StudioTax 2017 released for PC | Income tax filing | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
StudioTax 2017 released for PC
December 17, 2017
3:13 pm
phrank
Members
Forum Posts: 303
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi Everyone, thought some might be interested in knowing I just saw StudioTax 2017 has been released.

http://www.studiotax.com/en/

December 17, 2017
7:03 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9212

taxtips.ca has a version which functions as a planning tool for those who are still considering last minute manoeuvres to offset taxes. It seems to lack a box for federal political contributions, and it assumes you have already done certain calculations (e.g. added up interest expected, business income and expenses, medical expenses, charitable contributions etc.. And it is NOT for the purpose of submitting returns.
I have found it useful. You don't have to sign in or up or anything like that.

December 17, 2017
9:35 pm
phrank
Members

Taxtips is a very useful site. I often use it for planning and learning about various things. Good advice to check them out Loonie!

December 17, 2017
10:03 pm
Yatti420
Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 412

I use studiotax.. Thanks!

December 18, 2017
11:25 am
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4201

I will again be using Simple Tax - it is extremely user friendly, offers an excellent multi-platform web-based interface that is especially friendly for mobile devices (though it's equally excellent for desktop PCs, of which I prefer). It is offered on a donation basis, though you can choose to be unfairly cheap and not donate anything. If your annual household income is more than $25,000, you should donate something. For a household of three income tax filers, we typically donate about $20 total, or roughly the same we would've paid for Ufile except without Ufile's 4 income tax return filing limit (even if they offer an extra "4 bonus returns" in most years). sf-cool

Highly recommend it! 🙂

On the Web: http://www.simpletax.ca/

Also offers a basic personal income tax estimator/calculator that's among the best, though TaxTips.ca offers a more advanced one for other types of credits and deductions.

Cheers,
Doug

December 18, 2017
1:01 pm
toto
Members
Forum Posts: 305

I use simple tax too. So easy to navigate thru the forms.

December 18, 2017
1:32 pm
phrank
Members

Simpletax does look good, but I will stick with a downloadable program which allows you can securely control your data.

I know Simpletax says they encrypt and only you can decrypt, but even if that holds true, the fact is you're storing your extremely sensitive data with a 3rd party.

You'll have to excuse my way of thinking. I'm not part of the app generation, so I don't so easily give up the control of my information. I still use maps printed on paper, lol! sf-laugh

December 18, 2017
3:02 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2785
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

No fear. Even those of us with information extensively in the cloud, I wouldn't permit my tax information/returns to reside on a third party website either. Has to be on my PC and on backup drive and in the cloud.

December 18, 2017
5:52 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

voodoo22 said
Simpletax does look good, but I will stick with a downloadable program which allows you can securely control your data.

I know Simpletax says they encrypt and only you can decrypt, but even if that holds true, the fact is you're storing your extremely sensitive data with a 3rd party.

You'll have to excuse my way of thinking. I'm not part of the app generation, so I don't so easily give up the control of my information. I still use maps printed on paper, lol! sf-laugh  

AltaRed said
No fear. Even those of us with information extensively in the cloud, I wouldn't permit my tax information/returns to reside on a third party website either. Has to be on my PC and on backup drive and in the cloud.  

It might surprise you that I prefer to read printed newspapers, magazines and books. And, like you, I had concerns with data security but, the more I thought about it, they're using bank-level encryption so if I can trust my bank with online banking, that should alleviate my concerns over data security. And, I think you can "delete" your previous tax returns that are saved in your SimpleTax account, if you wish, once you've filed them electronically and, hopefully, saved a PDF copy of your tax return. 🙂

StudioTax is fairly decent, though I found it a bit "glitchy" when I tried it a few years ago, sort of like GenuTax, which I opted to use that year.

My favourite tax return software was still TaxWiz until it was bought my Intuit and turned into QuickTax Basic and then TurboTax Basic.

TurboTax also has a desktop version called TurboTax Free Forms that is very similar to SimpleTax that you might like and it is free. If I didn't use SimpleTax, that'd be my choice. 🙂

I wonder if Thomson Reuters is regretting the timing of their purchase of Dr Tax Software (i.e., Ufile)? 😉

Cheers,
Doug

December 19, 2017
5:28 pm
SavingIsGood
Banned
Forum Posts: 215

Been using QuickTax, now TurboTax for years and years and have no intention of changing it.

December 19, 2017
5:43 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

SavingIsGood said
Been using QuickTax, now TurboTax for years and years and have no intention of changing it.  

I agree, it's a good piece of software; it's too bad they just didn't lower the price or give people unlimited returns for all income levels and tax types. 🙂

We used to use QuickTax before opting for TaxWiz when Intuit raised the prices. We loved TaxWiz until it was turned into QuickTax Basic when Intuit bought it too and removed the ability to have RRSP deductions. We liked Ufile as a decent alternative (we don't like to pay more than $20-25 for at least 6-8 returns of all income levels) until they kept lowering the number of returns to 4 so I switched to GenuTax for one year. It was OK but a bit "clunky" and had a few bugs I didn't like. Been using SimpleTax for several years now. sf-cool

The federal government should give us a tax deduction of up to $40 that is a straight refundable tax credit from our taxable income because, frankly, that portion of our earned income that pays for tax filing software should be fully tax exempt. Either that or adopt the Norway model whereby CRA prepares our tax returns for us, provides any refunds or tells us what we owe and determines benefit eligibility. sf-cool

Cheers,
Doug

December 19, 2017
7:45 pm
Jon
Members
Forum Posts: 413

Doug, the government pretty much know how much tax we need to pay, along with benefit that we are entitle to, is just that the tax filing industry have some friends in the government by giving out political contribution.

December 20, 2017
10:57 am
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

Jon said
Doug, the government pretty much know how much tax we need to pay, along with benefit that we are entitle to, is just that the tax filing industry have some friends in the government by giving out political contribution.  

Exactly! That's probably largely it...we could easily implement the Norway model and save countless hundreds of millions of dollars on tax auditors, both in the employ of government or for a myriad of public accounting firms. 😉

Cheers,
Doug

Please write your comments in the forum.