Momentum PLUS Savings Promo until December 31, 2022 | Scotiabank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Momentum PLUS Savings Promo until December 31, 2022
June 28, 2022
4:46 pm
co
Members
Forum Posts: 71
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

https://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/personal/bank-accounts/savings-accounts/momentum-plus-savings-account.html

Regular Interest: 0.55%

Premium Period Interest:
1.00% | 360 days
0.95% | 270 days
0.90% | 180 days
0.85% | 90 days

Bonus Interest 1.60% until December 31, 2022 on eligible deposits

Get the Ultimate Package and earn an additional 0.10%

Make sure you click on "See Offer Details" and "click here to enroll in the campaign."

July 1, 2022
8:53 am
AllanB
Banned
Forum Posts: 200

Funny, in the link

"Is this Savings Account right for you?

- May not be right for you if you: Are interested in only opening a savings account that earns interest"

July 1, 2022
11:12 am
canadian.100
Members
Forum Posts: 942

AllanB said
Funny, in the link

"Is this Savings Account right for you?

- May not be right for you if you: Are interested in only opening a savings account that earns interest"  

True - 3% for the 90 day term may be just too much interest for some people.

July 16, 2022
11:49 am
co
Members

As of July 13 2022, the Regular Interest is now 0.85%, making the 90 day period 3.3%.

con6450 said
https://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/personal/bank-accounts/savings-accounts/momentum-plus-savings-account.html

Premium Period Interest:
1.00% | 360 days
0.95% | 270 days
0.90% | 180 days
0.85% | 90 days

July 23, 2022
7:01 am
hwyc
GTA
Members
Forum Posts: 1165

Now up to 4.05% due to regular interest increase

• Regular Interest Rate (1.35%)
  • Limited Time Bonus Interest Rate Offer (1.60%) *
  • Premium Period Interest Rate (1.00%, based on the 360-day premium period chosen)
  • Ultimate Package Interest Rate Boost (0.10%)

* New deposits deposited between March 3, 2022 and December 31, 2022 (the “Offer Period”) into a new or existing Scotiabank MomentumPLUS Savings Account.

... as others have already pointed out, the 90-day premium seems more attractive sf-smile

July 23, 2022
7:34 am
canadian.100
Members

con6450 said
As of July 13 2022, the Regular Interest is now 0.85%, making the 90 day period 3.3%.

con6450 said

Premium Period Interest:
1.00% | 360 days
0.95% | 270 days
0.90% | 180 days
0.85% | 90 days

I find the best period to take is 90 days - you will now get
Regular 1.35% plus Premium 0.85% plus Bonus 1.60% TOTAL 3.80% for 90 days.

July 23, 2022
9:58 am
Jowett
Members
Forum Posts: 30

hwyc said
Now up to 4.05% due to regular interest increase

• Regular Interest Rate (1.35%)
  • Limited Time Bonus Interest Rate Offer (1.60%) *
  • Premium Period Interest Rate (1.00%, based on the 360-day premium period chosen)
  • Ultimate Package Interest Rate Boost (0.10%)

* New deposits deposited between March 3, 2022 and December 31, 2022 (the “Offer Period”) into a new or existing Scotiabank MomentumPLUS Savings Account.

... as others have already pointed out, the 90-day premium seems more attractive sf-smile  

I originated a 90 day deposit in March then cashed it out after the 90 day period expired and temporarily moved it elsewhere. I recently attempted to start another 90 day deposit and was refused the "bonus" part of the interest because the funds were not deemed to be eligible. It took 4 bank tellers and finally the manager to come to this decision.
Scotia Bank's small print on these accounts is quite ambiguous and difficult to interpret even for their employees. I subsequently placed the money elsewhere.

It should be noted also that all four of these interest payments are deposited at four different times of the month into two different accounts. This makes the verifying of these amounts for correctness very difficult especially if money is added during the 90 day period.
Just be sure that you read ALL the fine print on these things before committing funds.

July 23, 2022
10:34 am
hwyc
GTA
Members
Forum Posts: 1165

On 2nd thought … there's less than 180 days left in 2022.

July 23, 2022
11:02 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6766

One can't fool Scotiabank by moving money elsewhere and back.

Combined Balance needs to be higher than Combined Balance as of March 2, 2022 to receive bonus interest. It won't be higher after moving funds elsewhere and back.

