SD2013 and differing opinions | Site suggestions | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
SD2013 and differing opinions
April 1, 2014
2:38 pm
BC
Members
Forum Posts: 6
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Edit by admin: this thread was split from here

Some of you will remember that SD2013 spoke of the Economies being in trouble sometime back before he left this Forum. We should reach out to him to return to the Forum & re-join the conversations. His experience & financial ideas add a different dimension for consideration in my opinion.

BC

April 1, 2014
6:14 pm
Dennis
Members
Forum Posts: 84

BC said

Some of you will remember that SD2013 spoke of the Economies being in trouble sometime back before he left this Forum. We should reach out to him to return to the Forum & re-join the conversations. His experience & financial ideas add a different dimension for consideration in my opinion.

BC

I don't think it was his topic that cause the problem.

April 1, 2014
7:24 pm
BC
Members

So what exactly caused us to lose someone like SD2013? ...SD2013 is a person managing family funds of 7.5 million who offered fixed income ideas (long bond values are going down as he stated they would), high wealth investor strategies, disability insurance, long-term care insurance, life insurance, annuities, real estate & mortgage ideas/opinions to name a few from his & his parents' personal research/purchases and also he used his time to pass on answers to many members here.

Please be specific if you know Dennis why we lost SD2013. I must confess I did not read everything on the Forum, however I read a clashing of financial ideas where he was out numbered a few times & personal hits on both sides & also something about "show us the link on the BOC Governor remarks" & then SD2013 asked "what is the purpose of this Forum" before he left. Over all I think he brought many good answers & ideas for consideration on this Forum & it would be great to have him back! For me, it hasn't been as exciting nor informative from an investing perspective at the Forum since SD2013 left.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks,

BC

April 2, 2014
6:09 am
Itisthetimethisistheplace
Members
Forum Posts: 18

BC said

So what exactly caused us to lose someone like SD2013? ...SD2013 is a person managing family funds of 7.5 million who offered fixed income ideas (long bond values are going down as he stated they would), high wealth investor strategies, disability insurance, long-term care insurance, life insurance, annuities, real estate & mortgage ideas/opinions to name a few from his & his parents' personal research/purchases and also he used his time to pass on answers to many members here.

Please be specific if you know Dennis why we lost SD2013. I must confess I did not read everything on the Forum, however I read a clashing of financial ideas where he was out numbered a few times & personal hits on both sides & also something about "show us the link on the BOC Governor remarks" & then SD2013 asked "what is the purpose of this Forum" before he left. Over all I think he brought many good answers & ideas for consideration on this Forum & it would be great to have him back! For me, it hasn't been as exciting nor informative from an investing perspective at the Forum since SD2013 left.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks,

BC

@BC

Call me cynical, but you seem to remember every subject SD2013 wrote about, in detail.

With you having less than a handful of posts, and being such a staunch supporter of SD2013 only leads me to believe you are in fact posting as SD2013 under the guise of BC.

Let’s face it, you are only speaking up now supporting his ideas, so I am afraid in my view your credibility here is weak.

He has been gone just over a week or so and saying the forum isn’t as “exciting” nor “informative”…give me a break. Nothing has changed.

There are some excellent knowledgeable people on this forum whom do not hold a blinkered view on finance and investment. Sticking to the OP topic is often difficult, but I will reiterate again; SD2103s objective was to always spin any topic into talking about his investment/wealth/family etc. For example, an 18 year old noob, whom wanted the best vehicle to start saving does not need to be blinded by talk of strip bonds. I don’t know how many more times I have to use this example.

April 2, 2014
8:12 am
Dennis
Members
Forum Posts: 84

I couldn't agree more with you - Brian and ITISTHETIMETHISIS.

April 3, 2014
6:44 pm
BC
Members

Hi Member: ITS THE TIME THIS IS THE PLACE,

Thanks for asking, as I agree that "you do not know who I am" but all I can do is re-state that I am not SD2013. I am in a different time zone. Maybe the Administrator, Peter, is somehow able to see this? How I remember what SD2013 stated is simple, as I printed topics of interest to me from the Forum when I joined a few months ago.

There is a Forum member who is a Financial Advisor named Hdubya who agreed with SD2013's long bond strategy for his high wealth investors & you also questioned if Hdubya was really an F/A.

Basically, the only thing that you, I, or others can be certain of on this Forum is the Bank Interest Rate Tables/Charts (if there is no error in the human input).

Everything should be verified & thought about including context, subjectivity etc
Example: even Economist Benjamin Tal (CIBC World Markets) questioned Housing Market Data today.

I have not been a Forum member for very long as you stated. I had always preferred (like probably many members on this Forum ( judging by the huge number of "views" recorded on topics), to stay silent as writing is not my specialty, however I decided to put on the record that I valued SD2013's opinions/research/financial life experiences & in hindsight thought he should have had a Fixed Income Thread on this Forum. But, SD2013 is not a one-area-of-experience person: his 5 year monthly-interest-paying GIC idea (of 3%) seems sound for seniors who need funds monthly in this low income environment, His long provincial strip bond(15 year) idea with a 4.15 net yield, if you had purchased in December 2013 (actually provides over a 5.5% compounding yield) & could be a good secure investment in an RRSP whether young or older. (No one really knows where we are headed & global economies & demographics are concerns)

SD2013 also wrote about Critical Care Insurance, last Testaments/POAs and many other topics of interest to members.

