
Members
Forum Posts: 100

ProgTech said

I got this when their last promo rate expired and I transferred my savings account balance to another institution. Not sure if that is a trigger, but 5.7% is was above the top of the HISA chart (currently Motive at 4.1%).  

That doesn't guarantee you'll receive a new offer. I did that over a month ago and have not received any offers.

August 12, 2023
5:57 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2885

Whether you transfer your balance or not is NOT a trigger for new offer.
After playing this game for years, only 2 triggers seem to be it:

1) Dont call them for promo, cuz what they offer will be $hit. Even if they offer you any half decent offer, DONT accept it
2) If you dont get it this round, you WILL receive it next round.

Either way keep your balance at a minimum when there is NO promo on your account.

August 12, 2023
6:58 am
The Rock
Members
Forum Posts: 100

savemoresaveoften said

2) If you dont get it this round, you WILL receive it next round.

I didn't receive the July or August promo. Some clients have not received another offer for over a year.

August 12, 2023
9:59 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6780

One does need to indicate one is interested in participating by calling in at least once and transfering funds out when there is no offer.

However, Tangerine uses some randomness in assigning the offers. I presume that's because the marketing budget is not large enough to give every interested client an offer.

So, interested clients are not guaranteed to receive an offer.

August 12, 2023
11:30 am
moveyourmoney
Members
Forum Posts: 45

I don’t understand Tang’s thinking…obviously, they offer these promos to attract investment. However, they often let existing clients walk away where all they would have to do is take care of them with competitive rates that are much less than this 5.7% offer. Do they think that people will stick around for the niblet base rates once the offer expires. (Especially for liquid hisa) I think they are paying more than they have to in attracting clients that will surely leave as soon as base rates are in effect anyway. My wife did not get an offer extension so she “moved her money”. She would have stayed for less than the 5.7. Doesn’t make sense to me.

August 12, 2023
12:12 pm
ProgTech
Members
Forum Posts: 2

moveyourmoney said
I don’t understand Tang’s thinking…obviously, they offer these promos to attract investment. However, they often let existing clients walk away where all they would have to do is take care of them with competitive rates that are much less than this 5.7% offer. Do they think that people will stick around for the niblet base rates once the offer expires. (Especially for liquid hisa) I think they are paying more than they have to in attracting clients that will surely leave as soon as base rates are in effect anyway. My wife did not get an offer extension so she “moved her money”. She would have stayed for less than the 5.7. Doesn’t make sense to me.  

I am assuming their people have done the math, and a lot of people won't be bothered to move their money after the promo rate expires. Most people on these forums would be the exceptions.

August 12, 2023
12:23 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3930

New customers are good, you might be able to sell them credit card, line of credit, etc, other business. Existing customers whose only activity with me is leaving their money there only when there's a promo would be at the bottom of my future promo offer list (in my bank, when I get one!) unless I really needed their deposits for some reason.

My wife got offered a 270 day RSP GIC rate of 5-plus something percent when her July 31 promo HISA offer expired, that's it. As her profile has indicated "retired" for years I'm not sure how artificially intelligent their offer process is.

August 12, 2023
4:09 pm
Norman1
Members

moveyourmoney said
I don’t understand Tang’s thinking…obviously, they offer these promos to attract investment. However, they often let existing clients walk away where all they would have to do is take care of them with competitive rates that are much less than this 5.7% offer. Do they think that people will stick around for the niblet base rates once the offer expires. …

Tangerine Bank isn't really interested in attracting large amounts of savings account deposits that cost them 5% per annum or more. Savings account deposits that can be withdrawn any time are not that useful. A bank can't lend such deposits out, for example, as five-year commercial mortgages. Doing so would set the bank up for a liquidity failure.

If the client wishes to continue to be paid 5%+ for their savings deposits after the offer ends, then it is not an issue for the client to transfer the funds elsewhere.

These non-public promotions are marketing exercises to generate exposure and attention. Their goal is not to raise savings account deposits that cost significantly more than the 1% per annum regular rate for such deposits.

