DYN6000 CDIC limits per acct type? | Investing | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
DYN6000 CDIC limits per acct type?
March 26, 2023
10:40 pm
NCC1701Z
Lower Mainland
Members
Forum Posts: 136
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Is the CDIC insurance applicable by account type? ie: 100k for a TFSA, 100k for an RRSP 100k for a RRIF etc within my trading account

March 26, 2023
10:45 pm
NorthernRaven
Moderators
Forum Posts: 606
March 26, 2023
10:56 pm
NCC1701Z
Lower Mainland
Members
Forum Posts: 136

But would CDIC consider dyn6000 an separate institution from your brokerage institution?

ie: 100k in my RRSP cash acct at investors edge and 100k in my RRIF held in DYN6000 would both be insured?

March 26, 2023
10:59 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6746

DYN6000 is a Bank of Nova Scotia deposit packaged as a series A brokerage ISA.

DYN6000 itself is always a non-registered deposit and is not a depositary type RRSP, TFSA, or RRIF. So, the separate CDIC coverage via different account types doesn't apply.

There would be separate CDIC coverage because the investment dealer RRSP, TFSA, and RRIF, each holding DYN6000, are different trusts.

March 27, 2023
5:27 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2856

Norman1 said
DYN6000 is a Bank of Nova Scotia deposit packaged as a series A brokerage ISA.

DYN6000 itself is always a non-registered deposit and is not a depositary type RRSP, TFSA, or RRIF. So, the separate CDIC coverage via different account types doesn't apply.

There would be separate CDIC coverage because the investment dealer RRSP, TFSA, and RRIF, each holding DYN6000, are different trusts.  

For registered accounts, its like seperate coverage of $100k but due to account type as Norman said.
For non registered accounts, a combined total of $100k for all those types of accounts.

March 27, 2023
6:13 am
Norman1
Members

The DYN6000 in non-registered accounts at different brokerages could actually have separate CDIC coverages too because they are separate trusts.

Alice's DYN6000 held in a non-registered account at Scotia iTRADE could be held by Scotia Capital Inc. in trust for her. Her DYN6000 held in a non-registered account at BMO InvestorLine could be held by BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc. in trust for her. Different trustees, separate coverage.

March 27, 2023
6:48 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

Norman1 said
The DYN6000 in non-registered accounts at different brokerages could actually have separate CDIC coverages too because they are separate trusts.

Alice's DYN6000 held in a non-registered account at Scotia iTRADE could be held by Scotia Capital Inc. in trust for her. Her DYN6000 held in a non-registered account at BMO InvestorLine could be held by BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc. in trust for her. Different trustees, separate coverage.  

Learn something new. But it depends on how the brokerage "hold" it in trust or not for Alice ? Or is it universally true ?

Not concerned about CDIC coverage for big 5, but good to know.

March 27, 2023
7:22 am
NorthernRaven
Moderators

I think with most brokerage accounts that most Canadians use, it would be pretty difficult to not have your assets "in nominee name" or "in trust" or "in street name" or whatever phrase, rather than directly in your name. For things like stocks and ETFs, that's what lets the brokerage buy/sell (and loan out!) your securities easily. I think it is possible to actually get something directly registered, but it would certainly be a process.

Same with these ISA "deposits", you can assume that they are going to be "in trust", and different accounts at different brokerages are different versions of "you" for CDIC coverage purposes. The benefits of the multiverse without those bothersome hotdog fingers!

Also, a different "you" than "you prime" who might have accounts or GICs in the various registration categories with a bank directly, not "in trust" with a broker.

March 27, 2023
7:35 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

NorthernRaven said
I think with most brokerage accounts that most Canadians use, it would be pretty difficult to not have your assets "in nominee name" or "in trust" or "in street name" or whatever phrase, rather than directly in your name. For things like stocks and ETFs, that's what lets the brokerage buy/sell (and loan out!) your securities easily. I think it is possible to actually get something directly registered, but it would certainly be a process.

Same with these ISA "deposits", you can assume that they are going to be "in trust", and different accounts at different brokerages are different versions of "you" for CDIC coverage purposes. The benefits of the multiverse without those bothersome hotdog fingers!

Also, a different "you" than "you prime" who might have accounts or GICs in the various registration categories with a bank directly, not "in trust" with a broker.  

I think most brokerage accounts will highlight the positions are "segregated" which means they cant touch it such as security lending ? Or thats something else that has nothing to do with "in trust" or not ?

For example, at IB, once you sign up and agree to participate in security lending, they will depost "equivalent" cash amount into your account daily to cover the event the equities u have "vaporized" during sec lending process.

March 27, 2023
8:17 am
NorthernRaven
Moderators

I think that whether or not there is an explicit "lending" program, securities at a brokerage are all going to be held in the same way, in "street name" for you, rather than directly. I think with the big brokerages if you have a margin account they are already potentially lending out "your" shares, although perhaps not with a non-margin account. It sounds like with IB they aren't unless you sign on for that, and they split the proceeds.

This would presumably not be an issue for things like an ISA, or even non-exchange mutual fund units, which would not be lent, although they are still going to be in trust in the brokerage's name.

March 27, 2023
9:26 am
Norman1
Members

savemoresaveoften said

Learn something new. But it depends on how the brokerage "hold" it in trust or not for Alice ? Or is it universally true ?

Yes, it does depend on how the broker has placed the "units":

1. In a nominee's name, in trust for the client or
  2. in the client's name with the broker as an agent for the client.

With #1, the broker also needs to disclose info to the CDIC member about the trust's beneficiary (the client) as required for "in trust" deposits.

March 27, 2023
9:40 am
Norman1
Members

savemoresaveoften said

I think most brokerage accounts will highlight the positions are "segregated" which means they cant touch it such as security lending ? Or thats something else that has nothing to do with "in trust" or not ?

Segregated doesn't necessarily mean held in trust.

New SRO rules allows segregation by in-client-name registration:

4313. Restricted and non‐negotiable securities
(1) Securities that are restricted, non‐negotiable, or that cannot be made fully negotiable solely by signature or guarantee of the Dealer Member are deemed not to be segregated, unless such securities are registered in the name of the client (or name of a person required by the client) on whose behalf they are being held in an acceptable segregation location.

March 27, 2023
9:54 am
NorthernRaven
Moderators

I've never dealt with a "GIC broker" (as opposed to buying GICs directly or through a brokerage account like TDDI). My understanding is that a GIC broker generally deals in "client name" and for CDIC purposes it is the same as if you purchased the GIC directly, as opposed to getting the same GIC through a securities brokerage?

The GIC brokers are presumably typically part of the Registered Deposit Brokers association, rather than the Investment Industry association.

March 27, 2023
10:28 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

NorthernRaven said
I've never dealt with a "GIC broker" (as opposed to buying GICs directly or through a brokerage account like TDDI). My understanding is that a GIC broker generally deals in "client name" and for CDIC purposes it is the same as if you purchased the GIC directly, as opposed to getting the same GIC through a securities brokerage?

The GIC brokers are presumably typically part of the Registered Deposit Brokers association, rather than the Investment Industry association.  

My experience with dealing with 1 GIC broker and 2 diff GIC issuers. Both GICs are registered under my name directly. The broker only act as an agent.

Please write your comments in the forum.