Foreign income T1135 | Income tax filing | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Foreign income T1135
March 6, 2021
2:05 pm
Bud
Banned
Forum Posts: 1375
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

US$ capital gain showing $133 yet T1135 is showing gain of $912 why is that? Does the T1135 have to be submitted to cra?

March 6, 2021
9:06 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2879

If your brokerage sent you a T1135, then it is likely because you have crossed the threshold of $100k in CAD equivalent cost base of US domiciled investments, or the $250k threshold. The penalties are extremely severe for not filing when you are supposed too. https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/information-been-moved/foreign-reporting/form-t1135-reporting-2015-later-tax-years.html and also
https://www.taxtips.ca/filing/foreign-asset-reporting.htm

Not enough information to address the discrepancy. Your brokerage would have most likely sent you the T1135 converted into CAD based on a forex rate of some kind (that is normally disclosed). That would explain part of the difference. It may be that your brokerage actually did not use the right ACB (Cost Base) in which to calculate the capital gains. How does that reconcile with the T5008 data for whatever US domiciled investments you sold in 2020.

March 7, 2021
6:42 am
Bud
Banned

What do you mean not filing? At income tax time? One has to file when investment made? Does it have anything to do with w-8ben form?

March 7, 2021
7:04 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

Bud said
What do you mean not filing? At income tax time? One has to file when investment made? Does it have anything to do with w-8ben form?  

The Foreign Income Verification Statement (T1135) is due by April 30th and is incorporated into tax software such that one can complete it at the same time as one's T1 tax return and can then NETFILE it at the same time as one's own T1 tax return. It has nothing to do with the W-8BEN form which is an IRS form.

March 7, 2021
7:16 am
canadian.100
Members
Forum Posts: 942

AltaRed said
If your brokerage sent you a T1135, then it is likely because you have crossed the threshold of $100k in CAD equivalent cost base of US domiciled investments, or the $250k threshold.  

I received a T1135 and I have NOT crossed the threshold of $100K CAD equivalent cost base of US domiciled investments, and for sure not the 250K threshold.
Bud - perhaps you should contact an accountant who can assist and guide you with correct information, provide advice and perhaps complete your tax return(s) properly if this is an area where you need assistance.

March 7, 2021
7:26 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

canadian.100 said

I received a T1135 and I have NOT crossed the threshold of $100K CAD equivalent cost base of US domiciled investments, and for sure not the 250K threshold.
Bud - perhaps you should contact an accountant who can assist and guide you with correct information, provide advice and perhaps complete your tax return(s) properly if this is an area where you need assistance.  

Interesting. Why would an FI issue a T1135 if the line for "Maximum Cost During the Year" on the form does not show more than $100k? That is the defining number used to set the threshold for reporting.

Added: FIs do not submit the T1135 to CRA. The form, if provided to the client by the FI, is provided as 'information' for the taxpayer to use to complete their own T1135 submission.

March 7, 2021
10:12 am
Jowett
Members
Forum Posts: 30

AltaRed said

Interesting. Why would an FI issue a T1135 if the line for "Maximum Cost During the Year" on the form does not show more than $100k? That is the defining number used to set the threshold for reporting.

Added: FIs do not submit the T1135 to CRA. The form, if provided to the client by the FI, is provided as 'information' for the taxpayer to use to complete their own T1135 submission.  

The reason that your Canadian financial institution would send you a T1135 form is basically for your information. For example I have a number of different offshore bank accounts with no tax documentation forwarded to me. In the event that the cost amount in these accounts added up to 100,000/250,000 or more the T1135 forwarded to me from my Canadian FI would need to be added to all the other offshore amounts. This would be extremely important if the amount held offshore in other accounts is just under the reportable 100,000.
If there is any profit/loss indicated on the form though, this would be reported elsewhere on your tax return.

March 7, 2021
4:08 pm
Bud
Banned

Any headaches i should be aware of investing direct in american or global stocks while alive and estate

Please write your comments in the forum.