PC Financial 2.25% (June-August 2016) offer (to some) | Page 2 | Simplii Financial | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
PC Financial 2.25% (June-August 2016) offer (to some)
June 12, 2016
8:29 pm
Schrodinger's Ape
Members
Forum Posts: 49
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

dentgal said Schroedinger, I definitely agree that if you have $5000 to invest, you are simply not talking about enough interest to be bothered constantly moving your money.
For every $100,000 we have to invest, an additional 1% interest=$1000 per year. I guess we all have our "magic" number of how much additional interest do we need to get to make it "worth our while" to continue with the dance!

Savings accounts aren't investments, they're capital preservation tools, and poor ones at that. The only advantages of savings accounts are safety and liquidity, which is why I use them for emergency money that I may need to access when the market is down. Other than that, they're a sure-fire way to guarantee your money loses spending power over time due to the vast discrepancy between inflation and so-called "high interest" rates.

There's no logical reason why anyone would keep $100,000 in a savings account and need to move it every 3 months. If you're too risk-adverse to be in the market, then at least put it in laddered GICs so you only have to "rate chase" once a year. But if you want any real growth, your investments need to be, well, invested.

June 13, 2016
10:44 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3911

S Ape, what you say is true. And while you point out there is no logical reason anyone would keep $100,000 in savings accounts, some of us like to be illogical sometimes, including in our relationship with money. I'm not busy, so a few minutes every few months to move money is not a big deal, and with the constant promotions I've done ok, often better than with GIC rates without any of my money being locked up. If you've got enough in your "serious" investments, pensions, TFSAs, etc, sometimes it's just plain enjoyable to have lots of available cash in savings accounts, available if you want as you want for life's impulses if any should come along. And, as you say, there is a cost for that enjoyment, like all of life's pleasures.

June 13, 2016
11:21 am
Schrodinger's Ape
Members
Forum Posts: 49

lol fair enough! I'm illogical lots of times so I can relate. I'm just rigidly logical about money, probably because my parent's weren't so I swung the pendulum the other way... I won't even spend $100 without taking a week to research all the options, read reviews, etc. $100,000 impulsively would break my brain!

June 13, 2016
1:29 pm
Bill
Members

I can relate, pretty much how I used to be in my accumulation phase, but now I'm entering the "some-ex-spouse-who-I-never-really-liked-anyway-of-one-of-my-kids-is-going-to-be-getting-some-of-what-I-don't-end-up-spending" phase of my life so now I'm quite happy to loosen the purse strings a bit. If you're lucky (?!), you'll get there some day too!

June 13, 2016
5:34 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9238

An ex-spouse of one of your kids?? How does that happen? My father had his will written so that not even my current and only spouse could get at it.

The other thing that enters into it in the retirement phase is that money is in the reverse situation of what it was when you were working. Instead of earning and saving, you are looking to create income streams and make sure you have cash flow. It turns everything upside down. If you've done a good enough job so far, you no longer have to save up for anything, but a lifetime of habits aren't easily broken.
"Retirement income planning" is a whole other art and there are far fewer resources on this than there are on the earlier part of life. Most in this field seem to recommend a substantial cash nest egg be retained. If the furnace, AC, car, and roof die in succession and your investments tank, you're going to need that 100K and you'll be really glad it earned that boring 2%.

June 13, 2016
6:26 pm
Bill
Members

Loonie, endless ways your money can end up in hands you never intended. Just one little example: You die, leave some money to a married child, they go buy a nicer house with your dough, they split up, spouse gets half some of which was yours (and maybe spouse even gets to keep the house, gets another spouse, they split up and that new spouse ends up with some of your dough!).

I'm not an expert but how do you write a will that provides a financial bequest to someone but you can still stipulate what they do with it (short of setting up some complicated scheme involving trusts or corporations, etc)? I'd be interested to hear some ideas! Once a gift is given, it's theirs, end of story. Furthermore, you're not around to enforce anything, so who would even bother to try to enforce your wishes? For example, if the Will says it's not to be mingled with the marital assets, what if they do anyway?