August 12, 2023
4:56 pm
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109

Are we overthinking this? Maybe there is no logical rationale for their targeted promos.

August 12, 2023
5:03 pm
mordko
Members
Forum Posts: 836

Tangerine seems to do an awful lot of these promotions. Both myself and my wife separately received these offers which have been extended. They are bringing in a LOT of cash. I have no idea how much money they pay out in interest in total beyond wild assumptions but the cost must be astronomical if its a “secret” marketing exercise and the money isn’t working. Something does not compute.

Besides, the cost of funds is known to be much higher for smaller banks than it is for the big 5 which profit from inertia, so 1% isn’t going to bring anything at all to Tangerine. Even the big 5 pay well over 4% for cash which can be withdrawn at moment’s notice. I am guessing their stress test models assume that HISA money isn’t going to flee all at once so they can be put to use.

August 12, 2023
9:08 pm
Norman1
Members

The cost is miniscule.

The unnecessary savings account deposits can be parked in the Bank of Nova Scotia's settlement account at the Bank of Canada that pays 5%. The deposits can also be parked in short-term 15-day or 30-day Government of Canada treasury bills that pay just under 5%.

So, the spread with the latest 5.7% offer is around -0.7% to -1% per annum. If Tangerine allows as much as $1 billion to be placed under the offer, then the cost charged to marketing would be at most $10 million per annum.

The Big 5 banks do not pay 4%+ for significant amounts of savings account deposits. Royal Bank, for example, only pays 1.7% on its RBC High Interest eSavings savings account. Its brokerage HISA that pays 4.55% and its Prime-linked cashable GIC that pays 4.75% are not bank accounts and don't come with the servicing and access of an RBC bank account.

August 12, 2023
10:33 pm
moveyourmoney
Members
Forum Posts: 45

To think that Tang isn’t really interested in hisa deposits doesn’t make sense with how they are trying to attract new money with higher rate offerings. The big banks want that money too so even they are offering promos. But they rely on bricks and mortar as security over the online FIs. In fact, most big banks are covering both bases to raise capital.
The money in prime linked cashable GICs is often accessible anytime…but just avoid pulling out within the first month. (No interest paid) Essentially, these types of investments aren’t much of a stretch from a hisa. When a big bank is offering over 5% (albeit on higher amounts) with that kind of flexibility to the client, they want the money.
I think of banking in simple terms because that’s about my skill level. Banks look for good opportunities to lend money. When a bunch of those opportunities are available, they need to raise money to cover it. The spread between servicing my deposits and their lending rate returns is their profit. So Tang is willing to tighten the spread because they and BNS have lending opportunities. If they don’t get enough deposits, they have to go to their competition to borrow…and that’s going to cost them more than 5.7%. That’s also why Motive seemed to be out of place when they offered 4.1% as a base rate way ahead of the others. But the reason is, they need the money for good lending opportunities and the alternative of borrowing money from the big guys (or other FIs with capital) is way more expensive than 4.1%. Tang could keep my wife happy at 5.25% for as long as the boc rates are at current level. Their algorithm is blocking sensible moves to secure cash. And if the lending opportunities weren’t there, the promos would disappear.

August 13, 2023
6:46 am
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109

A while back (maybe a year) I heard that the Big Banks had more cash than they could lend out. Has this changed? Is there greater loan demand now?

August 13, 2023
7:08 am
mordko
Members

COIN said
A while back (maybe a year) I heard that the Big Banks had more cash than they could lend out. Has this changed? Is there greater loan demand now?  

I am not an insider but various money supply measures indicate very low growth, untypical of Canada. As fewer new dollars are splashing in the economy, banks still have plans to meet and have to fight harder for attracting rarer CADs.

This is good news for lowering the inflation too, as all businesses have to fight a bit harder for CADs, not just the banks.

August 13, 2023
7:28 am
agit
Members
Forum Posts: 185

COIN said

Don't believe everything you read in "forum" some people post useless info just to look knowledgeable.

