New Tangerine Offer from Sept. 7, 2021 to Jan 31,2022 | Page 2 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
New Tangerine Offer from Sept. 7, 2021 to Jan 31,2022
September 11, 2021
7:59 am
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1473
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

semi-retired said
Wife just received the 1.4% offer.We will use it once the 1.5% offer of mine expires.  

I'm on the 1.5% thru Oct 2021.

My Wife didn't get the 1.5%.

Neither one of us have the 1.4%.

CGO
September 11, 2021
8:07 am
cgouimet
Members

semi-retired said
Wife just received the 1.4% offer.We will use it once the 1.5% offer of mine expires.  

I'm on the 1.5% thru Oct 2021.

My Wife didn't get the 1.5%.

Neither one of us have the 1.4%.

Dean said

As far as I can find (correct me if I'm wrong), with Tang there are no 'Minimums' required. However, I have found it good practice to keep at least a dollar in any account.

As for details on Tang's fees for account inactivity, scroll down to 'Dormancy Fees'

Dean

I keep $1.11 in each account (self, spouse, joint) in a few institutions and keep $ in the account(s) that are at least 0.25% better or move for offers of at least 0.5% better for at least 6 months.

CGO
September 13, 2021
2:49 pm
LK
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 195

Offered and activated.

1. Started TSFA transfer from EQ Bank. Will keep $ in TSFA Savings at Tangerine until mid-December, then transfer to Tangerine Savings, and see if there are any January TSFA promos at other FIs.

2. Will transfer out of Motive HISA to Tangerine Savings later this month, a few days before the Motive 2.25% promo ends.

For now, 1.4% until end of January gets my money. Sad but true. The only thing locked in will be the TFSA, and only for a couple of months ... until the December maneuver.

September 13, 2021
4:52 pm
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1108

LK said
Offered and activated.
2. Will transfer out of Motive HISA to Tangerine Savings later this month, a few days before the Motive 2.25% promo ends.

When did the Motive 2.25% promo start? Did you mean 1.25%?

September 14, 2021
9:01 am
LK
British Columbia, Canada
Members
September 14, 2021
11:42 am
beenba
Members
Forum Posts: 2

When offers like this come up I usually call and speak to someone to get something close. No luck this time around, was only offered a GIC options. Time to pull the plug on TANG.

September 14, 2021
4:16 pm
Dean
Valhalla Mountains, British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 1914

beenba said

When offers like this come up I usually call and speak to someone to get something close. No luck this time around, was only offered a GIC options. Time to pull the plug on TANG.  

Just in case ... don't forget to close the door behind you.

You just might be The Last One Outsf-wink

Dean

sf-cool " Live Long, Healthy ... And Prosper! " sf-cool

September 14, 2021
9:00 pm
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1160

My 1.1% promo for 150 days just ended Sat, 9-11-2021.

I called Tang on a different matter but asked the CSR if any other offers were available to my account. She offered me a 1% promotion for 150 days. I asked if there was any time limit on acceptance of this new offer and she told me that there was none and that the offer was one she could give if no other offers were available to a customer. It was kind of a 'standby' promo that could be authorized for anyone who asked for one.

September 15, 2021
1:18 pm
Dean
Valhalla Mountains, British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 1914

HermanH said

My 1.1% promo for 150 days just ended Sat, 9-11-2021.

I called Tang on a different matter but asked the CSR if any other offers were available to my account. She offered me a 1% promotion for 150 days. I asked if there was any time limit on acceptance of this new offer and she told me that there was none and that the offer was one she could give if no other offers were available to a customer. It was kind of a 'standby' promo that could be authorized for anyone who asked for one.  

Yes, 1.00% is a Lot better than their standard rate (0.10%). But as we know, there are better pickings elsewhere

Dean

sf-cool " Live Long, Healthy ... And Prosper! " sf-cool

September 15, 2021
2:20 pm
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1108

Dean said

Yes, 1.00% is a Lot better than their standard rate (0.10%). But as we know, there are better pickings elsewhere

Dean

In the land of 0.10%, 1.00% is king. LOL!

September 20, 2021
12:51 pm
HISAhopper
Members
Forum Posts: 186

Does anyone know whether the money (30K) in an existing GIC savings matured on Oct 1st was counted towards the balance threshold for this 1.4% promo?

If the answer is yes, then I can't use this promo and have to move the money elsewhere when it is matured, otherwise I can transfer the 30K into Tang savings and earn 1.4%

September 20, 2021
3:08 pm
Slybanking
Members
Forum Posts: 108

From the fine prints number 10: Money from a Bank GIC do not qualify.

