Tangerine Increasing fees as of Jan 1, 2020 | Page 2 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Tangerine Increasing fees as of Jan 1, 2020
October 14, 2019
4:05 pm
Peter
Admin
Forum Posts: 1404
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

If you have a joint chequing account, remember that you and your spouse can each have your own chequing accounts in addition to the joint chequing account, so you should be able to get a total of 3 free first chequebooks. I don't know if you're allowed to individually have 2 separate chequing accounts if one of them isn't a joint account.

October 14, 2019
10:07 pm
Adam1
Members
Forum Posts: 59

Peter said
If you have a joint chequing account, remember that you and your spouse can each have your own chequing accounts in addition to the joint chequing account, so you should be able to get a total of 3 free first chequebooks. I don't know if you're allowed to individually have 2 separate chequing accounts if one of them isn't a joint account.  

I have 2 chequing accounts that are not joint and I was able to order first chequebooks for free with both of them. I opened the second account over a year ago, so I'm not sure if they still allow that.

Adam

October 10, 2020
11:18 pm
RetirEd
Members
Forum Posts: 1003

I had to wait for my GICs to mature before withdrawing from Tangerine in March. I spoke to several people before pushing the button because of the monthly statement fee; I insist on paper records and no on-line access in selecting financial institutions. I was even offered a one-time credit in the amount of the fee multiplied by 12 months, but refused unless they waived it permanently.

No dice, so I pulled out my accounts, GICs and tax-free stuff too - well over $100K since TFSA stuff now has its own CDIC class. I did opt to pay the TFGIC fee increase ($5) by not canceling before the deadline, but I stuck it out for the promo rate until the statement deadline.

I joined ING back in 2001, soon after they opened, and loved their no-haggle rates, no-fee structure and 24-hour telephone banking service - nobody else offers that any more! Their staff were courteous, efficient and helpful.

MOST of that continued after the Tangerine takeover - except the no-haggle rates. Then fees started creeping in. Over the year 2019, the phone service got slower and slower, and their recording ALWAYS said they were "experiencing high call volumes" even when the calls were answered immediately. By late 2019, until it was ALWAYS over an hour to get served. There went their best reason for me to stick around other than high GIC rates, and I wasn't prepared to go on-line or pay feels for my records when they were making huge profits off of me.

So adios, Tangerine. You didn't want us any more anyway.
-RetirEd.

RetirEd

October 11, 2020
3:16 pm
pooreva
Banned
Forum Posts: 440

NewEd said
MOST of that continued after the Tangerine takeover

ING was good, same as ICICI and most likely few other banks. Good rates, good service.
THEN... big banks got into game and screwed up everything.
ING was killed by Scotiabank who 'owes' Tangerine (what a stupid name for FI; how about gooseberry or even better LEMON).
Do not expect anything outstanding from Tang; those who pull strings are in Scotiabank. If you get lucky, you will get random good interest offer. But it is the same as being 80 and 'getting lucky' without blue pill.

October 11, 2020
4:49 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9238
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

pooreva said

ING was killed by Scotiabank who 'owes' Tangerine (what a stupid name for FI; how about gooseberry or even better LEMON).

I think "SourGrapes" would work. Or how about "RottenApples"? - GMO-modified, of course (="GiveMeOffers!"). Another good candidate would be "Durian"; it's the name of an Asian fruit known for its stinky and pervasive aroma.
When they get to full-service banking, they could switch to the all-inclusive "Compost".sf-winksf-laugh

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.