Tax Software for 2022 | Income tax filing | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Tax Software for 2022
January 10, 2023
6:40 pm
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Are the 2022 tax software available now?

January 10, 2023
6:52 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2897

Ufile was available mid-December but there will be updates to most software until about end of January.

January 11, 2023
5:29 am
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1116

TurboTax is available since mid-January. This year, it is hard to find retailer selling CDs with TurboTax, wherever I look it is "download only." For my money, I'd rather have something tangible.

January 11, 2023
9:08 am
Jowett
Members
Forum Posts: 30

Alexandre said
TurboTax is available since mid-January. This year, it is hard to find retailer selling CDs with TurboTax, wherever I look it is "download only." For my money, I'd rather have something tangible.  

Costco was the only place I could find with the Cd included. I picked one up last weekend.

January 11, 2023
9:09 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2885

Alexandre said

except the software update to make it current is still online 🙂

January 11, 2023
3:37 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

Almost no one has CD/DVD drives any more in their equipment. Why would you want a CD cluttering up space?

January 12, 2023
10:25 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

AltaRed said
Almost no one has CD/DVD drives any more in their equipment. Why would you want a CD cluttering up space?  

Exactly. Plus most of the time online updates make whatever is on the CD "old" anyway. Bad for the environment if you ask me.

January 12, 2023
11:02 am
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1116

AltaRed said

I have external CD drive for mini-PC and two desktops with CD drives in them. Old school.sf-smile

Also, I have collection of TurboTax boxes on the shelf, maybe one day they'll fetch good price on Antiques Roadshow. "And the rarest of the rare, set of 2014-2034 TurboTax editions with CD disks, the only three such sets known to exist, goes for..."

Finally, I am paying same money for no-CD and with-CD TurboTax box, I find that unfair and making a (small) point.

FYI: BestBuy sells TurboTax with CD.

January 12, 2023
2:56 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

I suppose but it is yet more materials that had to mined and manufactured adding more burden to our environment that is unnecessary.

Same thing applies to snail mail and paper that did not need to be produced.

February 19, 2023
8:24 am
phrank
Members
Forum Posts: 312

I just saw genutax is now available for the 2022 tax year.

February 19, 2023
9:57 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

Not directly related but I like to look at the statistics each year of the filing method for T1 tax returns per https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/about-canada-revenue-agency-cra/individual-income-tax-return-statistics.html

I don't know if the data includes Final T1 returns that must be filed by paper (about 200+k returns per year) but will assume it does not. The chart at the bottom of the link is interesting as it shows the steady decline in the number of paper returns in the last 5 tax years, about 1 million fewer such returns. Much of the decline potentially from aging taxpayers perhaps.

Will the decline continue at approximately same absolute number (about nothing in 10 years) or will it become more of a second order tail decline to perhaps some terminal rate in 10 years? More probably the latter but it is one of those trivial statistics in life that will continue to amuse me.

February 19, 2023
10:32 am
mechone
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 174

I 've used mytaxexpress for 10 years 13.99 tax in for 10 returns netfile and CRA certified

February 19, 2023
1:58 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3930

I'm guessing almost zero % of people under a certain age file paper, I assume the option will disappear at some point. I'll be the last one, I'll turn out the lights.

February 19, 2023
2:33 pm
savemoresaveoften
Members

mechone said
I 've used mytaxexpress for 10 years 13.99 tax in for 10 returns netfile and CRA certified  

I like mytaxexpress and used it for a long time as it flows similar to an actual tax form. However I don’t believe it will automatically apply for all claims and credits that one may qualify for the major down side.

February 23, 2023
10:54 am
RetirEd
Members
Forum Posts: 1017

Not surprisingly to those familiar with our CHISA crowd, I do paper returns and have researched and executed them myself for decades. I like to learn what's changing and what's behind the way taxes work.

And the CRA site is not something I trust, after several attack alarms and shutdowns, not to mention the risk of political interference or dodgy staffers.
RetirEd

RetirEd

February 23, 2023
11:00 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

RetirEd said
Not surprisingly to those familiar with our CHISA crowd, I do paper returns and have researched and executed them myself for decades. I like to learn what's changing and what's behind the way taxes work.

And the CRA site is not something I trust, after several attack alarms and shutdowns, not to mention the risk of political interference or dodgy staffers.
RetirEd  

Depends on which software you do, you still learn the nuisance of all the tax changes etc, if u watch it carefully. But yes some of the tax software for dummies u just punch it numbers, answer a bunch of questions, and it spits out a return.

For example, Mytaxexpress flows like the paper form, and it summaries changes YoY. The only downside I can see is it wont automatically apply for any credits for you like the tax for dummies will.

February 23, 2023
8:23 pm
RAV4guy
Members
Forum Posts: 43

RetirEd said:
"Not surprisingly to those familiar with our CHISA crowd, I do paper returns and have researched and executed them myself for decades. I like to learn what's changing and what's behind the way taxes work.
RetirEd"

I did, as you still do, for many years and for the same reason. But I changed after the year I calculated my taxes correctly but still got into a problem. I incorrectly completed the T1 that I sent to the CRA. I did not fill in on line 12010 the "Taxable amount of other than eligible dividends" that I had received. I had done my own copy correctly and I had remitted the correct amount of tax. The CRA did a quick assessment of my T1 and sent me a refund. Later they caught their error and asked me to pay back the refund plus interest. I appealed the interest demanded but they pointed out my mistake on the T1 like that was all that mattered. I paid what they asked without taking it any further. I was out the interest cost and the time I spent dealing with the matter.

The software I have used is "TaxFreeway for Mac". I can work with the software like I did with my own spreadsheet tax calculations and see how different choices affect the tax owing. I download the tax software to my computer. I only pay when I want to print or file. I pay on the TaxFreeway website and then get the key to efile and print or create PDF files of the various forms as I want. I have done this twice and do not want to go back to creating my own tax spreadsheet every year. I also like that there is less paper involved and not having to mail the completed return.

February 24, 2023
5:34 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

Creating one’s own spreadsheet every year is a good mental exercise to keep your brain sharp, that’s the only benefit I see.

February 24, 2023
8:49 pm
RetirEd
Members
Forum Posts: 1017

One only has to update, not re-create.
RetirEd

RetirEd

February 25, 2023
6:23 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

RetirEd said
One only has to update, not re-create.
RetirEd  

depends on what gets changed YoY. There can be new credits available, new credits one is now eligible for etc. Not just marginal tax bracket changes which is just updating numbers.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.