StudioTax 2018 | Income tax filing | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
StudioTax 2018
December 26, 2018
10:44 am
rhvic
Victoria, BC
Members
Forum Posts: 467
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I note that StudioTax for 2018 is now available for download.

That said, I did download the Mac version, but it will not verify and unpack. Anyone else tried this yet? I am running Mac OS 10.11.

December 26, 2018
2:40 pm
Retep
Members
Forum Posts: 80

rhvic said
I note that StudioTax for 2018 is now available for download.

That said, I did download the Mac version, but it will not verify and unpack. Anyone else tried this yet? I am running Mac OS 10.11.  

Just down loaded. I am on 10.13.6 and all is well.

It is a worth while effort to turn on ALERTS on your Credit Cards and Bank/Credit Union Accounts.

December 29, 2018
1:11 pm
rhvic
Victoria, BC
Members
Forum Posts: 467

OK, I downloaded it again and got the software to load properly now, looks great.

All ready to pay more taxes to the government!

April 29, 2019
7:37 am
traveling_ING
Members
Forum Posts: 12

Has anyone found a way of attaching a note to CRA? I need to explain a few things. With a paper return its so easy. Can't find any place in this program to attach a note!

April 29, 2019
8:27 am
Yatti420
Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 413

traveling_ING said
Has anyone found a way of attaching a note to CRA? I need to explain a few things. With a paper return its so easy. Can't find any place in this program to attach a note!  

Mail it in or use the descriptor fields so you can keep track (not sure CRA sees those) so just make sure you understand whats going on incase you ever do get audited right..

I've always used Studio Tax.. Works great and even got me Justins' carbon credit thing.... Can't leave him any $$$ to play with.. Whatever people don't claim he will use for his own carbon shenanigans right.. Or is it impossible to not get the carbon credit thing? Thats my question 😉

April 29, 2019
9:05 am
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4223

Most of the descriptions, I believe, I don't think they see. Some income tax filing software provide you a copy of the NETFILE/EFILE record that gets sent to CRA, but since I've been using SimpleTax for inclusive of the past four (4) years, I haven't had that. I think Ufile and GenuTax gave you access to that, but not 100% sure.

I believe CRA My Account gives you the ability to attach correspondence, in PDF format, so you could try submitting some correspondence that way after you file and state that it's related to your tax year income tax return?

Worse case, if they question it, they'll do a pre-assessment review, which is not a formal audit, I believe. My sister had one of those one time when she, unknowingly, claimed interest on a "student line of credit" that she shared with my parents not realizing she could only claim her federal and provincial student loan interest. (In my personal view, banks and credit unions should not be allowed to market these products with the words "student line of credit" or "student loan" in them as it's misleading and a lot of people make this mistake.) CRA was very nice about it and even found her some past textbook credits or something that my dad and I had apparently missed.

Cheers,
Doug

April 29, 2019
10:13 am
GICinvestor
Members
Forum Posts: 670

I believe CRA My Account gives you the ability to attach correspondence, in PDF format, so you could try submitting some correspondence that way after you file and state that it's related to your tax year income tax return?

Yes, correct. I had to provide extra information a couple of years ago and I created PDF copies and uploaded through “My Account”. Don’t remember if the request had a case number to tie it all together though.

traveling_ING, did you try to Google the process?

April 29, 2019
10:16 am
GICinvestor
Members
Forum Posts: 670

Would this help?

April 29, 2019
10:29 am
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4223

GICinvestor said
Would this help?  

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. I didn't link to it specifically as it was fairly accessible on the CRA's website and didn't think the poster would have problems finding it. 🙂

Cheers,
Doug

Please write your comments in the forum.