Pre-Certified Studio Tax 2015 | Income tax filing | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Pre-Certified Studio Tax 2015
December 22, 2015
4:32 pm
frizun
Members
Forum Posts: 81
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

The pre-certified version of studio tax 2015 is available.

http://www.studiotax.com/

December 22, 2015
9:55 pm
Rick
Members
Forum Posts: 1110

Have been using U-File for the last decade. Never heard of Studio Tax, but like the price. Do you have any personal experience with it?

December 23, 2015
4:05 am
Keith1
Members
Forum Posts: 24

I have been using Studio Tax since 2010. Very good software, easy to use and you do not need extensive knowledge of the tax act. It is free, I believe, for up to 20 personal returns.

December 23, 2015
10:33 am
Ed
Members
Forum Posts: 129

Unfortunately, Studio Tax is not an online application. As for the price, H&R Block is also free. Don't understand why in 2016 taxpayers are still not allowed to tax-file online directly to the CRA.

December 23, 2015
12:19 pm
kanaka
Members
Forum Posts: 1232

Ed said

Unfortunately, Studio Tax is not an online application. As for the price, H&R Block is also free. Don't understand why in 2016 taxpayers are still not allowed to tax-file online directly to the CRA.

Trudeau is supposed to be looking into CRA reform, is he not? CRA knows every thing when T slips are submitted....as long as they are done on time. It would just make more sense to submit the non T slip stuff and request income splitting etc and be over with it. Perhaps it could be graduated by starting with the simple tax reporting. :o

I can remember struggling with the manual forms trying to remember what I did last year and apply the changes. Just imagine how much Turbo Tax makes every year at 20 or 30 dollars per purchase. But worth it in my mind if it truly is efficient.

December 23, 2015
6:37 pm
Rick
Members

Ed said

Ed...not sure what you mean when you say it's not an on-line application.

December 24, 2015
1:23 pm
Ed
Members
Forum Posts: 129

Rick... Studio Tax provides a free software package that needs to be downloaded onto a Windows or Mac computer hard disk where it is stored. I prefer to access the certified tax provider's internet site using a web browser (Google Chrome) on an Android tablet or smartphone, much the same way as we do our online banking. My beef however is why can't I access the CRA site directly to tax-file, instead of passing through a third party!?!?!?

December 25, 2015
1:37 pm
Dennis
Members
Forum Posts: 84

I just tried it out and decided to switch (from Torbotax). I still think Torbotax has a little better user interface but it is almost good as Torbotax and it is close to paper version.

Thanks.

December 25, 2015
9:37 pm
Rick
Members

Ed said

Rick... Studio Tax provides a free software package that needs to be downloaded onto a Windows or Mac computer hard disk where it is stored. I prefer to access the certified tax provider's internet site using a web browser (Google Chrome) on an Android tablet or smartphone, much the same way as we do our online banking. My beef however is why can't I access the CRA site directly to tax-file, instead of passing through a third party!?!?!?

I see...Thanx Ed. Think I'd prefer to download it and do my taxes on my computer rather than fill in all that personal information on a 3rd party website. I think I will give this one a try for my 15 taxes though.

December 27, 2015
6:42 am
Yatti420
Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 413

I like studiotax..

December 27, 2015
9:14 am
Koogie
Members
Forum Posts: 334

This will be my third year using Studio Tax. Moved from Turbo Tax.
I like it quite a bit. Efiling is a breeze and it draws in previous years figures.
Best user interface of the freebie types as well.

February 6, 2016
10:29 am
Rick
Members

So I did a test run with Studio Tax to see how it worked. Good program, little different than U-File, which I have used in the past. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't show my RSP contribution limit for 2016 after all is calculated. I used this from U-File, it's always been accurate in the past, to make my contribution for the year in March the fill out the T-1213 and have my taxes reduced from my paycheck. I can't find that summary in Studio Tax. Is it just me not looking in the right place or is it not there? Kind of a deal breaker for me.

February 6, 2016
12:33 pm
ertyu
Members
Forum Posts: 134

I don't think Studiotax has it, I just wait the week or so for it to show in my online account after filing my taxes.

February 12, 2016
9:31 pm
Yatti420
Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 413

I never ever ever would trust a pre-calculated rate for future RRSP contributions.. If you have a situation where an institution misreports ( or you mess up) either TFSA or RRSP it can be a massive pain in the rear end to get this fixed.. Just wait and do it in a week or two.. Safest move for sure!

February 13, 2016
8:22 pm
Rick
Members

Yatti420 said

I never ever ever would trust a pre-calculated rate for future RRSP contributions.. If you have a situation where an institution misreports ( or you mess up) either TFSA or RRSP it can be a massive pain in the rear end to get this fixed.. Just wait and do it in a week or two.. Safest move for sure!

Have always used the info from U-File to make my RSP contributions. My TFSA / RSP contributions are maxed out so there is only 1 contribution per year. Not hard to keep track of. Only bad experience I had was when my employer messed up my T4 and issued a new one in June. Had to file an amendment recalculate my taxes with new numbers. Penalty was waived because it was not my fault. Would have made no difference if I waited and used CRA numbers instead as I didn't get the revised T4 until after filing deadline. Otherwise, numbers from U-File have always been bang on. CRA uses the numbers from your information to calculate the following years contribution, so I have confidence in the program being accurate. Once I make my contribution, I file the T1013(?) to have my tax deduction reduced by my employer. That usually takes 6-8 weeks to process, so waiting around for another couple weeks while CRA calculates my entitlement just prolongs the time it takes for me to start getting better paychecks and gives the feds a tax free loan.

February 14, 2016
11:04 am
rhvic
Victoria, BC
Members
Forum Posts: 467

I used StudioTax last year and liked it just fine. Alas, the version they have now for 2015 tax year requires that one have an operating system (on a Mac) of 10.7 or higher. My computer runs 10.6.8, and I am very reluctant to go newer than that given the hardware limitations of my 2008 iMac, and the very poor reviews of users who have upgraded to newer Mac OS versions (much slower, loss of older applications, etc.).

This year I will try the H&R Block tax program on their web site, also free on line.

February 14, 2016
11:22 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6746

Rick said

.... Once I make my contribution, I file the T1013(?) to have my tax deduction reduced by my employer. That usually takes 6-8 weeks to process, so waiting around for another couple weeks while CRA calculates my entitlement just prolongs the time it takes for me to start getting better paychecks and gives the feds a tax free loan.

That form is T1213 (Request to Reduce Tax Deductions at Source).

Useful for applying to reduce source withholdings further because of deductions (like RRSP contributions, child care expenses, and medical expenses) that aren't included in form TD1.

February 14, 2016
12:09 pm
Rick
Members

Thanx Norman....that's the one I meant

February 16, 2016
4:31 am
Save2Retire@55
Members
Forum Posts: 845

Ed said

Do you mean online on CRA site directly? That's really a good question. I don't understand that either. Plus CRA can generate some revenues from Income Tax filling, CRA gets the money rather than it goes to other companies. It's a WIN WIN game.

February 16, 2016
4:34 am
Save2Retire@55
Members
Forum Posts: 845

I have been doing it using 3 different software (all FREE) every year and surprisingly there is always some sort of difference in total income return. I just go with the maximum return result and upload that to CRA and get my money back.

Last year, the difference was $82. Not a big amount of money but you never know what you will get till you try :)

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.