Simplii 3.15% until April 30, 2020 | Simplii Financial | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Simplii 3.15% until April 30, 2020
March 4, 2020
4:07 am
dentgal
Members
Forum Posts: 206
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

My CIBC 2.75 rate ended on Feb 28, 2020 so I needed to move the money out. I had been offered promos in Nov from both Simplii (2.8) and Tanga (2.5%), which both end on April 30, 2020.
So I called Simplii yesterday to double check that I will receive the 2.8% till April 30, 2020.
I just about fell out of my chair: the CSR offered me 3.15% till April 30, 2020, AND that rate will apply to all the money that I had moved in. (retroactive!!)
BUT YOU MUST CALL to get this rate. I suspect it is only for large account holders, but I don't know this for certain. It is targeted, but before she looked at my account, she said that "we have a great special".
I know that it's only another 6 weeks, but if this makes sense for you, then enjoy the 3.15% rate!!!

March 4, 2020
8:16 pm
FC
Members
Forum Posts: 11

Thanks for the tip Dentgal! I tried calling but no luck for me but good to know anyhow thanks!

March 5, 2020
5:52 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2871

called in too and was declined. Maybe cuz I already have money there...

March 5, 2020
9:01 pm
Joe
Banned
Forum Posts: 207

dentgal said
My CIBC 2.75 rate ended on Feb 28, 2020 so I needed to move the money out. I had been offered promos in Nov from both Simplii (2.8) and Tanga (2.5%), which both end on April 30, 2020.
So I called Simplii yesterday to double check that I will receive the 2.8% till April 30, 2020.
I just about fell out of my chair: the CSR offered me 3.15% till April 30, 2020, AND that rate will apply to all the money that I had moved in. (retroactive!!)
BUT YOU MUST CALL to get this rate. I suspect it is only for large account holders, but I don't know this for certain. It is targeted, but before she looked at my account, she said that "we have a great special".
I know that it's only another 6 weeks, but if this makes sense for you, then enjoy the 3.15% rate!!!  

Nice one Dentgal, but that's rate chasing, and is frowned upon by many readers here. You are definitely winning with that rate. You go girl!

Tangerine....Canada's best bank. LBC.............Canada's 2nd best bank.
Hubert.....worst bank in Canada.

March 5, 2020
10:08 pm
implode
Members
Forum Posts: 167

Joe said

Nice one Dentgal, but that's rate chasing, and is frowned upon by many readers here. You are definitely winning with that rate. You go girl!  

Is it frowned upon? I move my money to where I get the best return I can at a comfort level I'm fine with.

March 5, 2020
11:24 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9241

I can't think of anyone who really frowns upon it here. That would make you a sitting duck for the big banks.
Everyone picks and chooses which rates they want to pursue, weighs the convenience/inconvenience, insurability and other personally relevant factors.
If we weren't chasing rates to some degree, we probably wouldn't be here.

March 6, 2020
6:53 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2871

Moving money around to earn the highest rate should be encouraged and not frown upon.
No such thing as loyalty bonus when it comes to telecom, banks, insurance companies. Loyalty premium is what one gets (as in pay more, earn less compare to newbies)

March 6, 2020
8:33 am
gicjunkie
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 653

Loonie said
I can't think of anyone who really frowns upon it here. That would make you a sitting duck for the big banks.
Everyone picks and chooses which rates they want to pursue, weighs the convenience/inconvenience, insurability and other personally relevant factors.

I totally agree with Loonie. The reason most of us read and contribute to this site is to enhance our knowledge of financial products and, therefore, how we may then increase our earning power. For some of us the effort may not be worth the reward, but that will always be a personal decision. I know that the term "rate chaser" can be used derogatorily, but we in the know think of it "affectionately".

Maybe the name of this site should be changed to "Ratechasers.ca"?

Just kidding. It's fine the way it is.

March 6, 2020
10:57 am
hwyc
GTA
Members
Forum Posts: 1165

Was the base rate 1.05% since the beginning of the offer - November 1, 2019 ? Sorry I lost track.

Ok thanks GR - so it dropped the same day as Tangerine

March 6, 2020
12:09 pm
GR
Members
Forum Posts: 632

hwyc said
Was the base rate 1.05% since the beginning of the offer - November 1, 2019 ? Sorry I lost track.  

The base HISA rate was 1.10% from Nov 1, 2019 until Jan 7, 2020; then 1.05% since Jan 8, 2020. My understanding is that the promo offer of 2.80% from Nov 2019 to April 2020 remains the same, with the bonus rate increasing from 1.70% to 1.75% to compensate for the reduction in the base rate.

March 7, 2020
12:25 am
Joe
Banned

implode said

Is it frowned upon? I move my money to where I get the best return I can at a comfort level I'm fine with.  

I'm with you there....do it all the time.

March 7, 2020
12:27 am
Joe
Banned

Loonie said

Oh my, you have changed your tune....good on ya.

March 7, 2020
4:25 am
Loonie
Members

I don't think I've really changed my tune, but it may sound different.
I don't take every deal that comes along, for various reasons. But I try to look into all of them before I decide..

March 7, 2020
6:51 pm
dentgal
Members
Forum Posts: 206

Glad that some people appreciated my post. Honestly, I'm a bit shocked at the response. Rate chasing? Absolutely!! And proud of it!

March 8, 2020
8:02 am
suburbs4life
Members
Forum Posts: 161

dentgal said
Glad that some people appreciated my post. Honestly, I'm a bit shocked at the response. Rate chasing? Absolutely!! And proud of it!  

I appreciated the post. Thank you.

March 24, 2020
8:33 am
potofgold
Members
Forum Posts: 4

I have been a very long-time reader of this website but only today registered myself to post replies. I called Simplii today since I already had some money that I put in last November in both the HISA and TFSA. I am getting 2.8% which is right now the best I can find. Since reading this particular forum, I was excited about a 3.15% possibility. So, they told me they were not able to offer me 3.15 from November 2019 to the end of the savings period of April 30, 2020 - only the 2.8%. However, they were able to offer me the difference between the two (0.35%) from the start to today, of the amount existing in my account now - for both the HISA and my TFSA. That difference came to about $83 total, and will be deposited directly to my HISA before the end of this week. Just had to let you all know. The 2.8% remains until the end of April 30. I should mentioned that they took into account of my long-standing account holdership with President's Choice/ now Simplii as well.

March 24, 2020
8:58 pm
Loonie
Members

Nice one, potofgold!
Welcome to the forum.

Please write your comments in the forum.