Studiotax 2021 Tax Return | Income tax filing | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Studiotax 2021 Tax Return
December 12, 2021
4:51 pm
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Can we still use Windows 7 to do our 2021 tax return on Studiotax? (I have Windows 10 on another computer but don't like Windows 10.)

December 13, 2021
10:22 am
Dean
Valhalla Mountains, British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 1914

Unfortunately Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 7 almost two years ago, way back in Jan. of '20. To continue to use an old unsupported OS, is a form of Russian Rolette.

At first, I didn't like Windows 10 either ... it took me well over a week to get used to it. Now I'm just fine with it, and wouldn't want to go back to 7.

Dean

sf-cool " Live Long, Healthy ... And Prosper! " sf-cool

December 13, 2021
11:22 am
pooreva
Banned
Forum Posts: 440

It does not matter that MS stopped support Win 7 or not. If programs are designed in such a way not to check win version everything will run properly forever.
Some programs are obviously developed (compiled) in a way to use Win 10 libraries or whatever so yes, they will not run on Win 7; like TurboTax 2020 and later (most likely).

What bothers you with Win 10? I see no difference between 7 and 10.

December 13, 2021
1:13 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2879
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

There are some known problems with StudioTax printing on Win 7 and 8 computers per https://www.studiotax.com/downloadwindows.html There is apparently a fix though. I have not seen anything regarding StudioTax for 2021 yet though.

I use StudioTax for 'what if' analysis, but use UFile for my tax software (the PC download version, not the Online version).

December 13, 2021
1:38 pm
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2873

COIN said
Can we still use Windows 7 to do our 2021 tax return on Studiotax? (I have Windows 10 on another computer but don't like Windows 10.)  

you can setup windows10 as a traditional desktop and not use the tile at all.
I migrated to win10 from 8 when it first came out as my then new PC includes it, never use the tile layout at all.
Now on Win11 and still use my trusty traditional desktop look.
Win10 boots up 10-50x faster than win7 or 8 esp on cold boot, whether its SSD or HDD. That seals the deal for me.

December 13, 2021
5:11 pm
COIN
Members

Windows 7 is the "devil I know". Windows 10 is the "devil I don't know". Anyway, I guess when you like something, why change, eh?

I did install Windows 10 on a standalone desktop computer but don't have the time to use it much to gain experience. I also suspect Windows 10 might need a more powerful computer than a dual core. Maybe I should install it on my i5?

December 13, 2021
5:26 pm
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1107

COIN said
I also suspect Windows 10 might need a more powerful computer than a dual core. Maybe I should install it on my i5?  

SSD drive and 4 gigabytes RAM is all one need to have pleasant experience with Windows 10. My 10 and 14 years old desktops, upgraded with SSD drives, is proof of that.
This 14 years old desktop I use daily, with Windows 10 running it, still has original "Windows Vista" and "Intel Core 2" stickers on it.

December 13, 2021
6:39 pm
COIN
Members

Alexandre said

SSD drive and 4 gigabytes RAM is all one need to have pleasant experience with Windows 10. My 10 and 14 years old desktops, upgraded with SSD drives, is proof of that.
This 14 years old desktop I use daily, with Windows 10 running it, still has original "Windows Vista" and "Intel Core 2" stickers on it.  

So, solid state drive does the trick. I assume SSD means solid state drive.

December 14, 2021
10:54 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2873

COIN said
Windows 7 is the "devil I know". Windows 10 is the "devil I don't know". Anyway, I guess when you like something, why change, eh?

I did install Windows 10 on a standalone desktop computer but don't have the time to use it much to gain experience. I also suspect Windows 10 might need a more powerful computer than a dual core. Maybe I should install it on my i5?  

I was on a 3rd gen i5 and had windows 10 on it since 2015 when it first came out.
Was on a HDD back then and its already leap years faster than win8 on bootup.
Migrated to a SDD (everything else on the same) and its even better.
Currently running win11 on the 10th gen i5. I dont see any big diff win10 vs win11. win11 a bit cleaner, but so new that silly/ phantom bugs are expected.

4gb ram is the bare min and I wont recommend it at all. Ram are so cheap these days, 8gb min in my mind. Both my old 3rd gen i5 and now 10th gen i5 are 12 and 16gb respectively.

December 14, 2021
12:04 pm
COIN
Members

savemoresaveoften said

I was on a 3rd gen i5 and had windows 10 on it since 2015 when it first came out.
Was on a HDD back then and its already leap years faster than win8 on bootup.
Migrated to a SDD (everything else on the same) and its even better.
Currently running win11 on the 10th gen i5. I dont see any big diff win10 vs win11. win11 a bit cleaner, but so new that silly/ phantom bugs are expected.

4gb ram is the bare min and I wont recommend it at all. Ram are so cheap these days, 8gb min in my mind. Both my old 3rd gen i5 and now 10th gen i5 are 12 and 16gb respectively.  

I have a 7th generation i5 and a 4th generation i5. Our company gives to employees as new desktops are rolled out. The only problem is that company geeks removed the internal HD for security reasons. So, I have desktops that can't currently operate because no HD.

December 14, 2021
1:00 pm
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1107

savemoresaveoften said
4gb ram is the bare min and I wont recommend it at all. Ram are so cheap these days, 8gb min in my mind.   

An older motherboard may be limited by 4GB RAM, if upgrading old computer one should check documentation.
Besides, in my personal experience, 4GB for Win10 64bit is plenty.

On the other hand, SSD is a must for old desktop or laptop.

December 14, 2021
3:09 pm
pooreva
Banned

Alexandre said
On the other hand, SSD is a must for old desktop or laptop.  

That is absolutely true! 🙂

I have custom build desktop running Intel E8400 overclocked to 4GHz. Computer power is decent but I/O is like molasses; so annoyingly slow I use it as repository as it has all external backup drives attached.
Little laptop I use daily has Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.50 GHz with SSD and it is speed demon comparing to desktop. Even CPU processing is faster (music, video conversion) than once powerful desktop... No point to add SSD to desktop as laptop uses less power, is portable, etc. But I might be wrong!? I do have one 256GB NAND SSD laying around (similar shape as memory sticks not shape as 'real' drive) but do not know if there exists 'connector' I can stick it into and connect to SATA line. Then desktop will get another lease on life...

BTW, if anybody knows one and/or is a BIOS expert, I have nice Lenovo Yoga laptop but BIOS is admin locked, password forgotten and it is basically useless as I cannot install OS I want. So if you know how to unlock it or know somebody who knows how, let me know...

December 14, 2021
4:13 pm
Bobbyjet11
Members
Forum Posts: 67

pooreva said

BTW, if anybody knows one and/or is a BIOS expert, I have nice Lenovo Yoga laptop but BIOS is admin locked, password forgotten and it is basically useless as I cannot install OS I want. So if you know how to unlock it or know somebody who knows how, let me know...  

Have you tried removing battery and letting it sit for a while before replacing?

December 14, 2021
4:27 pm
pooreva
Banned

Bobbyjet11 said

Have you tried removing battery and letting it sit for a while before replacing?  

Oh yes... I tried all kind of tricks, nothing works. Pass is stored in lets call it eeprom and no power does not reset it.

January 27, 2022
5:29 pm
COIN
Members

COIN said

Yes.

"StudioTax is compatible with the following Windows versions: 7*, 8*, 8.1*, 10 and 11." Maybe not for the Quebec return.

Please write your comments in the forum.