And I agree, you need to keep enough dough for remaining contingencies, as you list. But on the breaking lifetime habits, I agree, it was a bit strange at first but surprisingly I've found it's also true that humans can get used to new habits pretty easily, it's very liberating!
And in my case, both through my work over decades and observing the wealthier members of my extended family, I've seen what usually (not always, but usually) happens to hard-earned money when it's passed on in a generally affluent society where serial mating and marriage is the norm, and that's only reinforced my convictions to let loose, at least partially.

June 13, 2016
8:09 pm
Loonie
Members

I see what you mean, Bill. I had thought you meant it was already a done deal that the money would go to the ex.

No, you can't do anything about it if your child chooses to put the money in a place where it automatically becomes joint property, like a house etc.
But you can do other things. You probably know this already. You can stipulate in your will that the money is not to be matrimonial property (at least in Ontario you can). That idea was put in to help women, if I remember correctly.
Then, if your kids are savvy enough, they can continue to keep it segregated indefinitely. I know someone who has done this to very good effect - in this case, after 20 years, the spouse still doesn't even know how much is in the pot.

I expect you've already asked a lawyer about this, but, if not, please do.

I think too that there's nothing to prevent you from adding advice to your will. I expect you've already discussed all this with your kids and they sort of know what your advice would be. But, still, a fatherly "Dear Susie" to be read upon your death is not out of place and might hold more weight as your "last words" than it does now. Tell them how you would like or advise them to handle the money. And the next generation can do the same thing as long as they continue to keep it in a one-owner account.

the money can certainly be used to help your child's family without adding to the spouse's estate. It can be the cash they need to buy a new car (in your child's name) or take a family vacation, pay for grandchild's tuition, etc.

Alternatively, out of your annual surplus, send them on a vacation or whatever - something nobody can get at later.

June 14, 2016
5:26 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6750

Loonie said

… You can stipulate in your will that the money is not to be matrimonial property (at least in Ontario you can). That idea was put in to help women, if I remember correctly.
Then, if your kids are savvy enough, they can continue to keep it segregated indefinitely. I know someone who has done this to very good effect - in this case, after 20 years, the spouse still doesn't even know how much is in the pot.

That is interesting. However, such a declaration only applies to the spouse at the time of bequest. This is from the May 2015 advisory Estate Planning and Marital Property Considerations by O'Sullivan Estate Lawyers:

Special Considerations Regarding Gifts and Inheritances Received Pre-Marriage and Post-Marriage

The post-marriage increase in the value of gifts and inheritances and income arising from gifts or inheritances which have been received prior to the date of the marriage is included in the calculation of the value of each spouse’s assets for equalization purposes, unless a domestic contract excludes it. Under the [Family Law Act (Ontario)] Act, as noted above, the capital value of gifts and inheritances received during marriage is excluded in the equalization calculation (unless this exclusion is lost as explained further below), and as well the increase in value of gifts or inheritances received during marriage and the income arising from such gifts or inheritances, if the person who has made the gift has stipulated that the gains and income is to be excluded in a deed of gift or in his or her will, is excluded. For this reason, it is common practice in Ontario for wills to include a special clause for this purpose.

June 14, 2016
6:46 pm
Loonie
Members

I'm not sure what you mean about the spouse at the time of bequest.
I read that excerpt as agreeing with what I wrote before.

My point was that a parent can make a bequest to a child which specifies that the gift is not to be part of the child's matrimonial property, and that this can be upheld. As the excerpt states, it was pursuant to changes in the Family Law Act (which were intended to give better protection to women in the event of divorce, as I recall.)
However, I have been told that the child must then take measures to ensure that the gift doesn't get mixed in with their matrimonial assets such as house, joint accounts etc. If it does get mixed in, then that takes precedence and cannot be disentangled later.

June 14, 2016
7:11 pm
Norman1
Members

Loonie said

I'm not sure what you mean about the spouse at the time of bequest.
I read that excerpt as agreeing with what I wrote before.

