New Tangerine Promo on June 2nd, 2.8% until October 31st 2022 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
New Tangerine Promo on June 2nd, 2.8% until October 31st 2022
June 2, 2022
9:08 am
chamnic
Members
Forum Posts: 31
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Just got offered 2.8% on new deposits for Savings Account, RRSP Savings, TFSA Saving and US Savings. My previous offer was 2.2% until end of April.

In my case, it seems I have to transfer my funds out once offer is expired, wait a month or so and I get a new one. This seems to have been the pattern the last few cycles.

I was hoping for a bit better than 2.8% since BOC rate was increased yesterday but I'm not sure it's worth waiting for a better one from Tangerine. I might be locked to this rate until end of october but seems worth it at this point giving savings rates from other bank are around 1.6%

June 2, 2022
9:56 am
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1106

I'm already on the old 2.80% promo. Nothing for me.

Question: Does anyone find those BNS ATM's rather "unresponsive"?

June 2, 2022
11:55 am
MG
Members
Forum Posts: 258

COIN said

Question: Does anyone find those BNS ATM's rather "unresponsive"?  

Totally and utterly unresponsive when I try to deposit a cheque. It will not recognize my fingerprint. I thought it was just me because I always have cold hands but doubtful. After trying several times, and once eventually getting to actually deposit a cheque and then have it rejected, I drove over to CIBC and experienced no problems whatsoever! I have complained to Tangerine but they don't seem to care. sf-frown

June 2, 2022
12:13 pm
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1447

MG said

Totally and utterly unresponsive when I try to deposit a cheque. It will not recognize my fingerprint. I thought it was just me because I always have cold hands but doubtful. After trying several times, and once eventually getting to actually deposit a cheque and then have it rejected, I drove over to CIBC and experienced no problems whatsoever! I have complained to Tangerine but they don't seem to care. sf-frown  

Why not use the TNG mobile app to deposit that cheque? So much simpler ...

CGO
June 2, 2022
12:45 pm
MG
Members
Forum Posts: 258

cgouimet said

Why not use the TNG mobile app to deposit that cheque? So much simpler ...  

I use no apps and do not plan on starting. sf-frown

June 2, 2022
12:52 pm
cgouimet
Members

MG said

I use no apps and do not plan on starting. sf-frown  

Ah. I thought that too but then there was a pandemic and dirty ATM's. And later high fuel costs. App deposits are clean, mask-less, effortless, no-cost and instantaneous.

CGO
June 2, 2022
1:30 pm
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1106

MG said I drove over to CIBC and experienced no problems whatsoever! I have complained to Tangerine but they don't seem to care. sf-frown  

The CIBC ATM's are so much more user friendly.

P.S. When it comes to cellphones, I am still 20th century. Plus, I don't want to pay $40 monthly extra for Internet access as my cell is pay as you go.

June 2, 2022
2:28 pm
Dean
Valhalla Mountains, British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 1894

chamnic said

Just got offered 2.8% on new deposits for Savings Account, RRSP Savings, TFSA Saving and US Savings. My previous offer was 2.2% until end of April.

In my case, it seems I have to transfer my funds out once offer is expired, wait a month or so and I get a new one. This seems to have been the pattern the last few cycles.

I was hoping for a bit better than 2.8% since BOC rate was increased yesterday but I'm not sure it's worth waiting for a better one from Tangerine. I might be locked to this rate until end of october but seems worth it at this point giving savings rates from other bank are around 1.6%  

Instead of doing the 'Tangerine Dance' all the time, I've found Hubert Financial's 1 Year variable-rate, quarterly-cashable GIC to be a Much Better Deal . . .

For Short term investing, I don't bother with Tangerine savings accounts anymore.

To each their own,

Dean

sf-cool " Live Long, Healthy ... And Prosper! " sf-cool

June 3, 2022
5:03 am
allanp
Members
Forum Posts: 6

Dean said

Instead of doing the 'Tangerine Dance' all the time, I've found Hubert Financial's 1 Year variable-rate, quarterly-cashable GIC to be a Much Better Deal . . .

For Short term investing, I don't bother with Tangerine savings accounts anymore.

To each their own,

Dean

Sounds interesting. Do you know if they limit how many 1 year GIC's I can buy? If I break up a large deposit into multiple GIC's because I know at some point within the year I may need some funds, this way I am only cashing in one or more GIC's early and not losing out on the higher interest for the balance of my funds.

June 3, 2022
5:16 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2745

allanp said

Sounds interesting. Do you know if they limit how many 1 year GIC's I can buy? If I break up a large deposit into multiple GIC's because I know at some point within the year I may need some funds, this way I am only cashing in one or more GIC's early and not losing out on the higher interest for the balance of my funds.  

A lot of people chop it into trances for the exact reason you mentioned.
Pretty sure $100k into 5-10 tranches are fine, anything finer smaller size they may roll their eyes ? Just call them and discuss. Their reps very friendly.

June 3, 2022
5:32 am
cgouimet
Members

allanp said

I've had up to 6 at a time, one maturing every month for that purpose, with one quarterly renewal opportunity every month ...

CGO
June 3, 2022
11:43 am
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1138

savemoresaveoften said
A lot of people chop it into trances for the exact reason you mentioned.
Pretty sure $100k into 5-10 tranches are fine, anything finer smaller size they may roll their eyes ? Just call them and discuss. Their reps very friendly.  

I broke one down to 25, 15, 10, and 5. No problems.

Please write your comments in the forum.