T2204A is no where to be found | Page 2 | Income tax filing | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
T2204A is no where to be found
March 26, 2018
3:52 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4230
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

True, Mary, that it depends on the solvency of a DB pension plan. Sears Canada and Nortel Networks retirees, unfortunately, will be/were hurt financially, though not as bad, potentially, as had been expected. An easy fix there, though: move pension plan benficiaries to the "front of the line," ahead of both secured creditors and Canada Revenue Agency. 🙂

Still, they are a "rare breed"; consequently, we need better retirement savings plans and I propose a merging of the TFSA and RRSP into a combined IRA, with no tax deduction but no "18% of previous year's gross income, less pension adjustment, subject to annually adjusted maximum dollar figure"-type thing. It'd be a flat $15-20,000 per year, per person, period. CRA should also be told "hands off; no meddling." 😉

Cheers,
Doug

March 26, 2018
6:41 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6765

Doug said
…Perhaps you're thinking about "unused contribution room"? In this case, I would be using the contribution room, but not the deduction. Consequently, when I withdraw those funds from RSP or RIF, while withholding tax would apply, I would want to get that withholding tax back because I have not used the tax deduction. As far as I can tell, a T756 is required. Perhaps Norman (or maybe Loonie) can add clarity here?

Form T746 is used to get a deduction for withdrawals of RRSP contributions that are excess or overcontributions. That does not apply to RRSP contributions that are not overcontributions.

Contributions that are not excess contributions add to the "RRSP contributions available to deduct" through Line 2 and Line 3 of Schedule 7.

If not immediately deducted, the "contributions available to deduct" end up on Line 18 and carry forward. Any amount on Line 18 from this year will show up on the notice of assessment and be entered on Line 1 of next year's Schedule 7.

March 26, 2018
7:00 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3919

Doug, I can't add anything to what Norman1 said and what I said previously, hope it's clear for you now.

Fyi, when I wrote "I'm a professional in private practice, or a business owner......" it was a hypothetical example, not my own situation, not a reflection of what kind of pension income streams I might actually have.

March 27, 2018
12:12 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

Norman1 said
Form T746 is used to get a deduction for withdrawals of RRSP contributions that are excess or overcontributions. That does not apply to RRSP contributions that are not overcontributions.

Contributions that are not excess contributions add to the "RRSP contributions available to deduct" through Line 2 and Line 3 of Schedule 7.

If not immediately deducted, the "contributions available to deduct" end up on Line 18 and carry forward. Any amount on Line 18 from this year will show up on the notice of assessment and be entered on Line 1 of next year's Schedule 7.  

Thanks, Norman, but that's not what I asked and to which you previously already responded was definitely possible/that I was correct. I'm talking about RRSP contributions you've made but opted not to deduct (i.e., carried forward indefinitely). How are those handled so you get an offsetting credit to prevent double taxation?

Cheers,
Doug

March 27, 2018
12:13 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

Thanks for the clarification, Bill. 🙂

Cheers,
Doug

March 27, 2018
12:21 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9241

Doug, I'm not positive I understand your question correctly, but in case I do...
There is a CRA form, the number and name of which I don't remember, which allows you to establish that a certain amount of money in an RSP was previously tax and never claimed as a deduction. I also don't remember at what point it is utilized.

March 27, 2018
12:27 pm
Bill
Members

Doug, in post #24 you ask a question, in post #25 you say thanks for clarifying. As Norman1 and I were trying to answer the same question I'm not clear.........?

In any event, the answer to your question in post #24 is - just claim them, whenever you decide to claim them, same as you would claim any RRSP deduction. The pile of contributed but previously unclaimed deductions can be used up as you wish whenever you want - if you want to co-ordinate that with when you draw it out as pension income then go for it.

March 28, 2018
8:54 am
Norman1
Members

Doug said

Thanks, Norman, but that's not what I asked and to which you previously already responded was definitely possible/that I was correct. I'm talking about RRSP contributions you've made but opted not to deduct (i.e., carried forward indefinitely). How are those handled so you get an offsetting credit to prevent double taxation?

I was talking about that as well. sf-smile There's no special procedure or form to handle such contributions.

