Seasons Greetings 2017 | Site suggestions | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Seasons Greetings 2017
December 22, 2017
6:44 am
Nehpets
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 979
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

As a relatively recent member of this great Forum, I looked for the appropriate Forum section to wish everyone celebrating the Holidays, the very best for the Holiday Season, along with good health and prosperity (consistent with the Forum's mission) in 2018.

I have enjoyed and benefited from the information and good advice on the Forum and the site as a whole and thank Peter for making it available.

In line with my search for the appropriate Forum section to post Holiday Greetings, has it ever been considered to form an "Off Topic" section where non financial discussions might occur?

Stephen

December 22, 2017
7:18 am
Peter
Admin
Forum Posts: 1404

Thanks, and same to you! An "Off Topic" section hasn't come up yet, but it just depends on whether there's enough demand for it.

December 22, 2017
7:29 am
JenE
Members
Forum Posts: 416

Merry Christmas, Season’s Greetings, Happy New Year, to all. (What a thoughtful man you are Stephen). sf-smile

December 22, 2017
12:36 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4230

Peter said
Thanks, and same to you! An "Off Topic" section hasn't come up yet, but it just depends on whether there's enough demand for it.  

Yeah, I generally try to put any "off topic" posts in either "site suggestions" or "general financial discussion(s)," as applicable.sf-cool

Cheers,
Doug

December 22, 2017
7:19 pm
Koogie
Members
Forum Posts: 334

Happy Relevant Holiday Greetings to all.

Also a +1 thank you to Peter for this site. It has been a tremendous help to me over the years and I recommend it to others on the internet whenever the topic comes up.

Cheers.

December 22, 2017
7:42 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9241

Thanks, Stephen. Same to you! May we all prosper!

There is also the "Stories" section which covers some things that don'qt uite fit elsewhere.

Personally, I wouldn't want the forum to get too far off the track, as it would become cluttered.

December 22, 2017
8:22 pm
User230
Members
Forum Posts: 184

Bah! Humbug!

Christmas is a hoax created by the retail stores to spur unnecessary spending!

Basically, this is Rob Stock's view point. He is a Personal finance guy (I'm pretty sure) in New Zealand and I've recently started to read his articles. He's a grumpy fellow. At least about Christmas.

From the article "Our Christmas present tradition is irrational ":

"In many ways, Christmas is an irrational reason to spend money, especially for the majority non-Christian portion of the population"

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/99739413/our-christmas-present-tradition-is-irrational

Also, this article from the year before "Christmas comes but once a year... and it's in mid-October":

"Christmas is a form of mental and financial torture."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/85419484/rob-stock-christmas-comes-but-once-a-year-and-its-in-midoctober?cid=facebook.post.85419484

Here's another Gem of an article "Three weddings and a financial funeral ":

"My heart sank when he talked about a man who borrowed because all three of his daughters were getting married in the same year."

"It was poverty economics at work, and opportunism. We didn't have any money, and it would never have occurred to us to borrow.
The whole day cost next to nothing. It was lovely."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/86352574/Rob-Stock-Three-weddings-and-a-financial-funeral

We need more view points. Rather than just cheery ones.

Keep sober with Christmas Stephen. Sober. Same for everyone else to 🙂

December 23, 2017
3:59 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9241

There's not much point in faulting Christmas for the excesses that have grown up like weeds around it.

Theologically speaking (dare I say it about a religious holiday?), Christmas celebrates a gift freely given. When people receive such gifts, it is right and, I hope, natural, for them to say thank you. Stephen's greeting is very much in this spirit, and welcome.

Other faiths abound, and that is not a problem, but this particular holiday (=holy day) season exists because of Christmas, because of a powerful story, with lots of "trimmings", of a gift freely given. You don't have to agree with the underlying theology (a much longer story!) to get into the spirit of it, but, still, it might change your life if you did. Them's the risks.

End of sermon. (My shortest!sf-smile)

December 23, 2017
5:36 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3919

Even since pre-Christmas times many peoples in the northern latitudes have celebrated (and often to excess in whatever form excess took in their "tribe") the solstice, the return of the son around Dec 21 of every year. And in gratitude and relief that warmth and new life will return it makes sense that part of the revelry includes offerings of gifts (needed or not!), a reaction tailor-made for an earning-spending consumer society/world where a huge proportion of the 99.9% obviously have money to spend. Enjoy, it's back to work soon enough!

Please write your comments in the forum.