April 2014 rate drops to 1.30% | Simplii Financial | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
April 2014 rate drops to 1.30%
April 24, 2014
8:02 am
Peter
Admin
Forum Posts: 1405
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I just noticed that PC Financial's high interest savings account rate dropped from 1.35% to 1.30%. Also, its TFSA dropped from 1.40% to 1.30%. This conveniently matches Tangerine in a race to the bottom on the chart: https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/chart/

April 25, 2014
12:33 pm
xxxx
Banned
Forum Posts: 338

I have a TFSA at PC Financial - guess it is now earning 1.30% - so perhaps it is time to transfer out. PCF will charge me $50 to transfer my TFSA to another institution. Can anyone tell me if any of the other institutions, which pay a higher interest rate would pick up (or credit me) the $50 fee? Would like to do better than 1.30%. Thanks.

April 25, 2014
2:38 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9245
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

I don't know if any of the institutions that offer a higher rate will credit you the $50.
However, you might, depending on your circumstances, find it worth your while to just take the money out at some point during the year, as a withdrawal, and deposit it at the beginning of 2015 in another institution. That way, you are only making a withdrawal, not a transfer-out. You would have to do the math to see if this is helpful.

April 25, 2014
4:35 pm
James
Members
Forum Posts: 188

Hi Brian,

Some institutions have done this in the past. I know Questrade had an offer recently to do this for accounts (Questrade is an online brokerage account though - not a bank). The best bet is to check with the institution. Even if they don't advertise it, they might offer it to you.

Before you transfer, check out the transfer fee of the institution to which you are transferring - those fees can eat up your money quickly and some of them charge $100 plus!

Good luck.

April 25, 2014
5:17 pm
JustMe
Banned
Forum Posts: 160

You will have to do your own calculation. There are still 8 months to go until next year so calculation has to consider:
1. to take money out, put it into high interest saving account, pay taxes on accrued interest (for 8 months) and on Jan 2, 2015 put money back into higher interest TFSA.
2. to transfer money to another fin. institution which CURRENTLY pays higher interest incurring $50 transfer fee.
3. keep money earning 1.30% tax free interest until next year and then do #1 on Dec. 22.

You will be safe only if you hold GIC in TFSA as interest is fixed. With all other high interest TFSA accounts there is no guarantee 'high interest' will stay even one more day. On Monday we can have 0.1% on high interest TFSA at all other institutions currently offering >1.30%.

BTW, why do you have TFSA at PC Fin when credit unions always pay more?

As for the fee, ask fin. inst. if they are willing to reimburse you. Usually big banks reimburse such fee if you transfer RRSP, but I doubt if such policy is in place for TFSA.

April 25, 2014
6:13 pm
Loonie
Members

JustMe said
BTW, why do you have TFSA at PC Fin when credit unions always pay more?

As for the fee, ask fin. inst. if they are willing to reimburse you. Usually big banks reimburse such fee if you transfer RRSP, but I doubt if such policy is in place for TFSA.

Peoples Trust Bank has been paying the most, not the credit unions, for TFSA savings account, at 3%. Someone else posted that they have been doing this since 2009 when TFSAs were first introduced. They are still doing it today anyway, and for at least a year that I am personally aware of. And they don't charge any transfer-out fees if you want to move it later to another institution (at least as of now they don't charge. I remember when RRSPs were first introduced, and the transfer-out fees just keep going up after the first little while.)

As regards the big banks, they probably would reimburse, but their rates are terrible and they are more likely to charge transfer-out fees when you want to leave later.

CDF (or is it CFD?) has the next best rate to Peoples, at 2.25%, but they have a $50 transfer-out fee too.

Even if you find an institution that has a very good rate and is also willing to pay your fee, it's hard to imagine how you could do better than Peoples Trust, unless you simply don't want to do business with them. While it's true that rates could all go down to .1% tomorrow, it could equally happen to any place you might choose to place your money.

