2% from Sept. 1 until Jan. 31, 2013 | Simplii Financial | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
2% from Sept. 1 until Jan. 31, 2013
October 15, 2012
6:35 am
Jgclghrn
Guests

A 2% rate will be earned until Jan. 31, 2013 on the portion of the eligible account’s average daily closing balance that exceeds the closing balance as at Aug. 31 2012 and will be paid in Feb. 2013. I believe this applies to existing customers and is based on the aggregate balance of all the eligible accounts.
sf-smile

October 15, 2012
6:42 am
Jgclghrn
Guests

I forgot to add that you have to visit a kiosk or call in to subscribe to the promotion.

October 16, 2012
8:11 am
Dennis
Guests

Jgclghrn said

A 2% rate will be earned until Jan. 31, 2013 on the portion of the eligible account’s average daily closing balance that exceeds the closing balance as at Aug. 31 2012 and will be paid in Feb. 2013. I believe this applies to existing customers and is based on the aggregate balance of all the eligible accounts.
sf-smile

Thanks, I just called and got it. He said it is for all accounts not just saving account.

October 16, 2012
8:36 am
Super_Chicken
Guests

Dennis said

Jgclghrn said

sf-smile

Thanks, I just called and got it. He said it is for all accounts not just saving account.

I spoke to the rep over the phone. Be careful, and read it carefully. After finally figuring it out how this works. You take a snap shot of your accounts (let's say checkings and savings) on august 31st. If you have $500 in your checkings and $2000 in your savings as your Aug 31st balance than how it works is as follows:

Each day they take another "snapshot" and if you're not above the $500+$2000 Aug snap shot you only earn your regular interest amount for that day. If you have $10000 in your savings and $0 in your checkings you'll only get the 2% on $7500 for that day, the other $2500 will be at your savings account regular interest.

And instead of being calculated daily, paid monthly. This is calculated daily, paid in Feb of next year. so if your August snapshot was like $100 than it's an okay deal. If you unluckily had like $10000 in your checkings that day, then this is a cold deal.

October 16, 2012
12:53 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4230
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Thanks for the clarification. This is indeed how most of these "bonus interest promotions" work and seemed to start several years ago with the "new money promotion" on the former HSBC Direct Savings Accounts (now called HSBC Advance Savings Accounts).

Generally, unless you have existing accounts established with the particular institution, it's not worth the hassle (i.e., credit checks, additional management time required, etc.) opening brand new accounts/memberships (in the case of credit unions) for two to four months of "extra interest".

Cheers,
Doug

Please write your comments in the forum.