2020 Tax Slips Info | Page 2 | Oaken Financial | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
2020 Tax Slips Info
March 11, 2021
6:40 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6745
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Loonie said

It's more than curious how a T slip and a Portfolio Statement, mailed respectively on Feb 17 and Feb 25 according to Oaken, both arrived same day.

Check the date on the postmark and the sorting bar code on the back.

Canada Post prints a sorting bar code and date on the back of the envelope, lower left edge, in pink UV-phosphorescent ink.

If one doesn't have a UV lamp, one can try white light and then viewing through a blue filter, like half of one of those red/blue 3D glasses. sf-laugh

March 11, 2021
8:53 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9235

I have neither UV lamp nor blue filters.

These are pre-printed envelopes with the postage code on them when printed. No postmark. I checked two of the three envelopes.

Perhaps someone else can try.

P.S. I do have a thick blue glass serving plate. Would that do?

Why do they have to be so secretive? What's wrong with a postmark?

March 12, 2021
5:58 am
Norman1
Members

The postmark is part of the cancellation. I find that Canada Post usually does not do the cancellation when a postage stamp is not used.

The sorting bar code and date on back of the envelope is visible to the eye. I can see it in daylight. But, the ink is light pink and hard to see. Anything blue and transparent would help see it.

The sorting machines use a UV lamp (blacklight) that makes the ink glow.

March 12, 2021
6:43 am
JenE
Members
Forum Posts: 416

My envelopes have MR10M in pink. Perhaps this mean March 10 but I’m not sure what the last M means. Received yesterday.

March 12, 2021
7:15 am
Norman1
Members

That last letter is the first letter of the postal code of the processing plant that printed the sorting bar code.

'M' is somewhere in the Toronto area.

Wikipedia: Postal codes in Canada has a list and coloured map.

March 12, 2021
8:48 am
mustang
Members
Forum Posts: 214

Received T5 from Home Trust yesterday-- March 11
Unfortunately, I had basically forgotten about this one, and had gone ahead and filed by tax return
Looks like I am about to become familiar with the process of filing an amended return
Arghhh!

March 12, 2021
8:53 am
topgun
Members
Forum Posts: 452

Last year one T5 slip did not arrive until June. I used the amended procedure. It worked well.

Have a Great Day

March 12, 2021
10:51 am
Nehpets
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 978

T5 received here today, March 12.

Stephen

March 12, 2021
10:55 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2852
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

mustang said
Unfortunately, I had basically forgotten about this one, and had gone ahead and filed by tax return
Looks like I am about to become familiar with the process of filing an amended return
Arghhh!  

you can do amendment easily on the CRA site. Much "safer" and efficient then sending them a paper amendment. They are notorious for losing documents sent to them. Last thing you want is your snail mail got lost by them somehow and they start charging you interest penalty on the unpaid tax.
One top, I have to fax twice, and snail mail twice before they finally "acknowledge" they recd the requirement documents and put it on my file. It is just nightmare as every time you send/fax them a document, have to wait upward of 2 months before you can check with them to see if they have recd and added to ur account. And that document is to prove to them that I was in the right on my tax return. Took a total of 12months+ to have it sort out at the end (they did reverse all interest penalty etc but its just not fun going thru all that).

March 12, 2021
3:28 pm
Loonie
Members

mustang said
Arghhh!  

My sympathies. Of course, if Oaken had sent it on time, you might not have had this problem.

March 12, 2021
3:37 pm
Loonie
Members

Norman1 said
That last letter is the first letter of the postal code of the processing plant that printed the sorting bar code.

'M' is somewhere in the Toronto area.

Wikipedia: Postal codes in Canada has a list and coloured map.  

So, to clarify, is it your understanding that JenE's T5 was mailed on March 10?

I am visually impaired and could not see anything in pink. Spouse was able to perceive a bar code but nothing else.
I tried but couldn't see anything through the blue glass plate.

March 12, 2021
6:28 pm
Norman1
Members

The MR10M code means JenE's T5 slip was processed by Canada Post on March 10.

Under normal circumstances, it would have been dropped in a mailbox the day before and processed overnight.

The date would be to the right of the bar codes, 12 cm to 14 cm from the left edge of the envelope. It looks like a digital camera can see that light pink ink better than I can:
DateImg.jpg

March 12, 2021
9:05 pm
mustang
Members
Forum Posts: 214

Loonie said

My sympathies. Of course, if Oaken had sent it on time, you might not have had this problem.  

