StudioTax 2019 | Page 2 | Income tax filing | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
StudioTax 2019
February 18, 2020
4:07 pm
Oscar
Members
Forum Posts: 283
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hmm said

That's hard to say knowing how fragmented CRA's thinking is. As long as the security protocols are in place with your browser, I think Win 7 users should be fine. There's always Linux though where you create a bootable Linux CD and do everything from there.

As far as upgrading to Win 10, don't do it. The latest info from MS is they're advising people against it. They recommend you buy a new PC or laptop instead. Too many people have had issues like poor performance and sluggishness after upgrading despite their hardware being technically compatible.  

How would you be able to use the tax software in Linux ? As far as I can tell the software available is only for Mac or Windoze.

February 18, 2020
6:43 pm
andied20
Members
Forum Posts: 22

I have a laptop from 2013 that came with Windows 7 and I quickly moved to Windows 8 and then 8.1 and then 10 - never had anything other than very minor issues. I also have a laptop from 2007 that works reasonably well with Windows 10 (better than any Linux version I have tried).

As far as tax software for Linux, you are probably limited to online software.

February 18, 2020
7:39 pm
GICinvestor
Members
Forum Posts: 670

andied20 said
I have a laptop from 2013 that came with Windows 7 and I quickly moved to Windows 8 and then 8.1 and then 10 - never had anything other than very minor issues. I also have a laptop from 2007 that works reasonably well with Windows 10 (better than any Linux version I have tried).

You are so lucky. What brand of laptop. We had 2 HPs and between Windows 10 and HP not upgrading made it, Windows 10, a nightmare. I could google the issue and see so many other HP owners with same issue, but no fix from HP. I bought a second iMac and 90% of the freezing, updates, and etc disappeared! I can’t believe I worked for company that had 1000’s of PCs. A huge payroll loss. I loved MSDOS and Windows 7. I sold both of our HPs and put them back to out of box condition with Windows 7.....I just couldn’t sell them with Windows 10. Previous to HP we had Toshiba and they were fantastic, but are no longer available. The old Apple commercials rubbing their hands because of Windows 10, was so bang on!

February 18, 2020
8:12 pm
andied20
Members
Forum Posts: 22

I have an ASUS K53 (I3-2350) and a Dell Vostro 1500. I suppose I have been lucky as I read various computer forums and all the frustrations with Windows. Many years ago I had a computer buddy and we assembled our own computers and had almost identical setups. We had the same case, ram modules, hard drive, cpu, motherboard, etc. I think the only difference was the sound card, and he would call me regularly to inquire if I had this issue or that issue, and invariably I had not experienced his issue.

February 18, 2020
8:38 pm
Oscar
Members

andied20 said

I have a laptop same age that came with Windows 8 and I absolutely hated it . Replaced the hard drive and installed Windows 7 . Was glad to be back in the stone age. Later on I put the original drive back in and reinstalled Windows 8 without the factory bloatware and installed Linux alongside it so I could choose to run either one and it was so obvious how inept Windows 8 was in comparison to either Linux or Windows 7. I rarely use Windows and only keep it for situations such as this where some software isn't made for Linux.
As for Studio Tax , it seems to be the only one that you can get with no strings attached and that you can do on your hard drive . Like Linux. For now.

February 20, 2020
2:03 am
Hmm
Members
Forum Posts: 106

GICinvestor said

It is your right to have an opinion and to share it. But it looks like a lot of us don’t really care.

And I donate to Studio Tax every year!!  

And a lot of people have no issues with gouging at the pumps by big oil and high rates/plans by cellular providers in Canada. Many Canadians support Trump too. That's their opinion. The world is a bizarre place and it's getting more bizarre each day sf-wink

February 20, 2020
2:07 am
Hmm
Members
Forum Posts: 106

Oscar said

How would you be able to use the tax software in Linux ? As far as I can tell the software available is only for Mac or Windoze.  

Looks like you can't. I spoke too soon. I assumed you could run a tax program on Linux, but no. Instead the trend is to do your taxes and a puny 5+ inch screen on your smartphone. However, I will switch to Linux (probably) as I am relatively satisfied with my Windows 7 system I built in 2013.

The only other option is to do your taxes online via your browser and then manually transfer the information to a hard copy and send your tax return in by mail or bite the bullet and pay for online filing fee.

February 20, 2020
9:39 am
Oscar
Members

Hmm said

Looks like you can't. I spoke too soon. I assumed you could run a tax program on Linux, but no. Instead the trend is to do your taxes and a puny 5+ inch screen on your smartphone. However, I will switch to Linux (probably) as I am relatively satisfied with my Windows 7 system I built in 2013.

The only other option is to do your taxes online via your browser and then manually transfer the information to a hard copy and send your tax return in by mail or bite the bullet and pay for online filing fee.  

There is a way. There is a program called Wine that allows you to run Windows inside Linux so it can be done. I think people use it mainly to play video games since they are designed for Windows mainly but you can run any Windows program in it.
I still use the paper return. I hear you laughing. I used Ufile about 10 years ago and I made sure I did it right by confirming with the paper return. Then I printed it off and mailed it in. Dinosaur style.
I may try studio tax this year so I can have a digital copy but will still be mailing in a paper handmade return or they won't send me one next year.
As for using a smartphone to do your taxes, I just don't see the logic unless it's all you have. People have big screen tv's and watch movies on their phones too.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.