Report the RRSP contributions, as you would have normally, on lines 2 and 3 of Schedule 7 next April. Decide not to claim the deduction for the contributions by putting zero on line 17 of Schedule 7 and line 208 of your return. The undeducted contributions will then appear on line 18 of Schedule 7.

Line 18 will then be carried to line 1 of next year's Schedule 7. If not deduced next year, the undeducted contributions will appear on line 18 of next year's Schedule 7 too!

The line-18-of-this-year-to-line-1-of-next-year motion will go on until the year that you decide to deduct the contributions. Perhaps, that will be the year you withdraw the contribution from the RRSP or the succeeding RRIF.

That year, put the amount of the contributions to deduct on line 17 of Schedule 7 for that year and line 208 of that year's return. That will reduce or even zero what will be on line 18 of Schedule 7 to be carried forward next year.

March 28, 2018
11:07 am
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

Thanks Norman, that's what I was thinking about as one of the options but I think the different responses muddied things a bit and added to the confusion. So, when it comes time to withdraw from my RSP, when I want to withdraw those undeducted contributions, what form would I use to claim the corresponding tax credit (to offset the withholding tax that would've been paid on the undeducted contributions)? That's the only outstanding question.

Basically, undeducted contributions would be withdrawn in the year in which the RSP must converted to a RIF, or before, in a lump-sum (like in a TFSA). Remaining funds previously contributed but deducted would be converted to the RIF. Thankfully, I've got 37 years to figure this out, but thought I'd get a bit of a head start. 🙂

Cheers,
Doug

March 28, 2018
12:44 pm
Bill
Members

Norman1, check out this link, I don't think Doug can do what he's proposing:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/rrsps-related-plans/making-withdrawals/withdrawing-unused-contributions.html

Note it says "If you withdraw the unused contributions, you have to include them as income on your income tax and benefit return. However, you may be able to deduct an amount equal to the withdrawn contributions that you include in your income, if you or your spouse or common-law partner received the unused contributions from an RRSP, a PRPP, an SPP or a RRIF:
•in the year you contributed them
•in the following year
•in the year that you were sent a notice of assessment or notice of reassessment for the year you contributed them, or in the following year".

So, the way I read it, no can do unless it's within a couple of years of the contribution. If no can do, then no T3012A, i.e. the form to get out of tax withholding (Doug says his only remaining question involves how to get out of tax withholding). So any withdrawn amounts will be income that year, there will be tax withholding, he'll claim whatever he wants from his pile of available previously undeducted contributions, he'll get credited for tax already paid via withholding when he files, and that's it. Agree, Norman1?

March 28, 2018
4:50 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

I'm not convinced yet, Bill. The points you referenced don't seem to apply after I looked at them again.

Observe my analysis:

You can deduct the amount if you meet all of the following conditions:

(1) You have not deducted, for any year, the unused contributions that you made to your RRSP, PRPP or SPP, your spouse’s or common-law partner’s RRSP or SPP

(2) You have not designated the withdrawal of the unused RRSP, PRPP or SPP contributions as a qualifying withdrawal to have your PSPA certified

(3) No part of the withdrawn contributions was a lump-sum amount from an RPP, an SPP, a PRPP, or certain DPSP amounts that you transferred directly to an RRSP, an SPP, or a PRPP. For more information, see Transferring In addition, it has to be reasonable for us to consider that at least one of the following applies.

You:
(4) - reasonably expected to be able to fully deduct the RRSP, PRPP or SPP contributions for the year you made the contributions or the immediately preceding year
(5) - did not make the RRSP, PRPP or SPP contributions intending to withdraw them and deduct an offsetting amount

In my hypothetical scenario, and it is just that (I've not got a pile of undeducted RRSP contributions), tests 1 thru 3 pass with flying colours. 4 is a bit "wishy washy," but on the same hand, likely easily proven by the fact that you did not over-contribute at any point in time (at least not over the $2000 threshold and, ideally, not at all). It shows that you had intended to deduct the amounts. 5 is also "wishy washy," but I suspect that Tax Court of Canada would like side with the taxpayer if they met 4 out of 5 "tests," and may slap the CRA for such vague wording, trying to play both sides of the fence. 🙂

Cheers,
Doug

March 28, 2018
5:46 pm
Bill
Members

Doug, I agree, you meet the conditions, no argument there.

