GIC 2022 rate change | Meridian Credit Union | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
GIC 2022 rate change
January 29, 2022
5:42 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2865
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Received this in the email yesterday:

Meridian’s rates are changing
- here’s the latest
4 YEAR NON-REDEEMABLE GIC
CURRENT RATE: 2.05%
NEW RATE: 2.60%
AS OF FEB 2, 2022

January 29, 2022
8:19 am
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1108

CURRENT RATE: 2.05%
NEW RATE: 2.60%
That is a huge increase!

January 30, 2022
2:20 pm
MattS
Members
Forum Posts: 142

I know I’m not adding anything here but I view this offer from meridian to be very underwhelming and not remotely tempting. All offerings from meridian and motusbank have been on this track a long time

January 30, 2022
5:59 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6750

Still a bit behind Oaken that is offering 2.65% 4-year GIC's.

Interestingly, Fiscal Agents was offering Meridian 4-year GIC's for 2.6% already on Friday, with a $10,000 minimum!
FiscalAgents.PNG

January 31, 2022
5:00 am
Jim Sherat
Members
Forum Posts: 154

I haven't checked directly with Meridian as yet ... just reading this ... but are these rates, including the 4yr 2.6%, only available through a GIC Broker ?

My wife and I both have 'laddered' GICs with them, so it we can get north of 2.5% is this a good time to pull the trigger on their 'Raise the Rate' provisions for our 3yr and 5yr GICs ?

January 31, 2022
6:20 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

Jim Sherat said
I haven't checked directly with Meridian as yet ... just reading this ... but are these rates, including the 4yr 2.6%, only available through a GIC Broker ?

My wife and I both have 'laddered' GICs with them, so it we can get north of 2.5% is this a good time to pull the trigger on their 'Raise the Rate' provisions for our 3yr and 5yr GICs ?  

Meridan 4y is from their own email, so u can get that rate direct from them, starting Feb2

January 31, 2022
7:49 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9238

Jim Sherat said

I don't think so.
You have 3 and 5 yr GICs. The rate under consideration is only for 4 year GIC. You won't be able to change the term.

Also, it's not clear to me whether the Raise the Roof guarantee refers to "regular" GIC rate hikes or just to Raise the Roof rates. Perhaps you know the answer. The Raise the Roof rate for 3 yr GIC right now is only 1.9 and a regular one is 2.0

January 31, 2022
8:17 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6750

The Raise the Rate GIC product page lists the GIC's one can rate match to:

How many times can I raise the rate on this GIC?
You can rate match and raise your rate once over the term of the 3-year Raise the Rate GIC and twice over the term of the 5-year Raise the Rate GIC.

How do I rate match my rate?
You can match your rate against select GICs with the same term.

For the 3-Year Raise the Rate GIC you can match against the rate for:

• 3-Year Raise the Rate GIC
  • 3-Year Fixed-Rate GIC
  • 3-Year Escalator GIC (effective yield to maturity) for registered products only

For the 5-Year Raise the Rate GIC you can match against the rate for:

• 5-Year Raise the Rate GIC
  • 5-Year Fixed-Rate GIC
  • 5-Year Escalator GIC (effective yield to maturity) for registered products only
February 1, 2022
5:07 am
Jim Sherat
Members

thanks for the feedback and comments ... yeah, it does look like 2.1% is the best I can do for our 5-yr Raise the Rate [or Raise the ROOF, as Lonnie says... love that! :)] GICs at this time.

Now I did move much more significant funds out of our TFSAs into non-registered account the last week of Dec. with intent to move elsewhere in Jan. as Meridian rates were not very competitive any longer. however, I waited given the climate of possible rate increases coming soon.
Now I need to think about the 4yr 2.6% GIC as an option, starting Feb 2nd, rather than go through the hassle of likely having to start dealing with yet another FI, linking more accounts, and moving the funds. We do have EQ TFSAs, so there's that ...

Finally, I've had nothing but positive experiences with Meridian, since they first attracted us, with those series of Promos offering 1% instant cash and 18mo rates exceeding 3.5% I believe it was.
There is a branch a short drive away, and the branch mgr. is very approachable and flexible, having enhanced their normal max for offsetting transfer-out fees from the sending FI as an example. So, I like them and their friendly service, which is worth something on it's own.