If you have, let's say $32,000 in your TFSA, and you move it to Peoples, you will get almost $650 interest for the remaining 8 months of the year, minus $50 transfer-out fee = about $600. If you leave it where it is, you will get about $280 interest by the end of the year. These calculations assume stable interest rates and monthly compounding. Peoples has been more stable than perhaps any other institution with this product, historically. You can't come anywhere near $600 at any other institution, even if the $50 is refunded.

For the possibility of an extra $320 tax-free dollars, I know what I'd do!sf-smile

April 26, 2014
8:55 am
xxxx
Banned

Thanks for the useful advice. It appears the best route is probably to wait until December and then close the acct at PCF and open a new TFSA elsewhere. Of course, I will only be able to use the cumulative allowable annual contributions amount this way - one cannot redeposit the interest already earned for the last 5 years.

By the way, I am hesitant to use Peoples Trust - they were the only financial institution that had its security compromised recently - that is pretty bad! I have a Savings Acct there and now Equifax will report on any applications I make for new bank accounts and/or credit cards, that my Peoples bank acct was security compromised. Apparently this will be on my record for the next 6 years - even though I did not lose any money at Peoples (so far). Sometimes it is worth taking a bit less in interest for a more security conscious institution.

April 26, 2014
9:06 am
Loonie
Members

I hadn't thought of that angle about not being able to redeposit the interest. I'm not absolutely sure that it's true, but perhaps you have looked into it. If so, it could get to be a big monkey wrench over time. My understanding was that whatever you took out, you could redeposit, but I could be wrong.

I understand your concern about Peoples. On the other hand, your security there has already been breached and the problem with the credit agency already exists, so it wouldn't make it any worse, I don't think, if you used that bank again. It could be argued that once a bank has been hit in this way, it might be more secure in future than one which has not, as they will be more acutely aware of the problem.

April 26, 2014
9:11 am
Loonie
Members

Here is the CRA page on this subject. I must admit I find it confusing, but Example 2 seems to suggest that whatever came out can go back in.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nd.....s-eng.html

FAQ from Sun Life says that the amount you withdraw can be put back in in a future year and does not affect your contribution room:
http://cdn.sunlife.com/static/...../A1912.pdf

Here is another page from CRA which is more explicit:
"You can withdraw funds available in your TFSA at any time for any purpose — and the full amount of withdrawals can be put back into your TFSA in future years. Re-contributing in the same year may result in an over-contribution amount which would be subject to a penalty tax."
http://www.tfsa.gc.ca/tfsapamp.....t-eng.html

So, my conclusion would be that you would be free to recontribute the entire amount that you withdrew, including interest, in 2015.

April 26, 2014
10:11 am
xxxx
Banned

OK - so you are saying that all withdrawals in a year, will be added back to "contribution room" for use in future years. That is good then. (usually CRA is not that generous) - The TFSA just became more attractive to me for some tax-free income and savings..... and in Dec will look to see who is paying the most interest and do the close in Dec 2014 and the open in Jan 2015.
Thanks again.

April 26, 2014
11:31 am
Loonie
Members

Yes, that's what it looks like to me. You have lots of time between now and then to confirm it with them if you want.
Perhaps someone else can comment from personal experience in the interim.

April 26, 2014
2:50 pm
James
Members
Forum Posts: 188

Yes, Loonie is correct. When you make a withdrawal in one year, you can re-contribute that amount in the next year, in addition to depositing your allowable contribution for that year (ie. $5500). There is no limit on this, so if by some miracle, you have $100,000 in your TFSA, you can withdraw it in December of this year, and redeposit it next year with no penalties. If the allowable contribution for next year is $5,500, you could contribute $105,500.

Let me know if this needs more clarification.

April 27, 2014
7:28 am
xxxx
Banned

thanks - sounds good
I will explore if any institution would pick up the $50 transfer out fee assessed by PCF, and if so, then I could go the transfer route during 2014. However, if not, then will wait until December and go the close out route at PCF and open a new TFSA at ???? (to be determined).

April 27, 2014
7:30 am
GS1
Members
Forum Posts: 398

And as another point of clarification, as it currently stands, it doesn't have to be re-contributed "next year". The limit is "lifetime". So, save for downpayment for 5 years, then in year 6 take the money out. Year 10 or 20 you have the room equal to the amount withdrawn in year 6 plus the yearly contribution room amounts for years 6 through year 10 or 20.

