It’s simple & rewarding to save. Earn 6.00%* interest until February 29, 2024. | Page 2 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
It’s simple & rewarding to save. Earn 6.00%* interest until February 29, 2024.
October 4, 2023
2:50 pm
calderbennett
Members
Forum Posts: 4
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

newbies1111 said
Hi guys, I am new to this. Please help me out.

I withdraw fund from my Tangerine saving account via ETF on oct 1 and it settled on oct 3 . So, if I activate this new promo and re deposit my fund back to Tangerine. Am I still eligible for the 6%??  

I did the same thing. So I clicked ACTIVATE on the email offer I received and got a friendly message from Tang say "congratulations, you're eligible" - or words to that effect.

October 4, 2023
2:54 pm
InterestThis
Members
Forum Posts: 273

For the newbies, make sure you check the applicable account's register, and confirm what the balance was end of day Oct 3. That is what everything is based on. If the money had not transfered yet, then only money above that amount will be applicable.
But if the money had cleared out before then, then it will. Be sure to check that carefully, so you don't get an unpleasant surprise on Nov 1.

October 4, 2023
5:41 pm
suburbs4life
Members
Forum Posts: 163

I was delighted to find out that my wife also received this promo this afternoon as well. Just after her sept 30th promo expired. We moved her money back in tonight. She is on a roll. Hopefully I get something in December after my promo ends to keep this momentum going.

October 4, 2023
9:40 pm
m
Members
Forum Posts: 6

I transferred money out on the 2nd and it went through on the 4th, so I'm salty.

Remember! Do not keep any cash in any Tangerine accounts when not in a promo! Drain your Tangerine accounts completely and immediately. Tangerine is more likely to reward you for doing so.

October 5, 2023
4:37 am
Ebiv
Members
Forum Posts: 17

I was about to make the switch to DUCA's 6.25% for 4 months, but I never got around to resolving my account issue with them. Now I have just received Tangerine offer on Oct 4 as well. I'm surprised in how quickly my funds were posted in the account.

Previously, I was on Simplii's 5.25% for 5 months new account promo from June. Tangerine offered me 5.50% in August and 6% in September, but I wanted to wait a little longer. Ideally, I should waited until after my Simplii's new account promo ends, but there is no guarantee I will receive this same offer 1 month later (from Nov to March).

October 5, 2023
7:37 am
davidgeorge
Members
Forum Posts: 295

I received the 6% offer. Now, my 1 year GIC with Tangerine matures today. Do the funds from matured GIC qualify as the new deposits?

October 5, 2023
7:47 am
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109

davidgeorge said
I received the 6% offer. Now, my 1 year GIC with Tangerine matures today. Do the funds from matured GIC qualify as the new deposits?  

I called about this a while back and the answer for what it's worth from the CSR was:
1) Principal is "old" money.
2) The interest is "new" money.

You should also call yourself and see if you get the same or different answer.

October 5, 2023
8:31 am
davidgeorge
Members
Forum Posts: 295

COIN said

I called about this a while back and the answer for what it's worth from the CSR was:
1) Principal is "old" money.
2) The interest is "new" money.

You should also call yourself and see if you get the same or different answer.  

Thanks for this very important information. I think even if I am told by a CSR that all funds (principal+interest) are new money, I can't totally trust the words. To avoid confusion, I move funds to DUCA.

October 5, 2023
9:19 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3930

I had same situation and question earlier this year with Tangerine (the promo had the standard wording and was confusing to me) so I let a GIC mature into savings account, checked at month-end and the entire amount got the savings account promo rate, was counted as new money in my case.

October 5, 2023
11:25 am
Vatox
Members
Forum Posts: 1218

Bill said
I had same situation and question earlier this year with Tangerine (the promo had the standard wording and was confusing to me) so I let a GIC mature into savings account, checked at month-end and the entire amount got the savings account promo rate, was counted as new money in my case.  

I would think the same, as GICs aren’t the accounts mentioned.

October 5, 2023
12:37 pm
InterestThis
Members

davidgeorge said

From my experience, if the GIC matures into the Tang CHEQUING account, and then you transfer it into the applicable account, then its a new deposit.
I make sure everything matures into the Chequing account only.

October 5, 2023
12:54 pm
Vatox
Members
Forum Posts: 1218

InterestThis said

From my experience, if the GIC matures into the Tang CHEQUING account, and then you transfer it into the applicable account, then its a new deposit.
I make sure everything matures into the Chequing account only.  

TFSA GICs too? Then it’s not tax free gains anymore.

October 5, 2023
2:55 pm
InterestThis
Members

Vatox said

TFSA GICs too? Then it’s not tax free gains anymore.  

Have not done a TFSA GIC withdraw, but yes if you move a TFSA GIC out of the TFSA account, then its a TFSA withdrawal.
TFSA GIC into TFSA savings, maybe someone else has experience with that?

October 5, 2023
3:16 pm
victor6433
Members
Forum Posts: 84

The Rock said

May I have yours? Haven't had one since my promo ended in June.  

Rock.. Duca is at 6.25%
Up 250G coverage..

October 5, 2023
4:42 pm
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1116

victor6433 said

Rock.. Duca is at 6.25%
Up 250G coverage..  

Check how much money is in DIRF (Deposit Insurance Reserve Fund) which covers Ontario credit unions. Then, divide that number by 250,000 to estimate how many depositors will be covered 100%.

October 5, 2023
4:54 pm
mordko
Members
Forum Posts: 835

Alexandre said

Check how much money is in DIRF (Deposit Insurance Reserve Fund) which covers Ontario credit unions. Then, divide that number by 250,000 to estimate how many depositors will be covered 100%.  

Less than a couple of thousand on that basis but one hopes most deposits are much smaller. Likely OK as long as the Unions go belly up individually rather than as a team.

October 5, 2023
8:40 pm
victor6433
Members

Alexandre said

Hmm.. interesting didn't know this.....

October 5, 2023
9:09 pm
victor6433
Members

Thank you. Alexandra
so same as Saven bank as well Ontario right... Hmm.

October 6, 2023
4:49 am
mordko
Members
Forum Posts: 835

Yes, because Saven is a Credit Union.

October 6, 2023
6:05 am
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109

mordko said

Less than a couple of thousand on that basis but one hopes most deposits are much smaller. Likely OK as long as the Unions go belly up individually rather than as a team.  

Yes, that is how insurance works. It assumes that not every credit union will go bust at the same time.

Same idea with fire insurance on your house, it is based on the assumption that not every house will catch fire at the same time. All bets are off if your town is hit by a raging forest fire.

I vaguely remember Lloyd of London had a problem many years ago when almost every disaster they insured happened at the same time. The call went out to the "Names" demanding more money. Sad story.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.