1.68% GIC for 388 days Non-redeemable GIC Special @ Scotiabank | Scotiabank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
1.68% GIC for 388 days Non-redeemable GIC Special @ Scotiabank
February 3, 2022
6:06 pm
dentgal
Members
Forum Posts: 206
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Rate Valid until Feb 18th 2022:
388 day Non-Redeemable GIC Special – 1.68% (many clients are choosing this at the moment)

February 3, 2022
6:19 pm
MattS
Members
Forum Posts: 143

388 days.. that way they have your money to the end of the rrsp promotional period ending mar 1st next year… this is exactly why I know longer have any business with the big 5. They are pretty much parasites

February 3, 2022
6:27 pm
MattS
Members
Forum Posts: 143

I must add I have a personal policy of not dealing with the big 5 banks but was lured back by Cibc this yr with the 3.25% offer UNTIL I asked about them honouring their rate in the event of a sudden rate change during the xfer Period that can be up to 3 wks when xfer ing rrsp from another institution. They said sorry of rate changes they will not honour. I’m like what? I initiate based on 3.25, once process is in limbo, I’m charged a xfer fee and then you don’t honour the rate ? What then? I am free to choose the best term they offer at the time.. what a joke. Or pay another fee to xfer out of them… so I was reminded of why in 2005 I promised myself to de bank from the big 5. So to make this post relevant to the current thread, guys don’t walk away , RUN AWAY!! This is nothing more than the silver tongued devil trying to get you to take a bite of the apple. Can you tell I hold a grudge? Yes I do.

February 3, 2022
9:06 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9245

Anyone interested in this offer should ask if this is an annual rate or a rate for the entire term. I think it's likely the latter, which would mean annual rate is less.

I think they are trying to be clever with that "388", pegged to attract those celebrating Chinese New Year or similar.

There are several FIs where you can do better for a one year term., although probably fewer options for RSP.

Don't trust anyone who tells you the transfer will take 3 weeks, especially this time of year. It might, but it also might take significantly longer, and occasionally less.

Please write your comments in the forum.