You are a Day Trader you stated, which adds a different dimension to a "High Interest Savings Forum" and would be the opposite of what Fixed Income Investers such as SD2013 were doing. Only time will tell, if SD2013's long term financial ideas/opinions, similar to the Bank of Canada Governor, Poloz's statement, "of an extended period of low growth & rates" were correct.

As one member stated in another thread & I will try to paraphrase: we got a lot from his participation, however he was not sure what SD2013 got out of participating.

BC

April 8, 2014
3:52 pm
hdubya
Members
Forum Posts: 19

Sincerest apologies: I did not meant to mislead anyone, I am not an FA (though I wouldn't rule it out) but a consultant in Investment Management and Financial Services. Even in our field, there is more than one way to go about things - SD simply stating his own opinion and everyone else theirs as well. Hopefully no harm done.

April 10, 2014
5:56 pm
CharlieFox
Members
Forum Posts: 18

Ohhhh. I was wondering where SD went.
I am planning to buy some Small Cap MFs, and wanted to balance out the risks with some bonds. I remembered his posts were mostly about bonds, but was disappointed to find his posts are blanks now.

His posts were a bit difficult to read due to the way he formats it (or my lack of understanding), but the ones where did I reread a few times were informative. I didnt read anything from him that talks about anything that's riskier than bonds so assumed he doesnt like risks or is retired.

said

While SD2013 did provide his perspective on things, he was unwilling or unable to provide the source or back-up reference for some of the "facts" he stated. I don't think he liked to be questioned and that contributed to his deciding to leave.
There is nothing wrong with having opinions, but when one states "facts", one should be able to show the source, if one really wants to help the less informed and those of us with less than $7M.

If that's what happened, it sounds like both parties were lacking empathy. Then again, I dont know what was said.

April 11, 2014
12:43 am
martin14
Members
Forum Posts: 32

Call me cynical, but you seem to remember every subject SD2013 wrote about, in detail.

A member with 18 posts is calling a member with 5 posts a 'newbie'.

That's almost... funny. :)

April 11, 2014
3:46 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9242

The kinds of bonds that SD advocated were as risk free as a Cdn-dollar investment can reasonably be. He only advocated the use of govt-issue strip bonds held to maturity and laddered. He did not advocate bond funds, junk bonds, trading in bonds, etc.
I must admit that I don't see much point in rehashing what he said or didn't say because the evidence of it has been removed.

April 11, 2014
4:58 pm
Save2Retire@55
Members
Forum Posts: 845

Thanks for bringing this topic up. SD2013 was one of the few who always replied to my questions in details and guided me to choose from the best available options. Even for things he is not involved like RESP, he did the search and provided really useful information. I really DO miss his topics and explanations and to be honest I felt so bad when some people here targeted him in that way. Since he left, I don't come here as often not that you guys are not helpful but he was very detailed and update his posts whenever there is something new. And I wish I could be in contact with him some how if not through this site and get benefit of his knowledge. SD2013 if you read this please know that there are lots of us who want you back here. If you are not coming and willing to help the same way you used to always, please send us any other methods to contact you. sf-frown

April 11, 2014
6:42 pm
Rick
Members
Forum Posts: 1110

SD was a valuable resource for this forum. His responses were always timely and informative, if not a bit too in depth. His main focus was on strip bonds, which are not an option for my particular situation, but his opinion and input were always appreciated. Hope he is doing well and I wish him all the best. Thank you for your input.

June 10, 2014
9:55 pm
BC
Members

SD2013 has recently contacted me on my personal email address.

He stated it was okay to pass on his personal email to those of you who had asked. "Feel free to contact him with questions etc. He looks forward to hearing from you." For me it is easiest to post it once here, than email you individually however Loonie's point of spam may be very valid.

His email address can be had by private messaging me.

Thanks,
BC

June 10, 2014
10:32 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9242

If I were SD, I would not want my email address broadcast in this way, as it makes him very vulnerable to spam. This forum is very public.
Perhaps you have his permission to do this, but, if not, I suggest you remove it until you do. He can always sign in again and receive personal messages through this site, and take it from there with email, which at least allows some privacy around the email address.

August 5, 2014
5:00 pm
Jack Manning
Banned
Forum Posts: 379

I think this forum does not have enough opinions. They are only opinions and I think that there is too much narrow biased comments that causes more confusion.

The real problem is people today believe anyone they read, listen or watch. They are too dependent on others and don't want the hassle of experiencing themselves the actual process of taking care of their financial affairs.

It is sad that there is not enough emphasized on financially literacy in our society. The real truth is that the financial industry wants to continue the way things are now and will continue to make massive profits because the Canadian public does not take the time to know what is right for themselves.

By the way, if you don't stand up for yourself then who will? Nobody will!

Please write your comments in the forum.