Targeted 2.8% on new money, April 3 to August 31, 2020 | Page 2 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Targeted 2.8% on new money, April 3 to August 31, 2020
April 16, 2020
12:01 pm
Deco
Members
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

New to this forum. Looking at Tangerine for short term deposit. Was a previous client about 8 yrs ago (no activity ) not sure if our deposit would be considered “new”
Is that something I negotiate on with a representative . Would like to get on an “offer” list. Tks

April 16, 2020
12:52 pm
Vatox
Members
Forum Posts: 1218

Deco said
New to this forum. Looking at Tangerine for short term deposit. Was a previous client about 8 yrs ago (no activity ) not sure if our deposit would be considered “new”
Is that something I negotiate on with a representative . Would like to get on an “offer” list. Tks  

New money is whatever isn’t there already. The offer always states the date from which the zero point starts.

April 16, 2020
1:31 pm
GR
Members
Forum Posts: 632

Deco said

Deco,
You state that you "were" a client about 8 years ago. If that means that your account was closed and you aren't a client now, you might qualify for Tangerine's other offer of 2.80% for 5 months on your "first" savings account. If your account has been "active" for 8 years and not closed, you should have received at least one offer during that time.

April 17, 2020
2:17 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9245

I think it depends on which kind of offer you are pursuing. I don't think you would qualify for a "new client" offer as Tangerine has a very long memory and they will know you were previously a client. You can normally only be "new" once with them.

If you don't get a "new money" offer, then I would phone them and plead for one since it seems you never used this account before. You may need to go through various levels of supervisors and argue to get what you are asking for. Be prepared to spend an hour or two on the phone at one shot before you phone. I think it's a reasonable request, but they are not always reasonable.

April 17, 2020
6:57 am
BillieBob
Members
Forum Posts: 151

Once again, Tangerine's offer is not the same for everyone. When I logged in this morning, for the first time in a while, my offer is 2.65% until June 30, 2020. Not tantalizing enough for me to bother with.

April 17, 2020
7:22 am
zip11
Members
Forum Posts: 1

Deco said

I'm in the same position. Opened an account 4 years ago but never used it or transferred anything into it. Called and asked if I was eligible for the 2.8%, first agent I talked to said yes but when I logged into my account I didn't see the offer, called back the next day and was told I'm not eligible and that the previous agent made a mistake, called back again and spoke with a different agent and told no again.

Let me know if you get approved, I'd really like to take advantage of this offer.

April 17, 2020
5:47 pm
kage
Members
Forum Posts: 4

For those of you who've been offered the 2.8% rate on the heels of a prior Tangerine promotion that was coming to an end, my question is: at what point did you receive your offer / at what point would you anticipate we might receive an offer, if we have a Tangerine promotion (2.4%) that's ending on April 30th? Does it tend to be a predictable number of days or weeks before the end of the prior promo, or after the prior promo completes?

We've had the bulk our $ at BMO (2.8%), keeping only a small amount at Tangerine. Both promos end on April 30 & we're hoping to receive a 2.8% offer from Tangerine so we can park the larger portion there, rather than play around with opening something at CIBC or returning to Simplii next.

April 18, 2020
4:16 am
Hmm
Members
Forum Posts: 106

Tangerine doesn't like me. They were supposed to have someone from their special unit call me to provide me an offer to stay.

They haven't and this was the same experience I had with them prior to COVID-19. I moved my money elsewhere.

April 18, 2020
9:56 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3922

kage, it may be different for others but our experience is that we never have to wait more than two or three months but we have to wait at least one month from the end of the last offer. We consistently transfer out all our money immediately when a promo ends - used to call before doing so when they would often give us a new (usually lower rate) offer, so that's an option, but I just can't be bothered calling any more, got lots of other accounts to choose from.

April 18, 2020
11:28 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6768

It had been months for me before I received this April new-money offer.

My previous Tangerine offer ended in the fall last year.

Looking at my offer history in their online banking site, Tangerine has made at least one offer to me each year.

April 19, 2020
11:03 pm
Amar
Members
Forum Posts: 3

Also interested in this promotion with Tangerine. Never dealt with Tangerine.
Couple of questions;
1. What are the transfer fees with Tangerine?
2. Can i pull out the fund right after the promotion ends?

Thanks

April 20, 2020
2:23 am
Yatti420
Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 413

I wont be getting this promo as im still enrolled in the 3% 😉 ... I think it runs til May? Then I expect any other offer wont be til year end!..