People like me (old and retired) simply keep adding the $5000 (or as adjusted by inflation) each year. Younger folks with kids in university or still paying down a mortgage may simply be marking time while their contribution room goes up. When school/mortgage payments are done and/or an inheritance is received, large sums of money will suddenly be available for tax free investing.

Think of it, someone 25 years old today, will have in 30 years at the age of 55, somewhere around $242,500 of contribution room using an inflation factor of 2%.

Greg

April 27, 2014
7:36 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6766

Loonie said

Here is the CRA page on this subject. I must admit I find it confusing, but Example 2 seems to suggest that whatever came out can go back in.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nd.....s-eng.html
Here is another page from CRA which is more explicit:
"You can withdraw funds available in your TFSA at any time for any purpose — and the full amount of withdrawals can be put back into your TFSA in future years. Re-contributing in the same year may result in an over-contribution amount which would be subject to a penalty tax."
http://www.tfsa.gc.ca/tfsapamp.....t-eng.html

So, my conclusion would be that you would be free to recontribute the entire amount that you withdrew, including interest, in 2015.

That is my understanding as well.

It looks like increases to one's TFSA contribution room is only done at the beginning of the calendar year. This is from the first link CRA: Making or replacing withdrawals from a TFSA Loonie mentioned:

Depending on the type of investment held in your TFSA, you can withdraw any amount from the TFSA at any time. Withdrawing funds from your TFSA does not reduce the total amount of contributions you have already made for the year.

So, withdrawals do not offset the reduction in TFSA contribution room from contributions made in the same year. The page continues:

Withdrawals, excluding qualifying transfers and specified distributions, made from your TFSA in the year will only be added back to your TFSA contribution room at the beginning of the following year.

Withdrawals that restore/increase one's TFSA contribution room, which don't include qualifying transfers or specified distributions from one's TFSA's, will do so at the start of the next calendar year.

April 28, 2014
8:32 am
GS1
Members
Forum Posts: 398

I found this link yesterday that may help folks struggling with TFSA rules. Likely most helpful will be this link which is to the TFSA worksheet RC-343.

Greg

May 1, 2014
2:15 pm
HarrisJ4
Members
Forum Posts: 5

Peter said

I just noticed that PC Financial's high interest savings account rate dropped from 1.35% to 1.30%. Also, its TFSA dropped from 1.40% to 1.30%. This conveniently matches Tangerine in a race to the bottom on the chart: https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/chart/

That's a useful chart - thank you for keeping it updated! Do you know anything similar for no fee chequings?

May 1, 2014
7:26 pm
JustMe
Banned
Forum Posts: 160

I believe your credit rating is NOT compromised. PT just advised credit agencies to put a flag on your credit record so companies you ask service/money from will ask for additional identification in order to confirm that you are really you.
I already experienced that when getting cell phone plan; phone company denied providing me with the cell plan on the spot but had live security officer to call me next day and confirm that I am really I and not somebody else.
No problem at all, just slight delay.
And that is good thing as a two years or so ago at my home address I started receiving Rogers cell phone bills for some Chinese guy. So either Rogers did not verify guys address or guy had contacts in Rogers and was already involved in scams with Rogers insider help.
For a year I was receiving notes from Rogers and then collection agencies and then some lawyer to pay the bill. Finally I went to the police and told them to get me these pricks of my back or somebody will go to jail. Name of the person who stole my mailing address was Toby Wong.

May 2, 2014
7:23 am
Peter
Admin
Forum Posts: 1405

HarrisJ4 said

Peter said

That's a useful chart - thank you for keeping it updated! Do you know anything similar for no fee chequings?

We do have a comparison spreadsheet here, although it's much different than the simpler rate chart for savings accounts: https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/free-canadian-chequing-accounts/

May 2, 2014
12:02 pm
HarrisJ4
Members
Forum Posts: 5

Thank you, that's great.

Please write your comments in the forum.