December 1st, 2019 Promo ? | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
December 1st, 2019 Promo ?
October 9, 2019
5:38 am
moneyhelp
Members
Forum Posts: 273
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Does anyone remember when Tangerine offers new promo's before the current ones end? Do they offer one a few days before the current one ends or a month in advance?

I am currently on the 2.75% promo that started in June and ends November 30th. Its been a long time since having to play the pull funds out and then deposit funds back in game if/when offered a promo rate, that I don't remember if Tangerine still does this game thingy; so debating about pulling out or just keeping funds in to see if a promo rate is even offered to me.

Lately after reading some posts, it seems that offers are now random, where some whom had been offered better rates in one period may not necessarily be offered better rates the next.

October 9, 2019
5:53 am
lisa
Members
Forum Posts: 34

My husbands offer ended September 14th, he called on the 13 and they said could not do anything till offer was finished. Called again on the 15th and after much haggling and asking to speak to a manager, they offered 2.5% for 6 months, had a 0 balance in account. Hope I'm as lucky when my offer ends at the end of November, 2.5% is looking quite attractive these days.

October 9, 2019
6:12 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9243

Tangerine is a bit of a moving target. They keep tinkering with their system.

I have never known them to make an offer BEFORE an old one expires.

To remind you, the way we used to do it was to move funds out a week or so before the end of the promo (or move to Tang chequing - just as good in the past, and less trouble). Then, when the old offer expires, call them and try to negotiate a new one. The reason for taking it out a bit early is because t you don't know what they will use as a cut-off date for "new money"

However, it is not at all clear to me if ti is still a valid strategy. It seems as if Tang eventually gets tired of us, regardless, although it can take a few years.

We have almost always had very good offers from them, and have obliged by leaving money there. But last time around, I was told I'd have to give them $250.000 in order to get a decent offer - far more than i've ever deposited as I stay within CDIC. Spouse, on the other hand, was offered 2.5 with no qualifications! last month when previous 2.75 expired. We both have about the same profile there. We both declined as it's fairly easy for us to get at least 3% elsewhere, which we are doing - at least until Jan/Feb.

I expect we will be doing less and less business with them in future. If a good no-strings offer comes along, I'm willing to consider it; I'm just not willing to work very hard at getting it.

October 9, 2019
6:29 am
moneyhelp
Members

Loonie said
I have never known them to make an offer BEFORE an old one expires.

To remind you, the way we used to do it was to move funds out a week or so before the end of the promo (or move to Tang chequing - just as good in the past, and less trouble). Then, when the old offer expires, call them and try to negotiate a new one. The reason for taking it out a bit early is because t you don't know what they will use as a cut-off date for "new money"

Yes, that's right! Now its coming back to me, I would pull out about 5 business days in advance and wait to see if they offer me a promo rate, which to be honest they always have ever since I've opened my account with them summer of 2017. I've never had to call/chat with them to ask for a promo rate, kind of glad I didn't have to, and hope I won't need to when my current promo ends November 30th.

For the sake of simplicity, I'd try with the chat feature if I don't get offered something better and if they do not offer me anything, then woosh! to Achieva my $ goes!

Note:
I did reply to a post in another thread where I attempted to get a better rate (3%) than the current promo rate they offered (2.75%) and that's when they had told me (via chat) that in order to get 3% your balance would have to be at least $80K, whereas I was in the $60K range; maybe it will be the same this time around.

October 9, 2019
3:09 pm
suburbs4life
Members
Forum Posts: 161

Money help- well I am impressed you got such a great rate from them.
They gave me such a hard time getting 2.5% with well above cdic bank limits. I will try moving my money into chequing 5 days prior to my promo expiry in Nov. I hope that works. I really don’t want to create more bank accounts at other FI’s.

October 9, 2019
5:13 pm
moneyhelp
Members

suburbs4life said
Money help- well I am impressed you got such a great rate from them.
They gave me such a hard time getting 2.5% with well above cdic bank limits. I will try moving my money into chequing 5 days prior to my promo expiry in Nov. I hope that works. I really don’t want to create more bank accounts at other FI’s.  

I hear ya, but if your balance is well over $100K CDIC limit, then it might be worthwhile investing a little bit of time to open an account at another FI if they offer higher rates compared with the big 5 banks. ie. usually Manitoba CU, like Achieva or Hubert and some others too.

October 10, 2019
7:12 pm
suburbs4life
Members
Forum Posts: 161

moneyhelp said

I hear ya, but if your balance is well over $100K CDIC limit, then it might be worthwhile investing a little bit of time to open an account at another FI if they offer higher rates compared with the big 5 banks. ie. usually Manitoba CU, like Achieva or Hubert and some others too.  

Yeah I hear ya but I am trying to minimize my personal info being at different institutions to reduce my exposure to identity theft. We all hear about the hacking of SIN’s etc in the news these days. Pretty sure the only better deal out right now is at motive bank.

October 11, 2019
8:33 pm
maxb
Members
Forum Posts: 66

In general, I simply move my money to EQBank (currently earning 2.3%) until I get a better offer.

This time, my money is moving to DUCA where I got 3% till Jan2020

Please write your comments in the forum.