‘Combined Balance’ On any particular day, the combined end of day balance of funds held within all Scotiabank Savings Account(s)1 (which includes MomentumPLUS Savings Accounts, Scotia Investment Accounts2 and Scotia Registered Accounts2), of which you are the sole owner or, for joint account(s), the primary owner, but excludes mutual funds, and balances held in chequing accounts.
July 23, 2022
11:15 am
canadian.100
Members

Jowett said

I originated a 90 day deposit in March then cashed it out after the 90 day period expired and temporarily moved it elsewhere. I recently attempted to start another 90 day deposit and was refused the "bonus" part of the interest because the funds were not deemed to be eligible. It took 4 bank tellers and finally the manager to come to this decision.
Scotia Bank's small print on these accounts is quite ambiguous and difficult to interpret even for their employees. I subsequently placed the money elsewhere.

It should be noted also that all four of these interest payments are deposited at four different times of the month into two different accounts. This makes the verifying of these amounts for correctness very difficult especially if money is added during the 90 day period.
Just be sure that you read ALL the fine print on these things before committing funds.  

I have had no problems with previous Momentum Plus promos - the total interest was accurately calculated although it is received at different dates for Regular, Premium and Bonus amounts - just follow the rules - I only go for 90 days - you must commit for the 90 days (or other timeperiods if you prefer) and not withdraw anything until the 90 days are over or you lose the Bonus part.
I think this 3.8% for 90 days is the best deal going right now - and I sure do not have to worry about Scotiabank going under.

July 23, 2022
12:01 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9241
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

Actually, Hubert is the best deal right now for 90 days (3 months), at 3.95%. And if you choose to extend it to six months, you'll average 4.00% at today's rates. The interest all comes in one clean deposit on one day to one account after 3 months and again at six months. You don't have to do anything special to keep it going for the second 3 months and no time wasted discussing this with various employees, no risk of being turned down.

July 23, 2022
12:41 pm
canadian.100
Members

Loonie said
Actually, Hubert is the best deal right now for 90 days (3 months), at 3.95%. And if you choose to extend it to six months, you'll average 4.00% at today's rates. The interest all comes in one clean deposit on one day to one account after 3 months and again at six months. You don't have to do anything special to keep it going for the second 3 months and no time wasted discussing this with various employees, no risk of being turned down.  

Yes of course Hubert sounds better if Scotia turns you down or you need to discuss with various employees. Fortunately, Scotia has not turned me down nor was there any need to speak to various employees, and the interest was accurate. The small difference from 3.8 @Scotia vs 3.95 @Hubert is well worth it from a security point of view, especially if one has a significant balance. I think the security of funds @Scotia is much higher compared to the DGCM guarantee @ Hubert. Hopefully, it is never tested.

July 23, 2022
1:54 pm
Loonie
Members

Your experience with Scotia is obviously quite different from Jowett's and you don't mind making all the detailed calculations to ensure interest is correct in four pockets.

I don't see much risk in Hubert over 3 months. Their one year GICs are cashable at any time if it should prove necessary. In the current global climate, any FI could become vulnerable. Scotia is a small player really.

I have no doubt that the MB gov't would step in if needed, no matter which party were in power. They would have to, for the sake of their political future. Manitobans are much more committed to their CUs than Ontarians from what I hear. Similar in Saskatchewan.

re: Manitoba:
"Credit unions are far and above their nearest competitors when it comes to market share. Forty-three point six per cent of Manitoba consumers and 47 per cent of Manitoba businesses are credit union members. Even more impressive, 34.8 per cent of all consumers and 46 per cent of all small- and medium-sized businesses (SMEs) consider a credit union to be their primary financial institution. Nationally, credit union market share is highest in Manitoba — with the exception of Quebec’s caisse populaire system — and Manitoba’s share has increased by more than any provincial system that held at least a 10 per cent share in 1985."
https://www.cucm.org/press/manitoba-credit-unions-continue-to-lead-the-province-in-market-share#:~:text=Credit%20unions%20are%20far%20and,businesses%20are%20credit%20union%20members.

No government can afford to take such statistics lightly.

July 23, 2022
4:13 pm
canadian.100
Members

Loonie said

Re: Manitoba:
"Credit unions are far and above their nearest competitors when it comes to market share. Forty-three point six per cent of Manitoba consumers and 47 per cent of Manitoba businesses are credit union members. Even more impressive, 34.8 per cent of all consumers and 46 per cent of all small- and medium-sized businesses (SMEs) consider a credit union to be their primary financial institution. Nationally, credit union market share is highest in Manitoba — with the exception of Quebec’s caisse populaire system — and Manitoba’s share has increased by more than any provincial system that held at least a 10 per cent share in 1985."
https://www.cucm.org/press/manitoba-credit-unions-continue-to-lead-the-province-in-market-share#:~:text=Credit%20unions%20are%20far%20and,businesses%20are%20credit%20union%20members.

No government can afford to take such statistics lightly.  

