2019 tax returns | Income tax filing | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
2019 tax returns
May 12, 2020
8:19 am
Kidd
Banned
Forum Posts: 840
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I mailed my 2019 tax return to the cra on april 6th. Today, may 12th, i checked online to see the progress and it stated... 2019 not received.

I know those at the cra are dealing with cerb right now, so I'm wondering has anyone received anything back from the cra dealing with their 2019 tax return?

Thanks

May 12, 2020
8:30 am
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4223

Kidd said
I mailed my 2019 tax return to the cra on april 6th. Today, may 12th, i checked online to see the progress and it stated... 2019 not received.

I know those at the cra are dealing with cerb right now, so I'm wondering has anyone received anything back from the cra dealing with their 2019 tax return?

Thanks  

Hi Kidd,

They've publicized on their website that, relating to reallocation of resources due to COVID-19 and CRA staff being tasked with administering, adjudicating, and auditing the CERB and related programs, certain other key functions are being essentially significantly deprioritized.

It's likely that the CRA has received your paper-based income tax return, stamped it with a "date received," and then added it to the pile to deal with in the next several months. However, since noting "received" in your CRA account requires added work, they've essentially sidelined that activity, much as they did with sidelining the batch uploads of financial institution TFSA returns and paper-based T-slip filing (my Coast Capital Savings T5, issued in paper form, has yet to appear in my CRA account).

Why are you still filing in paper form?

In 2019, more than 90% of Canadian personal income tax filers and more than 88% of business income tax filers filed electronically.* As COVID-19 has likely significantly accelerated the enrolment in direct deposit to north of 95%, it's likely it's also accelerated significantly the migration to electronic filing. Once electronic filing hits 95%, I suspect you'll see the CRA move to eliminate paper filing and instead have public computer terminals set up, at income tax time, at Service Canada centres and Canada Post postal outlets to allow those without Internet access or computers to file their income tax returns.

I e-filed on Sunday, May 10, 2020, received my instanteanous Express Notice of Assessment, future dated for May 19, 2020, and expect to receive my official Notice of Assessment in PDF form that same date. Within 1-2 business days after that latter date, I expect to receive my income tax refund. sf-cool

Cheers,
Doug

Source(s):

* 2019-20 Departmental Results Report for the Canada Revenue Agency (a fascinating read, by the way), which has replaced the former annual report of the CRA.

May 12, 2020
9:00 am
Alexandra
British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 458

I sent my return in by mail on 16 April 2020. "My Account" also says not received. I didn't file through my accountant this year as he wasn't well and had to go all the way into town to drop off in a box. So decided to do my own like I did a long time ago. So, idiot me forgot to take the medical tax credit. I'm losing it. I had it on the work sheet but didn't carry it over. Should I let them know or will they just do that calculation for me? There is a place in "My Account" to do a change, but I don't want to mess them up. Any advice? I filed a paper return because I had extra paper work explaining a unique situation with documents of proof, so didn't want to e-file and then have them phone me etc. etc.

May 12, 2020
9:09 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6752

Don't mess them up by filing an amendment before they process the return!

This is from How to change a return:

You can request a change to your tax return by amending specific line(s) of your return. Do not file another return for that year, unless the return you want to amend was a 152(7) factual assessment.

Wait until you receive your notice of assessment before asking for changes.

Generally you can only request a change to a return for a tax year ending in any of the 10 previous calendar years. For example, a request made in 2020 must relate to the 2010 or a later tax year to be considered.

May 12, 2020
9:11 am
Dean
Valhalla Mountains, British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 1914

Kidd said

Thanks  

The Wife & I (including our refunds). sf-smile

We sent ours in early (late May) ... and we didn't use 'snail-mail'.

sf-cool " Live Long, Healthy ... And Prosper! " sf-cool

May 12, 2020
9:18 am
Alexandra
British Columbia
Members

Thanks all. Doug, CRA havn't listed the t5 on "My Account" for Coast Capital, Home Bank, Home Trust (Oaken Financial) and Access Credit Union.

May 12, 2020
10:20 am
MG
Members
Forum Posts: 263

Kidd said
has anyone received anything back from the cra dealing with their 2019 tax return?

Hi Kidd,
I mailed a final return for a deceased person on April 6th and CRA still says not received. Also one T5 from OMERS is still not uploaded.

I would have thought they would hire some temps to at least scan or key in tax returns but what do I know? sf-confused

May 12, 2020
11:15 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3912

I know of one person who works in CRA audit department and last I heard he's still at home doing zero work, so I really don't understand it when we're being told CRA's busy with CERB, etc. My guess is nobody's there processing tax returns mail. I've still got 2 cheques I mailed them for T3 trust accounts about 2 months ago still uncashed.

May 12, 2020
11:17 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2866

The CERB process looks like its pretty much fully automated (esp since they are NOT doing any auditing I dont think), so it does not make sense they have to drop the ball on everything else. More of just a bureaucratic move to show "hey look how busy we are, cant do anything else cuz CERB takes up 200% of our time"...

I mailed mine in last week so I guess they wont update until August..
A revised T5 dated Mar20 has not be reflected in the CRA system either.

May 12, 2020
11:18 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2866

Bill said
I know of one person who works in CRA audit department and last I heard he's still at home doing zero work, so I really don't understand it when we're being told CRA's busy with CERB, etc. My guess is nobody's there processing tax returns mail. I've still got 2 cheques I mailed them for T3 trust accounts about 2 months ago still uncashed.  

zero work while collecting 100% pay for almost 2 months now. I want that job lol

May 12, 2020
6:26 pm
GICinvestor
Members
Forum Posts: 670

I did NetFile and received a Notice of Assessment in a week or so. But keep in mind a NOA is basically a receipt and NOT a confirmation that everything is ok. Even though I paid within the 5 day commitment of NefFile that NOA still said I owed. Then someone here suggested to go on to MY Account at CRA and find my balance owing......I then found my balance owing was zero.

