Savings account rate rising to 1.40% (starting March 8, 2022) | Hubert Financial | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Savings account rate rising to 1.40% (starting March 8, 2022)
March 7, 2022
8:10 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6764
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Received an e-mail from Hubert.

One of the changes is that the savings account rate is rising from 1.25% to 1.40% tomorrow. sf-smile

March 7, 2022
8:31 pm
christinad
Members
Forum Posts: 315

But the 1 year gic is also dropping to 1.8%.

March 7, 2022
8:51 pm
Norman1
Members

Unfortunately, the one-year term rate is the bad news, as frugal lady pointed out in GIC rate change … - 1 year decrease.

March 7, 2022
10:19 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9241

I think the one year tiered rate proved too popular and needed to be cooled. It's no longer competitive IMO.

March 8, 2022
3:05 am
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1474

Loonie said
I think the one year tiered rate proved too popular and needed to be cooled. It's no longer competitive IMO.  

Indeed. I was about to add another one of these but not anymore ...

Hubert appear to be lining up their rates closer to Accelerate's ...

CGO
March 8, 2022
3:56 am
Jim Sherat
Members
Forum Posts: 154

Darn ! Same with me ... just did a Transfer-In from another FI yesterday, and was going to buy another 2.0% cashable 1yr GIC today. 🙁

Will most likely move those funds instead, over to EQ for one of their recent offerings of 3mth or 6mth 2%+ GICs.
A HISA rate of 1.40% is of little interest, so long as we can get over 2% for 3mths... that's not a very long time to have one's money locked in.

March 8, 2022
6:45 am
Jim Sherat
Members

addendum to earlier comment ...
No go for us re EQ GIC'S, as they still don't offer the option of making them Joint !!!
... unlike Hubert, and pretty much everyone else I've ever had an account with.
What is their problem ?

March 8, 2022
7:20 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9241

For future reference, Jim, Hubert allows you to open a new GIC and fund it afterwards, so I think you could have opened it, secured the rate, completed the transfer, then put the money in the GIC.
You could try phoning and explain your situation and ask if they would honour the old rate. Nothing to lose.

March 8, 2022
7:26 am
Norman1
Members

Unlike EQ Bank, Hubert will allow one to open a new term deposit and pull funds from a linked external account directly into the new term deposit.

March 8, 2022
7:34 am
Norman1
Members

Jim Sherat said
No go for us re EQ GIC'S, as they still don't offer the option of making them Joint !!!
What is their problem ?

EQ Bank's joint account support is half baked.

Funds are joint in their joint savings account. But, funds become non-joint while in a GIC. Funds become joint again when GIC matures and the funds are returned to the joint account they were from.

Could have a problem if person dies while funds are non-joint in a GIC!

March 8, 2022
1:39 pm
Jim Sherat
Members

Loonie said
For future reference, Jim, Hubert allows you to open a new GIC and fund it afterwards, so I think you could have opened it, secured the rate, completed the transfer, then put the money in the GIC.
You could try phoning and explain your situation and ask if they would honour the old rate. Nothing to lose.  

Thanks Loonie, good to know, and Good suggestion about phoning; I just did and they agreed to back date the GIC purchase to yesterday ! Perhaps that was because the funds were there yesterday [7th] ? I didn't ask, and it's done.
So Thanks for that ... you made us a little extra interest. hope your commission rate isn't too high 😉
Very nice folks to deal with at Hubert btw.

March 8, 2022
1:46 pm
Jim Sherat
Members

Norman1 said

Jim Sherat said
What is their problem ?

EQ Bank's joint account support is half baked.

Funds are joint in their joint savings account. But, funds become non-joint while in a GIC. Funds become joint again when GIC matures and the funds are returned to the joint account they were from.

Could have a problem if person dies while funds are non-joint in a GIC!  

Exactly, and that is why I will never buy a GIC at EQ, until such time as their 'Joint' ownership approach becomes Fully Baked. 😉
The exception being TFSAs where we both have GICs in place, since our 'successor holder' designations are on file.

March 12, 2022
10:11 am
Alexandra
British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 458

I'll probably cash in all my 1yr paid quarterly GIC's with them when they come due in early May.... of course their 2nd quarter is a bit better......anyone else going to?

March 12, 2022
11:00 am
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1163

Yes, I bought a 1-yr for avg. 2% on Jan 1. It only earned 1.85% for the first three months and I can get the EQ at 2.1% for three months right away. Not logical to keep it at Hubert.

March 12, 2022
11:36 am
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1474

Alexandra said
I'll probably cash in all my 1yr paid quarterly GIC's with them when they come due in early May.... of course their 2nd quarter is a bit better......anyone else going to?  

Check the math to see if it's worth the move. If you wait till that Hubert GIC collects its 1st quarter interest, cash in to move to EQ's 90 day GIC, you'll go from 1.95% to 2.05% for the next 90 days. So, assuming a $100k GIC ...

(2.05-1.95)/100/365*90*100000=$24.65 gain for that 90 Days ... Actually less than that since you will only earn 1.25% at EQ while the funds remain on hold for 5-7 days. So, you might gain $24 for that move assuming no interest loss while the funds are in "transit" ...

CGO
March 14, 2022
12:36 pm
Brimleychen
Members
Forum Posts: 258

I don’t think those use 1 year GIC at Hurbert will catch the best 5 year GIC rate via Hurbert this year! Just look at they do pricing at the beginning of year 2022 @3% for 5 yrs for only two weeks promotion. Now 5 years rate is the lowest in the market after the first rate hike. You can imagine what will their rate for 5 years GIC.

I have big TFSA gic 3.5% from Hubert matured in may, I just take the best rate at the market which 3.15% at EQ, just go online and open TFSA at EQ enter those detail from Hubert TFSA GIC, download the transfer form and signed it and upload it back. It just take me 15 min, and done. it’s worth the transfer.

My guess by the time they mail my cheque to EQ, I probably will get 3.5% in Jun after at another raise.

Please write your comments in the forum.