2020 GIC rates | Page 2 | Meridian Credit Union | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
2020 GIC rates
January 16, 2020
10:17 am
gicjunkie
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 653
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

GR said
While 1 year GICs purchased directly from Meridian are @ 2.25% p.a., you can buy a Meridian 1 year GIC from an agent at 2.53% p.a. (e.g. Fiscal Agents $10k).  

If you are aware of a better rate at a specific FI from a broker, the FI will often match the rate at their branch. I have done this at Meridian and with other CUs.

January 16, 2020
3:09 pm
Briguy
Members
Forum Posts: 716
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Loonie said
Agreed, Koogie.
In my opinion, they seem to be carrying too much overhead and that may be limiting their ability to offer better rates right now. Opening up a useless bank must have cost many millions of (our) dollars. And then they spent over 30 million sponsoring a couple of prominent entertainment venues in Toronto recently.
I can't think of any good excuse for a dysfunctional bank. It clearly wasn't ready to launch and its market is ill-defined.
I can see that the entertainment sponsorships have promotional value if growth is your primary goal, which seems to be the case for Meridian. Unfortunately, their growth is not necessarily mine.
However, like all financial institutions, when they need our money badly enough, they will pay more for it. One has to be patient.  

Kind of reminds me of what has been happening at Laurentian Bank with LBC Digital. They already had LBC Direct. (B2B has been around a long time with institutional investors.) I'm also puzzled why Peoples Trust opened Peoples Bank. Seems to be an unnecessary expense too.

I have a theory that the trend is to open separate digital BANKS, and get away from the current credit union and bank branches setup. This will save a lot of labour expenses and union commitments etc. by opening up new corporations.

January 16, 2020
4:27 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9245
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

Maybe.
On the other hand...
Peoples already had the Bank. they just expanded its sphere.
Meridian is opening branches like a house on fire, and the manager at the one I use, which is less than five years old, says they are going to have to look for larger quarters.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.