Happy 420 everybody from the TRBB! The cities' best buds 🙂

April 23, 2020
12:13 pm
dentgal
Members
Forum Posts: 206

They don't like me!!! I was only offered 2.5%:(

Your special 2.50%* rate has been extended until July 31, 2020

There’s no denying that these are challenging times and ensuring your savings can continue to grow is more important than ever. To help with this, we’ve extended your special 2.50%* interest rate until July 31, 2020.

April 23, 2020
1:25 pm
implode
Members
Forum Posts: 167

That sucks dentgal. I hope they don't extend my 2.75% rate when it expires in a few days. I prefer the current 2.8% which is not only higher, but includes USD.

April 23, 2020
2:06 pm
Rick
Members
Forum Posts: 1110

Amar said
Couple of questions;

Thanks  

1: Fair Fees
Canadians are fed up with high banking fees, and ever since we first opened our doors, we’ve shown our Clients
that we feel the same way. Fees should be fair, which means they’re disclosed and agreed to in advance, and the
amount makes sense relative to the benefit received.
Fair Fees Associated with the Tangerine Chequing Account
Interac e-Transfer® FREE
Chequebook Your first book of 50 cheques is free. Subsequent
chequebooks can be ordered online for $50.
Stop Payment 1 FREE per year, $12.50 each thereafter
Replacement Client Card 1 FREE per year, $15 each thereafter
Canadian Drafts (includes courier) $10
NSF (Non-sufficient funds) 1 $45
Returned Items $7.50
Other ABM Withdrawals (not a Tangerine or Scotiabank® ABM)
– In Canada
$1.50
Other ABM Withdrawals (not part of Global ATM Alliance 2 )
– In the US/Worldwide
$3
1 Year Inactivity Fee $10
Optional Overdraft Protection Fee on the Tangerine Chequing Account
Overdraft Fee
$5 per use (charged up to a maximum
of once per month 3 )
Overdraft Interest 19.00% (per annum 4 )
Fair Fees Associated with Non-Registered Savings Accounts
NSF (Non-sufficient funds) 1 $45
Fair Fees Associated with Registered Savings Accounts
RSP Transfer to Another Financial Institution $50
TFSA Transfer to Another Financial Institution $50
RIF Transfer to Another Financial Institution $50
Dormancy Fees
2–9 Year Dormancy Fee 5 – Associated with Non-Registered Personal &
Business Savings Accounts
$20 per year
10 Year Dormancy Fee – Associated with Chequing and Non-
Registered Personal & Business Savings Accounts
$40 for both Personal & Business Savings Accounts
Printed Statement and Tax Receipt/Slip Fees – Associated with Non-Registered
and Registered Personal & Business Savings Accounts
Paper Statement Fee 6 per Statement Issued $2
Paper Statement and Tax Receipt/Slip Reprint Fee per Statement or
Receipt Issued
$5 per reprint

2) You can pull the funds out anytime. If you want to take advantage of the following offer (if there is one), You have to start playing 3 card monty with your funds between eligible and non-eligible accounts, before the deadline or cut-off date.

April 23, 2020
6:42 pm
MG
Members
Forum Posts: 263

potofgold said
I received the 2.8% offer by email as well. It seems like it's being offered to every existing client.  

I just received an email offer of 2.5% via email, effective May 1,2020. My current offer of 2.3% ends April 29th. I guess they are trying to get ahead of my calling in for a new rate.

April 24, 2020
6:13 am
Bill
Members

Nothing for me yet, my 2.5% ends April 30. I did buy a 1 year GIC so I'm at the CDIC limit anyway, we'll see if anything happens.

April 28, 2020
12:01 pm
bird
Members
Forum Posts: 21

No offer for me either - Tang does not like quite a few customers, it seems, not only Dentgal...I registered, but did not send any $$$ as the rep lied about starting bonus date. Then got 2 contradictory replies about opening another account and its bonus. Same thing about closing and reopening to get a bonus: 2 different reps - 2 different answers.

So I never got any offers since account opening in over 2 years in spite of calling requests. It's been $0 balance since. Does it mean I'm facing $40 dormant account fees if I eventually deposit anything? Should I just close it? I'm out of the country now and my June flight to Canada may be cancelled so to reopen it may be hard...

April 29, 2020
6:46 pm
cruzinalong
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 223

Amar said
Couple of questions;

Thanks  

I seem to pull the money out before I get an offer. I have other uses for the money. I have no spare money to take advantage of any bonus. Last year I got a bonus of 19 cents from Tangerine.

April 30, 2020
11:06 am
Bill
Members

My Tangerine 2.5% ended today, I called, they extended it for 90 days.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.