Tangerine 4.75% targeted new deposit offer Nov 1 2022 to Mar 31 2023 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Tangerine 4.75% targeted new deposit offer Nov 1 2022 to Mar 31 2023
November 3, 2022
9:37 am
FastJonny
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 49
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Tangerine 4.75% targeted new deposit offer Nov 1 2022 to Mar 31 2023.
Activate by Nov 30 2022.
Original balance is calculated as of close Oct 31 2022.

"Activate this online-only offer to earn a special 4.75% interest rate* until March 31, 2023 on new deposits to your Tangerine Savings Account(s), including TFSA, RSP, and US$, up to $1,000,000 per Applicable Account Type"

November 3, 2022
4:28 pm
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109

I'm still on the 4.3% promo.

November 3, 2022
4:40 pm
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1164
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

Lucky you. I called and am still at the 3.5% promo. Needless to say, my accounts are empty. sf-smile

November 3, 2022
4:51 pm
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1109

I am on Tangerine 2.20% promo. Which is another way of saying I have $0 in Tangerine accounts now.
That promo lasts till November 30. Will be waiting for better offer in December.

November 14, 2022
11:30 am
jsk
Members
Forum Posts: 2

For those of us who already have a Tangerine account, does this 4.75% apply? I can't locate it on the Tangerine website ...

November 14, 2022
11:48 am
hwyc
GTA
Members
Forum Posts: 1168

Newbie JSK, if we say "targeted", it means the promo is by invitation from the bank.

November 14, 2022
11:55 am
Peter
Admin
Forum Posts: 1405

Once you've logged in, if you have received the targeted promo, you should see it under the Insights tab.

November 14, 2022
1:05 pm
jsk
Members
Forum Posts: 2

Thank you hwyc and Peter, your quick replies are much appreciated!
Good to be a newbie with a bunch of experienced people! šŸ˜‰

November 14, 2022
7:15 pm
Hmm
Members
Forum Posts: 106

No target promo for me. I moved my funds to HSBC as Tangerine would only give me 3.75%.

For whatever reason, I never get any Simplii promotions. I call whenever there's one listed and they say, I'm not eligible.

November 15, 2022
5:23 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2875

Looks like Tang also sends email reminding when the current promo applied to your specific account will end and mention there is no fee to close the account.
Just like Simplii does.
I speculate they do this email "reminder" so that when an account becomes inactive after 1-2 years and they start dinging you for $20 inactivity fee, one cant argue against it anymore.

November 15, 2022
6:35 pm
RetirEd
Members
Forum Posts: 1013

savemoresaveoften: The Bank Act dictates what notifications (and when) depositors must get before inactivity fees may be levied, and when the banks must turn over any remaining deposits to the feds for preservation against claims by forgetful depositors or their heirs. There's a federal website one can search for abandoned deposits.
RetirEd

Sorry, don't know it.

RetirEd

November 15, 2022
9:24 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6766

The federal Financial Consumer Protection Framework now requires those notices of promotions coming to an end.

Bank of Canada's Unclaimed Properties Office is where those inactive bank deposits are sent to after 10 years.

The provinces also have such offices for provincially regulated institutions.

November 16, 2022
2:16 am
davidgeorge
Members
Forum Posts: 294

Incrediable. After I transferred some fund ($25000 daily maximum) from Tangerine to HSBC, Tangerine locked my account. It took me 3 phone calls (long wait time for each phone call) to unlock my account.

November 16, 2022
9:35 am
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1164
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

Yeah, they pull all kinds of these stunts. I, too, was a victim. They say it was because of 'suspicious activity', but then I am the dumb-ass who needs to waste an entire day waiting on hold for access to their security department in order to clear the hold. They create the problem, then do abso-freaking-lutely nothing to solve it.

November 16, 2022
10:09 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9245

Thanks for the info, Norman.

The FIs seem to be getting very edgy these days, i.e. more eager to pull the plug on us. I rec'd a notice from one of my FIs recently saying that I shouldn't expect that my ATM card will work overseas any more. This was not personal or related to usage as I don't even have a card with them. They said it was due to increasing fraud.

November 21, 2022
7:31 pm
Pirithous
Members
Forum Posts: 23

Hmm said
No target promo for me. I moved my funds to HSBC as Tangerine would only give me 3.75%.

For whatever reason, I never get any Simplii promotions. I call whenever there's one listed and they say, I'm not eligible.Ā Ā 

No promo for me as well. As a longtime customer you'd think they'd throw you a bone every so often. No chance I guess.

Pirithous

"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to."

November 23, 2022
4:31 pm
maGIC
Members
Forum Posts: 63

Just received emailā€¦.I am currently on 3% until Nov 30 with very little in my account.
email says that on December 1, I will receive another email. I need to accept the offer in the email that I receive on December 1.
4.75% until March 31.

ā€œ* The 4.75% Interest Rate Offer (the ā€œOfferā€) is only available to existing Tangerine Clients who have received this communication directly from Tangerine and who activate the Offer online by December 31, 2022. The 4.75% promotional interest rate (the ā€œPromotional Interest Rateā€) is valid from December 1, 2022 to March 31, 2023 (the ā€œPromotion Periodā€) and is only available for eligible non-registered Tangerine Savings Account(s) (ā€œApplicable Accountsā€) to a maximum balance of $1,000,000 in all Applicable Accounts combined (ā€œEligible Balancesā€) during the Promotion Period. The Promotional Interest Rate is an annualized rate, calculated daily and paid monthly. This Offer canā€™t be combined with any other promotional rate offers for non-registered Savings Accounts. This Offer, including interest rates, may change, be extended or cancelled without notice.ā€

November 23, 2022
4:57 pm
hwyc
GTA
Members
Forum Posts: 1168

maGIC, yours is a different offer ā€¦ which belongs to a new thread.

The rate is also 4.75% but it does not say new money. Yours is only limited to non-registered accounts.

November 23, 2022
6:04 pm
maGIC
Members
Forum Posts: 63

Email also says
ā€œTo make the most of your special rate, just keep your money right where it is.ā€

Does not say new money, but may imply existing money. Or could suggest that if money is already in account, it will take full advantage of the time period.
Would be nice if they could send a truly clear message.

November 26, 2022
9:04 pm
dickyran333
Members
Forum Posts: 60

I also received the same email from Tangerine --- 4.75% special interest rate from December 1, 2022 to March 31, 2023 on all eligible non-registered Savings balances of up to $1 million.

But I recently opened HSBC HSRA to get their 4.90% promo rate until end of February and so the Tangerine's offer pretty much overlaps the HSBC promo period. But if I don't get anything better after February, I have a cushion of another one month now due to Tangerine's offer.

However, since the email mentions "on all eligible non-registered Savings balances," I thought my USD savings account will be eligible for the promo rate. To confirm this, I called Tangerine but the CSR told me that the promo won't be applicable to my USD savings account. I insisted that she confirms this from her supervisor, which she did, and informed me the same thing. So I'm a bit disappointed that the rate won't be available for USD. FWIW, all my earlier promos were available for both CAD and USD savings accounts. But then they were also available for registered accounts. Maybe this one is different from those and only applies to CAD savings account and on both existing and new funds.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.