The reference you quote is a Communique dated March 2016 relating to a 2015 CU study. It would be nice to quote something more recent than from 6 / 7 years ago. It is now the end of July 2022.

July 23, 2022
6:56 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3919

MB gov't might, or might not, step in, nobody knows for sure. If I was the gov't and the fund was dry I'd step in for Manitobans (assuming I had the resources to do so) and maybe let the out-of-province crowd twist in the wind for balances over, say, $10k on the basis that provincial credit unions should be local community-based anyways plus those others are not provincial voters so might be very popular to not use Manitoba resident taxes to pay off large balance holding outsiders. But that's me, and as of right now it looks very unlikely that I'll ever be the Premier of Manitoba - probably a good thing for everybody sf-laugh

July 23, 2022
7:12 pm
Loonie
Members

It would always be nice to have up to date info.

A quick search moves us forward about 5 years and reveals this from March 2020:

“More than half of all Manitobans belong to a credit union."
https://www.creditunion.mb.ca/news

If you find anything more recent, please let me know. From where I sit, the place of CUs in the lives of Manitobans seems secure - and politically important.

July 30, 2022
11:17 am
norris2
Members
Forum Posts: 21

I've spent a few hours studying their terms and running a some tests in my account with small amounts, but there's a few scenarios I'm not sure about, or don't have time to wait to find out. Wondering if anyone has first hand experience, otherwise I'll see if I luck out with a knowledgeable agent on the phone.

(Assume all deposits/withdrawals are "new" money coming/going to another bank)

1. Deposit $1,000 on Jul 28 to a 90 day period. Interest was Reg 1.35%, Premium 0.85%, Bonus 1.60%. Then deposit $1,000 to same period on Aug 28. No withdrawals or further deposits made, all interest rate portions remain the same, the date is now Oct 26. According to terms, new money deposited during mid-period also earns the 90-day premium bonus. Is this correct?, as it seems like a trick where you could have multiple 90 day periods going with various end dates, allowing large amounts of money deposited mid-period to earn interest calculated daily at the 3.80% rate, but "locked in" less than 90 days.

2. Deposit $1,000 on Jul 28 to a 90 day period. Interest was Reg 1.35%, Premium 0.85%, Bonus 1.60%. Then deposit $1,000 to same period on Aug 28. Interest rates changed on Aug 27 to Reg 1.85%, Premium 0.95%, Bonus 1.60%. No withdrawals or further deposits made, date is now Oct 26. Terms also say if Premium rate changes, the new deposit "updates" to the new rate. Does that new rate apply to $2,000 or only the $1,000 portion from the 2nd deposit?

3. Deposit $1,000 on Jul 28 to a 90 day period. Interest was Reg 1.35%, Premium 0.85%, Bonus 1.60%. Then withdraw $999 from same period on Aug 28. 90-day period end date updates to Nov 26. Would the $1,000 earn the Bonus 1.60% interest from Jul 28 - Aug 28, or is it forfeited like the Premium interest? If not it seems like a decent enough rate of 2.95%, whether you happen to withdraw money mid-period if a much better rate becomes available, but with the potential to earn 3.80% if the 90 day term is completed with no withdrawals.

4. In the event of having multiple premiums with different end dates, do withdrawals/deposits leaving/coming from another bank somehow screw you out of the bonus under certain scenarios? There was another thread about a TFSA withdrawal messing up bonus interest but there were a few missing details that made it inconclusive.

July 31, 2022
5:58 am
canadian.100
Members

The Momentum Plus works well if you consider that you will not withdraw for the 90 days you commit to. If you respect that term, you will get any increases in the interest rate that occur during the 90 days, and you will get the Premium and Bonus. You can set up several 90 day terms so that if say one 90 day term ends you can withdraw from that pool while leaving the other pools alone until their due date(s).
I have used the Momentum Plus for years when they have the Premium plus Bonus (on top of Regular Rate) - I am satisfied with the present 3.8% for my 90 day term. While I may add funds, I do not withdraw during that term. Perhaps you might be more comfortable with other 90 day terms like EQ, Oaken or Hubert if you find the Momentum too complicated.

July 31, 2022
2:43 pm
co
Members

For people trying to figure out the exact rules or check interests, I started a 90 period on July 5 and on July 31 my "regular interest" entry is 0.07% of the balance I contributed.

August 12, 2022
5:37 am
Ebiv
Members
Forum Posts: 16

As of August 12, 2022,

Regular Interest: 1.35%

Premium Period Interest:
1.10% | 360 days
1.00% | 270 days
0.90% | 180 days
0.85% | 90 days

Bonus Interest 1.70% until December 31, 2022 on eligible deposits

The total interest rate if you select the 90-days period is now 4.00%.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.