Well, of course, it's on me for not keeping better records. It was a GIC that matured on Dec 29, and "slipped through the cracks".
Still, as you point out, they should have the damn thing to me sooner.
I'm encouraged by the other's comments that filing the Amendment is not too bad
Looks like I have to wait until I get the official assessment, before I can start that ball rolling

March 13, 2021
2:16 am
Loonie
Members

Norman1 said
The MR10M code means JenE's T5 slip was processed by Canada Post on March 10.

Under normal circumstances, it would have been dropped in a mailbox the day before and processed overnight.

The date would be to the right of the bar codes, 12 cm to 14 cm from the left edge of the envelope. It looks like a digital camera can see that light pink ink better than I can:
DateImg.jpg  

Thanks, Norman. The pink is still invisible to me, but perhaps others can see it.
However one slices it, it's a far cry from 17 Feb - 22 days to be exact.

It's pretty much impossible to believe the fault is with Canada Post since all our other mail is moving at a predictable pace and nobody received their Oaken mail in a timely fashion. either. JenE received hers within two days of mailing as far as we can determine, the only problem being that the mailing wasn't until March 9. Canada Post was doing their job efficiently.

So, not only is Oaken lying, but they are putting the blame for their own incompetence onto Canada Post. The CSR I spoke to was more than ready to do this.

I will bear this unacceptable behaviour in mind in my investment decisions in future. If they are willing to lie and blame others for their own failures, what else might they be willing to lie about?

March 13, 2021
8:48 am
Norman1
Members

We'll just apply some digital distortion to the green channel to increase the contrast between the envelope and the pink ink: sf-laugh
DateImg2.jpg

I suspect there is sloppiness between what their computers say and what is really happening. Oaken's computer system may misleadingly show a date as "Date Mailed" when it is really "Date Printed". I suspect the slips and statements were printed on February 17 and sat somewhere for over three weeks.

I've seen something similar happen with Hudson Bay Company. Something went wrong with one of my orders. I received an e-mail that the order shipped. My credit card was charged. However, over a week passed and the Canada Post tracking number only showed the label printed!

I called HBC. As far as the customer agent could tell, the order was shipped over a week ago. She would submit a request to investigate. I checked Canada Post two days later and, miraculously, the parcel was just received and on its way!

So, that "Date Shipped" in HBC's system is really the date a shipping label and pick list are printed for someone to pack the order. It is just presumed that the order is boxed and goes out the door that day as well. Normally, that would be the case. But, not always!

March 14, 2021
1:19 am
Loonie
Members

I doubt very much that these envelopes just sat around for about 3 weeks waiting to be mailed, but, if they did, it's still Oaken's negligence.

Yes, I can see the image now. Thanks. Will have to ask spouse to try that. I lack the skills.

March 14, 2021
5:08 pm
Loonie
Members

Oaken is now officially blaming the Post Office.
https://oaken.com/oaken-news-and-update/
This would perhaps be more credible if it weren't for the fact that they were also inexplicably slow last year.
I will give them one more year in which to pull up their socks.

March 15, 2021
11:38 am
Alexandra
British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 458

After reading some of these comments, I went to my Oaken file. I too received my t5's for regular GIC's plus my RRIF with them on Friday 12 March 2021. I have done my income tax (paper again) already so I printed off the T5's online. I haven't yet received my portfolio statement for the year.

March 15, 2021
12:47 pm
Dean
Valhalla Mountains, British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 1914

Alexandra said

After reading some of these comments, I went to my Oaken file. I too received my t5's for regular GIC's plus my RRIF with them on Friday 12 March 2021. I have done my income tax (paper again) already so I printed off the T5's online. I haven't yet received my portfolio statement for the year.  

Alexandra,

I can't remember the exact date, but my Oaken 'Annual Portfolio Statement' (dated: Dec. 31, 2020) was available online, sometime in mid February.

Why would yours still be outstanding ❓❗

Dean

sf-cool " Live Long, Healthy ... And Prosper! " sf-cool

March 15, 2021
1:51 pm
Alexandra
British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 458

Dean said

Alexandra,

I can't remember the exact date, but my Oaken 'Annual Portfolio Statement' (dated: Dec. 31, 2020) was available online, sometime in mid February.

Why would yours still be outstanding ❓❗

Dean

Hi Dean, yes my annual portfolio statement is available on line as are my t5's but they also mail originals to me as well. I received the t5's last Friday but not the portfolio statement. Cheers!

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.