But those conditions come AFTER what I quoted in post #30, and that indicates a precondition to even getting to what you quote is it can only be done up to the year after you get your Notice of Assessment re the year the contributions were made.

In other words, this whole process is to allow people to withdraw within a couple of years of making the contribution. If it's not done in that timeframe then the 1st sentence prevails: "If you withdraw the unused contributions, you have to include them as income on your income tax and benefit return."

March 28, 2018
7:06 pm
Norman1
Members

Doug said
Thanks Norman, that's what I was thinking about as one of the options but I think the different responses muddied things a bit and added to the confusion. So, when it comes time to withdraw from my RSP, when I want to withdraw those undeducted contributions, what form would I use to claim the corresponding tax credit (to offset the withholding tax that would've been paid on the undeducted contributions)? That's the only outstanding question.

No special form. There will be the usual T4RSP issued for an RRSP withdrawal. Amount of the withdrawal and the tax withheld will be reported on the slip.

Tax withheld will be in Box 30. Box 30 amount will be added to line 437 "Total income tax deducted (from all information slips)" of the T1 General return. Tax withheld will be refunded if not needed to pay some other income tax owing.

I don't think there is a way to have no tax withheld on the withdrawal. To the financial institution, the withdrawal will be no different from a withdrawal of contributions that have been deducted.

March 28, 2018
7:12 pm
Norman1
Members

Bill said
Norman1, check out this link, I don't think Doug can do what he's proposing:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/rrsps-related-plans/making-withdrawals/withdrawing-unused-contributions.html

Note it says "If you withdraw the unused contributions, you have to include them as income on your income tax and benefit return. However, you may be able to deduct an amount equal to the withdrawn contributions that you include in your income, if you or your spouse or …

I think all that is to get a special deduction when no deduction is possible or when one doesn't wish to wait for contribution room to make a deduction possible.

No deduction is possible when contribution is above contribution room left and no more room is coming in the future.

One doesn't wish to wait when one has overcontributed by more than $2,000 and one doesn't want to pay the 1% per month penalty until addition contribution room is earned.

March 28, 2018
7:25 pm
Bill
Members

I agree, Norman1. An example of where this is allowed is where someone makes their contribution early in the year on the assumption of a certain income that year, then loses their job and ends up not making enough income to support their original contribution amount - there's a year or two to get it back out, to "reverse" their inadvertent overcontribution.

March 29, 2018
7:30 am
Norman1
Members

I think so as well. The procedure with form T3012A or T746 is more to undo a contribution than to withdraw a contribution.

I noticed that the deduction from T3012A or T746 is special as it is entered on line 232 (Other deductions) of the tax return. That is not the same as a regular RRSP contribution deduction which is entered on line 208 (RRSP deduction).

March 29, 2018
9:14 am
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

Norman1 said
I think so as well. The procedure with form T3012A or T746 is more to undo a contribution than to withdraw a contribution.

I noticed that the deduction from T3012A or T746 is special as it is entered on line 232 (Other deductions) of the tax return. That is not the same as a regular RRSP contribution deduction which is entered on line 208 (RRSP deduction).  

We're getting into word semantics here. In this case, "undo" and "withdrawal" are interchangeable because you've still benefited from the tax-sheltered growth from the registered plan, you've just not taken the income tax refund on the contribution. From the reading I was going, it sounds like I was right originally: the T756 will allow you to receive an offsetting credit for the T4RSP income on the withdrawal of contribution(s) not previously deducted. However, you can use a T3012A to apply to the CRA for permission to instruct your FI not to withhold taxes at source. Even if that request is denied or you don't submit that because you don't care about that, it sounds like you still need to attach a T3012A for permission, essentially, to use a T756 that would claim the offsetting tax credit.

It's all dependent on the CRA approving one's request, which further fuels my prior arguments of a people-heavy government bureaucracy full of bureaucratic red tape, inefficiencies, and subjective rulings. That said, due to the vagueness of their guidelines, I would imagine it would be difficult to prove legitimacy in their denials to the Tax Court unless, say, the person was over their $2000 over-contribution threshold all or most of the time (in other words, something egregious like that).