If you get an offer "good" take it if you want it... if not just move on to other FI that offer better rate... i can guarantee you no one in here or 99% of the bank employee knows who, when and why..etc...

COIN said Are we overthinking this? Maybe there is no logical rationale for their targeted promos.

YES overthinking

August 13, 2023
8:10 am
Norman1
Members

moveyourmoney said
… If they don’t get enough deposits, they have to go to their competition to borrow…and that’s going to cost them more than 5.7%. …

No, it doesn't. The current overnight lending rate between banks is 5¼% right now. The current rate for 30-day and 90-day bankers' acceptances is around 5.1%.

… Tang could keep my wife happy at 5.25% for as long as the boc rates are at current level. Their algorithm is blocking sensible moves to secure cash. And if the lending opportunities weren’t there, the promos would disappear.

Why would Tangerine Bank pay anyone 5.25% to 5.70% for savings account deposits when they can issue 30-day and 90-day bankers' acceptances to investors that only cost them 5.1% per annum? Furthermore, the acceptances are locked in until maturity, don't have CDIC deposit insurance premimus, and don't have any account servicing costs.

As I said previously, the offers are marketing promotions and not exercises to raise money to lend out. Banks don't raise deposits for lending through savings accounts because most loans are not repayable on demand to match the lack of commitment of savings account deposits.

August 13, 2023
8:40 am
Norman1
Members

COIN said

The Big Banks were awash in savings deposits from people not being able to spend their income because of the various restrictions to deal with COVID.

Banks weren't going to lend those savings deposits out, knowing that people will withdraw and spend those savings as soon as they could on travel and other things they normally would have before COVID.

Not sure if the loan demand is greater now than earlier in the middle of the pandemic. The demand is better now in the sense that more of the borrowers look like they will survive and be able to repay loans as agreed.

August 13, 2023
11:36 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2885

moveyourmoney said
To think that Tang isn’t really interested in hisa deposits doesn’t make sense with how they are trying to attract new money with higher rate offerings. The big banks want that money too so even they are offering promos. But they rely on bricks and mortar as security over the online FIs. In fact, most big banks are covering both bases to raise capital.
The money in prime linked cashable GICs is often accessible anytime…but just avoid pulling out within the first month. (No interest paid) Essentially, these types of investments aren’t much of a stretch from a hisa. When a big bank is offering over 5% (albeit on higher amounts) with that kind of flexibility to the client, they want the money.
I think of banking in simple terms because that’s about my skill level. Banks look for good opportunities to lend money. When a bunch of those opportunities are available, they need to raise money to cover it. The spread between servicing my deposits and their lending rate returns is their profit. So Tang is willing to tighten the spread because they and BNS have lending opportunities. If they don’t get enough deposits, they have to go to their competition to borrow…and that’s going to cost them more than 5.7%. That’s also why Motive seemed to be out of place when they offered 4.1% as a base rate way ahead of the others. But the reason is, they need the money for good lending opportunities and the alternative of borrowing money from the big guys (or other FIs with capital) is way more expensive than 4.1%. Tang could keep my wife happy at 5.25% for as long as the boc rates are at current level. Their algorithm is blocking sensible moves to secure cash. And if the lending opportunities weren’t there, the promos would disappear.  

Tangerine runs their promo rate just like a telecom runs amazing promo rates to attract new customers. Its coming out from their annual marketing budget. Even if they can keep 20% of the deposit after the promotion ends, they will be better off in the long term with another customer under their belt for cross product selling.
It has nothing to do with lending opportunities or whats not. Need to think in terms of big corporation running a $$$$$$ business, not a small business. The forum members here are more rate chasers and are the minority !
The younger generation are totally into cash ETFs and the like, they have no interest to chase HISA esp when there is no rate advantage.

August 13, 2023
11:54 am
mordko
Members

savemoresaveoften said

Tangerine runs their promo rate just like a telecom runs amazing promo rates to attract new customers.

Nope. I’ve been with Tangerine for years and keep getting promo rates.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.