May 12, 2020
10:18 pm
cruzinalong
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 223

Kidd said

Thanks  

I submitted mine early via NETFILE. Quick. If you mailed a paper copy it NORMALLY takes up to 8 weeks. I have no idea how long it will take. I would expect a minimum of 8 weeks. Because of the times it may take longer.

May 12, 2020
10:31 pm
cruzinalong
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 223

Doug said

Hi Kidd,

They've publicized on their website that, relating to reallocation of resources due to COVID-19 and CRA staff being tasked with administering, adjudicating, and auditing the CERB and related programs, certain other key functions are being essentially significantly deprioritized.

It's likely that the CRA has received your paper-based income tax return, stamped it with a "date received," and then added it to the pile to deal with in the next several months. However, since noting "received" in your CRA account requires added work, they've essentially sidelined that activity, much as they did with sidelining the batch uploads of financial institution TFSA returns and paper-based T-slip filing (my Coast Capital Savings T5, issued in paper form, has yet to appear in my CRA account).

Why are you still filing in paper form?

In 2019, more than 90% of Canadian personal income tax filers and more than 88% of business income tax filers filed electronically.* As COVID-19 has likely significantly accelerated the enrolment in direct deposit to north of 95%, it's likely it's also accelerated significantly the migration to electronic filing. Once electronic filing hits 95%, I suspect you'll see the CRA move to eliminate paper filing and instead have public computer terminals set up, at income tax time, at Service Canada centres and Canada Post postal outlets to allow those without Internet access or computers to file their income tax returns.

I e-filed on Sunday, May 10, 2020, received my instanteanous Express Notice of Assessment, future dated for May 19, 2020, and expect to receive my official Notice of Assessment in PDF form that same date. Within 1-2 business days after that latter date, I expect to receive my income tax refund. sf-cool

Cheers,
Doug

Source(s):

* 2019-20 Departmental Results Report for the Canada Revenue Agency (a fascinating read, by the way), which has replaced the former annual report of the CRA.  

I know a several people that file paper. One couple is not computer literate. They do not have a computer. Another friend that is computer literate still files paper. I have no idea why. Opps I know a friends brother and sister-in-law that have no computer. If 10% file with paper then the number is 2.5M-3.5M people. Still a lot of people.

May 13, 2020
9:19 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3912

After discouraging paper filing for some time, this year CRA has changed tack a bit, see link below. They even refer to "you, the Paper Filer" - almost sounds like we have special status, maybe even a bit of admiration for our independent-streak, non-hive thinking!
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/news/2020/02/the-cra-has-not-forgottenthe-paper-filer.html

Also, if you file on time you earn interest at 4% due to delays in getting your refund, though I'm not sure this year if it's from the usual May 1, or from June 1, or maybe even September1 - ? 4% destroys any interest rates on this site.

June 6, 2020
12:18 pm
suburbs4life
Members
Forum Posts: 161

I am not sure if I am the only one here in this boat but I suspect not. I have to pay quarterly instalments for my personal taxes. It’s my first time doing so, I paid my March 15 instalment before the covid crisis changed all the rules regarding payment deadlines. I just saw the CRA gave me a tax refund and I was shocked. However, after reviewing my account they used this 2020 tax instalment to pay my 2019 tax bill. Werent we supposed to pay 2019 personal taxes owing sept 1st. What’s going on here? Thanks in advance.

June 6, 2020
1:48 pm
Kidd
Banned
Forum Posts: 840

Suburbs4life.

I currently have a very large credit in my cra account. It consists of four, 2019 tax installments and the march 15 2020 tax installment. When the cra get around to looking at my taxes, they will take what is owed to them, from my credit.

YES... the cra can draw down (use) the march 15 2020 tax installment to pay what's owed for 2019. when you pay your 2019 tax bill on sept 1st 2020, the credit you have for 2020 will be restored.

Does that make any sense? Money, is money. They take what is owed.

June 6, 2020
1:51 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6752

Was the payment made to the correct CRA biller?

My online banking has three bill payees for CRA, depending on what the payment is for:

1. CRA (REVENUE) - 2019 TAX RETURN
  2. CRA (REVENUE) - TAX AMNT OWING
  3. CRA (REVENUE) - TAX INSTALMENT

I suspect that if one pays to #1 instead of to #3, CRA will credit the payment to 2019 taxes and not to one's next tax instalment for 2020.

CRA: Pay by online banking confirms this.

June 6, 2020
2:00 pm
Alexandra
British Columbia
Members

I agree with Norman 1. You must have paid your quarterly on line to "Tax Amount Owing", instead of using "CRA Tax Instalment. It is easy to do when you have all three in a line-up under your bill payments with on-line banking.

June 6, 2020
3:03 pm
suburbs4life
Members
Forum Posts: 161

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

I only have one online cra payment account set up via online banking. I have paid my prior bi annual payments and personal tax owing via the same account without any issue last year. This year I am on the quarterly pay train and that could be the issue cause the dates overlap.

Thanks for that info Norman. I had no idea there are different cra accounts.... Why do I bother using overpriced accountants if they don’t tell me these simple details. Ugh.

By your logic Norman my instalment in March was never “received” then and counted as an early tax payment? Guess I’ll be calling them this week to sort this mess out.

June 6, 2020
4:00 pm
Alexandra
British Columbia
Members

Is anyone here going to wait until September of this year to pay their quarterly payment instead of doing so by mid June? I was thinking about it. I hate owing money or having any outstanding debt, but I am dumping most of my funds right now into Tangerine's 2.5% til 30 September and that quarterly payment amount would add a little to the pile.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.