Targeted 2% new money offer, Feb 4, 2022 - June 30 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Targeted 2% new money offer, Feb 4, 2022 - June 30
February 4, 2022
3:23 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6745
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

bpwest said

I received 2% new money offer, Feb 4 - June 30

(if someone else starts a separate thread, I will contribute there)

That definitely deserves its own thread/topic. sf-smile

February 4, 2022
4:07 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3911

Got it - thanks, bpwest!

February 5, 2022
1:15 pm
rhvic
Victoria, BC
Members
Forum Posts: 467

Small wonder then that Tangerine extended the 1.4% rate for a lot of people for whom it would have expired on Jan. 30. If one accepted this 1.4% rate, then you are excluded from getting the new higher 2% rate.

February 5, 2022
1:49 pm
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1107

rhvic said
Small wonder then that Tangerine extended the 1.4% rate for a lot of people for whom it would have expired on Jan. 30. If one accepted this 1.4% rate, then you are excluded from getting the new higher 2% rate.  

I'm still on the 1.6% promo.

February 5, 2022
1:53 pm
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1159

I wonder if that exclusion might have happened to me. I called and got a new offer Feb 3 for 1.3% on all my accounts. After hearing the announcement, I called again on Feb 4 to see if I qualified and was told that I did not. I wonder what might have happened if I had not called at all and waited to see if I was given the offer.

Oh, well. Shoulda, coulda, woulda; I'll just keep my Tang balances at $0

February 5, 2022
2:27 pm
Norman1
Members

If one is already on an offer, then one won't be sent the 2% offer. However, that does not mean that one would be sent the 2% offer if one wasn't on another offer.

The 2% offer is a targeted offer. Without a previous 1.3% or 1.4% offer, one could end up with no offer and staring at the regular 0.1% rate on the Tangerine savings account.

February 5, 2022
2:36 pm
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2847

rhvic said

yes thats a cheap trick, shame on them

February 5, 2022
3:42 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9235

Cheap trick it may be, but they've done it before. Seems to work - for them.

February 5, 2022
4:06 pm
bpwest
Members
Forum Posts: 83

It is only me and Bill getting this latest 2% offer??

My more recent Tang interactions: was targeted Jan. 2021, 1.75% until May 31. That offer was extended by Tangerine, automatically, running until July 15.

Just before that offer expired, I called, and got approx 5 months @ 1.20% This may have caused me to miss higher, targeted offers, but I decided to take the 'bird-in-the-hand'...

When my 1.20 % expired in early Dec., I did not call, or receive a targeted offer, and moved my $'s to greener pastures, until I was once again targeted...

As an aside, Tang. has cleared out my archived history of targeted/special rate offers that had, until the last couple months resided, under 'Profile & settings'/'Bonuses & contests'. I presume this has happened to everyone...I have not queried Tang. on this...

February 5, 2022
4:21 pm
Bill
Members

My history of offers is still there, bpwest, 17 of them since mid-2015.

If you're already on a promo you never get a current offer. And if you call any offer you get will be a low-ball one, and if you accept then that'll exclude you from any other ones that might come out during that time. I've stopped calling, now I just let them lapse, move money elsewhere, and wait for the next one. Usually comes within a year or so.

February 6, 2022
7:51 am
bpwest
Members
Forum Posts: 83

Bill said

If you're already on a promo you never get a current offer. And if you call any offer you get will be a low-ball one, and if you accept then that'll exclude you from any other ones that might come out during that time. I've stopped calling, now I just let them lapse, move money elsewhere, and wait for the next one. Usually comes within a year or so.  

Bill said

Your history of offers is still there, hmm, I had a similar # of offers as well, poof, gone, so thank you for this bit of information.

In fact, this most recent offer has not arrived in my 'Bonuses & contests'; I called about that, and the agent told me terms and conditions could be found by clicking on my My Tangerine, savings acct, and then clicking on acct. details. Yes, the offer details are there, but their emails to both my personal email, and my Tangerine Inbox, told me details would be found in 'Bonuses & contests', so another call is definitely in order.

February 7, 2022
3:27 pm
RetirEd
Members
Forum Posts: 1001

Over the time I was with Tangerine (since ING was eaten by Scotia), I never received a targeted offer. I think they only used E-mail for that and I don't communicate with businesses by E-mail. I'd call in and usually got less than what I read about here. Only once did escalating to a Higher Power get me a better rate. Once they offered me a middling rate bump IF I committed to leaving a minimum of $85K in for a year.

Hrumph.
RetirEd

RetirEd

February 7, 2022
5:14 pm
Kidd
Banned
Forum Posts: 840

Tangerine are offering an 18 month GIC paying 2%. A few years ago, i was able to get a quarter point added to a Tangerine GIC.Screenshot_20220207-200956.png

February 7, 2022
5:54 pm
Norman1
Members

RetirEd said
… I think they only used E-mail for that and I don't communicate with businesses by E-mail. I'd call in and usually got less than what I read about here. …

I don't think I was ever notified by e-mail of a targeted offer. I would see the offer in a banner ad after I signed into their online banking.

It is only after accepting an offer that I received an e-mail confirming my acceptance. Sometimes, they would send an e-mail later reminding me of the special rate I had and to transfer more funds in.

February 9, 2022
4:30 am
bhuc
Toronto
Members
Forum Posts: 138

My wife and I have a joint HISA with Tangerine and I am the primary account holder.
Yesterday she received an email offer of 2% for 5 months for new money and she accepted , thinking that our joint would get the bonus rate offer.
But NO, after talking to a CSR it turns out the offer does not apply to the joint HISA because she is not a primary account holder.
Go Figure !
sf-surprised

February 9, 2022
4:57 am
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1473

bhuc said
My wife and I have a joint HISA with Tangerine and I am the primary account holder.
Yesterday she received an email offer of 2% for 5 months for new money and she accepted , thinking that our joint would get the bonus rate offer.
But NO, after talking to a CSR it turns out the offer does not apply to the joint HISA because she is not a primary account holder.
Go Figure !
sf-surprised  

Does Tangerine allow 2 Joint accounts? Like a new one with her as primary and you as secondary?

CGO
February 9, 2022
5:34 am
bhuc
Toronto
Members
Forum Posts: 138

cgouimet said

Does Tangerine allow 2 Joint accounts? Like a new one with her as primary and you as secondary?  

After speaking to a CSR at Tangerine, the answer is Yes,
And the bonus interest rate will now apply to her new joint account.

February 9, 2022
5:43 am
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1473

bhuc said

After speaking to a CSR at Tangerine, the answer is Yes,
And the bonus interest rate will now apply to her new joint account.  

Good to know. My wife hasn't had any Tangerine offers for years as all of them come to me but if she ever gets one I'll open another joint account ...

Question ... Do they still require telephone support to set joint accounts?

CGO
February 9, 2022
9:36 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9235

Yes, we have had 2 joint accounts with tang, one with each of us as primary. They didn't seem to like it though when I moved the money from one to the other to take advantage of rate that only one of us got. Neither of us have had a good offer since then - a couple of years ago at least. But who knows if that is the reason?

February 9, 2022
10:42 am
Bill
Members

We have same, two joint accounts, and if there's a difference just move money over to other joint account that has the best rate, I don't even know how I'd know if they like it or not. And I can't recall any time in many years where at least one of us hasn't been on a promo rate.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.