February 1, 2022
9:36 am
Loonie
Members

So funny! - I really did think it was called Raise the Roof. I didn't read it very carefully. sf-laugh

Personally, I wouldn't accept the 2.6 for four years right now, but I understand your reasons.
We are all a bit stuck right now waiting for rates to improve and trying to guess how much. Going short means a sacrifice in rates with hope of cashing in later, and rate-hopping is a pain.

February 1, 2022
10:13 am
gicjunkie
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 653

Not to rain on anyone's parade at this point, but we all know that FIs factor in rate changes before they actually occur, and sometimes it's even more than one rate change if the tendency seems pretty definite. The Canadian public and FIs are expecting a few BoC rate increases in short order, so these increases may already have been factored into the current rates at some FIs to the point that we may not be seeing more increases until well after the more iminent actual announcements. What we are now seeing may be what we will be getting for a while at least, so plan accordingly. Let's face it, a BoC overnight rate of .25% doesn't really translate into a 3.00% or more 5 year GIC rate, does it?

Of course, any sudden shift in the economic landscape between now and the eventual then could change everything. Can't say that hasn't happened before.

February 1, 2022
10:58 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

gicjunkie said
Not to rain on anyone's parade at this point, but we all know that FIs factor in rate changes before they actually occur, and sometimes it's even more than one rate change if the tendency seems pretty definite. The Canadian public and FIs are expecting a few BoC rate increases in short order, so these increases may already have been factored into the current rates at some FIs to the point that we may not be seeing more increases until well after the more iminent actual announcements. What we are now seeing may be what we will be getting for a while at least, so plan accordingly. Let's face it, a BoC overnight rate of .25% doesn't really translate into a 3.00% or more 5 year GIC rate, does it?

Of course, any sudden shift in the economic landscape between now and the eventual then could change everything. Can't say that hasn't happened before.  

Agree. If someone expects a lock step increase in GIC rates (from current rates) when the BoC actually starts hiking, they will be sadly disappointed.

Also keep in mind some of these rates are artificially jack up due to RRSP season.

February 2, 2022
3:16 am
Jim Sherat
Members

Bright and early this Wednesday a.m., and the 4yr rate has indeed been changed from 2.05 to 2.60. The 1yr rate also upgraded marginally 1.65 > 1.70.

The 3yr and 5yr rates remain unchanged at 2.00, 2.10, quite possibly due to their "Raise the Roof, er, Rate" default for those years, knowing many, like me, would be all over it, immediately contacting them to do just that. 😉

February 2, 2022
11:46 am
Jim Sherat
Members

error in prior comment ... 1 yr rate remains at 1.65, not 1.70

February 15, 2022
2:31 pm
savemoresaveoften
Members

Meridian new 1y rate 2% starting tomorrow, finally inline with some of the other players out there.

February 15, 2022
4:39 pm
Loonie
Members

savemoresaveoften said
Meridian new 1y rate 2% starting tomorrow, finally inline with some of the other players out there.  

I actually have a particular need for a one year GIC at Meridian, so that will be very welcome. Thx!sf-smile

February 16, 2022
2:35 am
Jim Sherat
Members

Figures .... just as I no sooner pull most of my $$ out, and move to Hubert for their 1yr 2% offering ... at least theirs are fully cashable, so there's that.

I do hope the 1yr and 4yr hikes spread soon to their 3yr and 5yr rates, as I have some of those in our TFSA ladder, which are subject to 'Raise the Rate' upon request. Their 5yr @ 2.10% is near the bottom of the heap, so maybe an increase there in the coming weeks / months? We shall see.

February 16, 2022
7:01 am
Loonie
Members

The 2% one year rate appears to be confirmed on Meridian website.

I find the wording strange.

"2.00% 1 Year GIC *Retail Only
1.65% 1 Year GIC"

What does "retail only" mean in this context?

https://www.meridiancu.ca/personal/rates-and-fees

February 16, 2022
12:18 pm
savemoresaveoften
Members

Loonie said
The 2% one year rate appears to be confirmed on Meridian website.

I find the wording strange.

"2.00% 1 Year GIC *Retail Only
1.65% 1 Year GIC"

What does "retail only" mean in this context?

https://www.meridiancu.ca/personal/rates-and-fees  

retail (u and me and Joe) 2%
business acct 1.65%

February 16, 2022
1:41 pm
Loonie
Members

Oh! I see. thanks. I'd been thinking maybe it was in contrast to deposit brokers (bulk buying) but didn't think they would likely mention that as most people don't really know about them.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.