It's leaving a lot to chance, so I won't go that route. Still, I can see why it's there because since you can either declare your RRSP contribution (and take the deduction) in either of the current tax year or the preceding one, in one of those years, you would simply be answering "no" to "did you make an RRSP contribution?" (unless you're allowed to leave the contribution amount blank). It could be easy to forget to take it the next year. Unless I was doing it every year, in which case, it may be denied or I'd be told to take the deduction (I imagine there's an area on a special form that allows you to take the deduction later on if you miss it too) from my available contribution room. Likely, the best chance to getting it approved is to make a large lump-sum contribution in your late 50s or early 60s, "miss" taking the deduction and then 10 years later, applying for that special approval, which would likely be approved. Still, you've only benefited from 10 years tax-free growth, not as good as 30. 🙁

I repeat my call: eliminate RRSPs and combine them and TFSAs into a single Investment Retirement Account ("IRA") like TFSAs that allows tax-free growth and withdrawals, but provides no tax deferral. Make its limit a fixed $20,000, per person, per year. No percentage based on income, subject to annually-increased cap. sf-cool

Such a move would provide the government with an instant $50-60 billion annual "injection" of tax revenue from the eliminated large tax expenditure, though it'd be uncalculated how much lost potential revenue they'd sacrificed on those IRA balances long-term.

Cheers,
Doug

March 29, 2018
5:57 pm
Norman1
Members

Doug said

We're getting into word semantics here. In this case, "undo" and "withdrawal" are interchangeable because you've still benefited from the tax-sheltered growth from the registered plan, you've just not taken the income tax refund on the contribution.…

They are not interchangeable. There is a subtle difference between them. An RRSP withdrawal may be done any time. From the CRA page Bill mentioned, "undo" of contributions is only allowed in four time windows:

• 1 in the year you contributed them
  • 2 in the following year
  • 3 in the year that you were sent a notice of assessment or notice of reassessment for the year you contributed them, or 4 in the following year

I don't know if the Tax Court would be sympathetic. The judge may ask why the matter is even before the court. The "undo" seems to be not needed for contributions within one's contribution room. The "undo" also seems to be not allowed outside those time windows.

… Still, I can see why it's there because since you can either declare your RRSP contribution (and take the deduction) in either of the current tax year or the preceding one, in one of those years, you would simply be answering "no" to "did you make an RRSP contribution?" (unless you're allowed to leave the contribution amount blank). It could be easy to forget to take it the next year. Unless I was doing it every year, in which case, it may be denied or I'd be told to take the deduction (I imagine there's an area on a special form that allows you to take the deduction later on if you miss it too) from my available contribution room. …

I don't think one can do that. RRSP contributions need to be reported in the very next tax return. Schedule 7 needs to be completed each year there are contributions that have not been deducted, even when no new RRSP contributions have been made.

I just had a closer look at Schedule 7. Perhaps, there is confusion from the inaccurate instructions for line 17. That text should read "Enter the amount from line 10 or line 16, whichever is less, or an amount that is less than both amounts." sf-laugh

March 30, 2018
5:43 am
Bill
Members

Norman1, if you're not claiming all that's available to you line 15 will be zero or the lesser amount you're claiming for that year. The wording of Schedule 7 is correct as is.

You are correct, the Tax Court will deny the appeal. Luckily for us most TC judges, at least as of today, are still assiduous re the specific meaning of words, within context of course. When you read legislation a lot you understand that wording was intentionally selected as well as omitted, though there are always some errors of course. Note, though, that CRA webpage wording provided by civil servants will not carry the day, it will depend on the wording of the legislation enacted by our democratically elected representatives, and I admit I haven't reviewed that in our discussion here.

March 30, 2018
7:16 am
Norman1
Members

Bill said
Norman1, if you're not claiming all that's available to you line 15 will be zero or the lesser amount you're claiming for that year. The wording of Schedule 7 is correct as is. …

Ah, that explains what StudioTax does!

Double clicking on line 17 didn't do anything. Went to back to the main return and double clicked on line 208 (RRSP Deduction). A dialog box popped up. I unchecked "Maximize the RRSP claim" and was able to change the RRSP deduction claimed. That, in turn, updated lines 15 and 17 on Schedule 7.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.