Notwithstanding the above, the following are examples of the types of transactions that won’t qualify as Eligible Deposits and won’t earn Promotional Interest:
Transfers or money deposited into RIF Savings, CSA, Business Savings Account, or US$ Business Savings Account.
Money transferred from a Bank GIC, Investment Fund or Line of Credit to an Applicable Account.
Transfers made to any new RSP Savings Account from an existing RSP Savings Account or RSP GIC resulting in no change to the total Applicable Account balances in RSP Savings from September 6, 2021.
Money deposited into an RSP Savings Account and then transferred into a RSP GIC resulting in no change to the total Applicable Account balances in RSP Savings from September 6, 2021.
Transfers made to any new TFSA Savings Account from an existing TFSA Savings Account or TFSA GIC resulting in no change to the total Applicable Account balances in TFSA Savings from September 6, 2021.
Money deposited into a TFSA Savings Account and then transferred into a TFSA GIC resulting in no change to the total Applicable Account balances in TFSA Savings from September 6, 2021.
Money transferred from an RSP, TFSA or RIF Account to any Applicable Account.
Money transferred from a CSA to an Applicable Account.
Direct or indirect transfers from Tangerine Business Savings Accounts and Tangerine US$ Business Savings Accounts to Applicable Accounts.

January 18, 2022
3:20 pm
hwyc
GTA
Members
Forum Posts: 1165

Today, some may have received an 2 month extension (to end-of-March 2022) on this Sept offer of 1.4%

Doesn't sound like there is a choice on your side, which means you are stuck at 1.4% with no chance of another draw next two months

... 1.40% was great last Sept but it will be Feb 2022 soonsf-confused

January 19, 2022
2:25 pm
rhvic
Victoria, BC
Members
Forum Posts: 467

hwyc said
Today, some may have received an 2 month extension (to end-of-March 2022) on this Sept offer of 1.4%

Doesn't sound like there is a choice on your side, which means you are stuck at 1.4% with no chance of another draw next two months

... 1.40% was great last Sept but it will be Feb 2022 soonsf-confused  

I got this extension as well. I will keep some monies in Tang a bit longer then, until something more attractive appears - such as the 2% one year GIC at Hubert?

January 20, 2022
7:16 am
Canadianbull
Members
Forum Posts: 389

I got this offer as well. Not happy about it.

January 20, 2022
8:51 am
cgouimet
Members

jgclghrn said
The last offer I got ended in Feb. 2021. No one else in my family got one this time.  

Peter said
Tangerine seems to have stopped giving me these promos in 2021. My wife got this one, though. Her previous promo had expired at the end of July.  

I didn't get this 1.4% offer but I did get the 2.0% about Dec 1, good through April 30. My wife didn't.

One thing to look at though is your joint accounts. I have a joint account with my wife and one with my daughter. I have found that all the special offers to me have also applied to the joint account with my wife but never to the joint account with my daughter.

Something to keep in mind if you manage your deposits vs CDIC coverage ...

CGO
January 20, 2022
9:05 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6750

rhvic said

I got this extension as well. I will keep some monies in Tang a bit longer then, until something more attractive appears - such as the 2% one year GIC at Hubert?

One doesn't have to keep the money in the Hubert 2% one-year term for the full year.

One can cash it out at after three months and collect 1.85% per annum for the three months:

• The first three months: 1.85%
• Months four to six: 1.95%
• Months seven to nine: 2.05%
• The last three months: 2.15%

January 20, 2022
11:49 am
hwyc
GTA
Members
Forum Posts: 1165

cgouimet said ...
One thing to look at though is your joint accounts. I have a joint account with my wife and one with my daughter. I have found that all the special offers to me have also applied to the joint account with my wife but never to the joint account with my daughter.

Something to keep in mind if you manage your deposits vs CDIC coverage ...  

That simply mean your daughter is the primary owner of the joint account and therefore not eligible to an offer made to you. You could simply open another joint with daughter but with you as the primary owner, then "launder" the money as new deposit there. Keep in mind, the T5 will be yours.

One more thing, if your daughter got an offer of her own, you won't see the rate in the account details. However, as a co-owner, you can still see the promo interest transaction at end of month.

January 20, 2022
12:00 pm
cgouimet
Members

hwyc said

That simply mean your daughter is the primary owner of the joint account and therefore not eligible to an offer made to you. You could simply open another joint with daughter but with you as the primary owner, then "launder" the money as new deposit there. Keep in mind, the T5 will be yours.

One more thing, if your daughter got an offer of her own, you won't see the rate in the account details. However, you will see the promo interest transaction at end of month.  

I know...

CGO
January 28, 2022
1:21 pm
LK
British Columbia, Canada
Members

I checked Tangerine today, and it says that my 1.4% promo -- which was scheduled to end on January 31 -- has been extended to March 31. I didn't ask and had no notice of such -- just saw it when I checked the "account details" tab.

It now says this:
Your special rate is active! Nice! You're earning a special interest rate of 1.40% on new deposits to this Account until March 31, 2022.

Anyone else notice this? Did you get notice of the extension?

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.