….

I think that inheritances and gifts received by a child during his/her first marriage become inheritances and gifts received by the child prior to his/her second marriage.

Consequently, the first sentence would apply as follows:

The post-[second]marriage increase in the value of gifts and inheritances and income arising from gifts or inheritances which have been received prior to the date of the [second] marriage is included in the calculation of the value of each spouse’s assets for equalization purposes, unless a domestic contract excludes it.

That suggests a divorce and subsequent marriage voids any matrimonial property exclusion of a gift or bequest.

June 14, 2016
9:14 pm
Loonie
Members

At best, though, this only applies to the "increase", not the actual inheritance. AND, you can contract out of it, which is what I meant about the child needing to be careful to continue to segregate the inheritance.

Further, the whole thing is exempt if received during a marriage, as per the second sentence.

Actually, I don't think this excerpt is very well written. Shorter sentences, if necessary with sub-heads, would have been made the intention clearer.

Anyone involved in this kind of situation or anticipating it should probably consult a lawyer.

June 15, 2016
12:13 pm
Bill
Members

Bottom line is if it's kept separate, no problem. Once it's co-mingled with spousal assets or activities, it loses its separate identity. You can stipulate what you want, the living will do what they want. Things can be going along well, so happy couples normally comingle, spend or invest it together (why would someone 100% committed to a relationship keep things separate? You're supposed to cleave to your spouse, not mommy and daddy, when you shack up as an adult), and the future will unfold as it will.
Guess I'm just not motivated enough to try to manipulate what happens after I'm gone. I accept the choices my own kids have made re partners (everybody gets to dig their own hole, I tell 'em!), my daughters/sons-in-law have become part of the ever-changing family (sometimes I prefer them to my own kids!), so with respect to any leftovers I'm certainly not going to create ill will among the living by getting a lawyer to set up special provisions to try to exclude anyone or have them feel I treated them unfairly when they were good to me & mine. Whatever happens down the road happens, my personal connection with earthlings will be zero at that point.

June 15, 2016
6:27 pm
Loonie
Members

For what it's worth, to my hearing, you sound a bit conflicted over this, Bill. I'm just flagging that.
My understanding is that lawyers typically suggest these kinds of clauses for wills, but of course you don't have to accept them.
I'm not trying to change your mind in any way. You should do what you think best. The discussion in the last several posts was only about clarifying what the options were.

June 15, 2016
7:59 pm
Bill
Members

No need to flag, I'm crystal clear on what I'm doing personally, Loonie, I'm just pointing out to those who are concerned about such things the little I know about the topic - mainly due to a lawyer (distant) family member who often seems more interested in my Will than I am and so tells me unsolicited stuff that I'm not going to do even if it is a idea generally held in society and also due to the nature of one of my former careers wherein I ran into a number of estate situations over the years and saw what can sometimes happen to the dearly departed's intentions and hard-earned leftovers if one or more of the kids (often under the influence of their spouse) who are executors/beneficiaries don't play nice and/or are duplicitous.

June 17, 2016
8:51 pm
Norman1
Members

Loonie said

At best, though, this only applies to the "increase", not the actual inheritance. AND, you can contract out of it, which is what I meant about the child needing to be careful to continue to segregate the inheritance.

It only needs to apply to the "increase" of the inheritance because the inheritance is excluded automatically by Ontario family law.

That phase "unless a domestic contract excludes it" does not deal with segregating the inheritance. It means that the inheritance and its increase can be excluded from matrimonial property if the married couple sign a prenup or postnup to that effect.

Further, the whole thing is exempt if received during a marriage, as per the second sentence.

The inheritance itself (not the growth) is automatically exempt if it is received during the marriage, not during any marriage.

An inheritance received during a previous marriage, and any increase, will not be exempt for the current marriage, regardless of any designation in the will, unless the current spouse signs a domestic contract to that effect.

June 17, 2016
10:25 pm
Loonie
Members

Yes, I think we are saying the same thing in different words, Norman.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.