Hubert rate decrease - June 11, 2020 | Hubert Financial | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Hubert rate decrease - June 11, 2020
June 10, 2020
6:18 pm
Yatti420
Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 413
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Rate Update

We're sorry to share that our rates are decreasing on Thursday, June 11.

Our new rates will be:

High-interest savings - 1.80%

1-year term - 1.95% average

2-year term - 2.05%

3-year term - 2.10%

4-year term - 2.20%

5-year term - 2.30%

VIEW RATES

QUESTIONS?

If you have any questions, give us a shout. We're here Monday - Friday, 8am - 8pm CST, and Saturday, 8am - 4pm CST.

Phone: 1-855-448-2378

Chat: http://www.happysavings.ca

Email: hubert@happysavings.ca

Beware of phishing tactics

Online scammers love to add a false sense of urgency to messages to make you think you need to act right away to avoid harm. If you come across a message like this, take a minute to make sure it’s real. When in doubt, don't click any links or provide your personal information.

Rates subject to change.

You've received this email because you are a member at Hubert Financial and provided your email to us, or you have subscribed to receive news and promotions from us. We understand if you don't want to continue to get our news and you may unsubscribe from these emails at anytime below.

Privacy policy | Contact us

Need help? Call us at 1.833.378.6682

Hubert Financial

Email sent to: nug420ster@gmail.com

Sunova Credit Union
233 Main Street |
Selkirk, Manitoba | R1A 1S1 | Canada |
info@sunovacu.ca

Anti‑spam policy | Report an abuse | Unsubscribe

June 10, 2020
7:13 pm
cruzinalong
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 223

They adjust rates to be competitive. I am sure Hubert is a good place to buy GICS. There are 6 big banks. There are dozens of CU to choose from. I am happy to live in Ontario. I purchase GICS at a Manitoba CU. At end of June my semi-annual statement at CU will be corrected. Enjoy the summer.

June 11, 2020
3:20 am
Rick
Members
Forum Posts: 1110

Kind of decides for me whether or not to open another 1 yr GIC @ Hubert or let it sit in Motive @ 2.05.

June 11, 2020
4:24 am
cruzinalong
Ontario
Members

Not worth switching from your current FI.

June 11, 2020
7:16 am
christinad
Members
Forum Posts: 315

I'm glad i locked in. Thanks to i believe gic investor's suggestion to take it from my savings account. My gic matures june 16 and i would have had this rate decrease at renewal.

June 11, 2020
8:48 am
cruzinalong
Ontario
Members

christinad said
I'm glad i locked in. Thanks to i believe gic investor's suggestion to take it from my savings account. My gic matures june 16 and i would have had this rate decrease at renewal.  

Nothing wrong with that. I do the same.

June 11, 2020
11:23 am
Rick
Members
Forum Posts: 1110

Nice thing about Hubert...you can open a GIC online with no money and they will hold the rate. The maturity/interest date is when it was opened, not when you contribute. Did that with my last RSP. Opened it after a rate cut announcement, and funded it nine days later. Lost nine days interest on the term, but kept the rate and my ladder in order ( I hate ladders that mature at different dates...too hard to keep track of).

June 11, 2020
1:59 pm
cruzinalong
Ontario
Members

Rick said
Nice thing about Hubert...you can open a GIC online with no money and they will hold the rate. The maturity/interest date is when it was opened, not when you contribute. Did that with my last RSP. Opened it after a rate cut announcement, and funded it nine days later. Lost nine days interest on the term, but kept the rate and my ladder in order ( I hate ladders that mature at different dates...too hard to keep track of).  

The FI holds the rate up to a fixed length of time. The first term deposit I tried assembling as much as possible. They gave me 30 days to find the money. After 15 days I purchased a large 120 day deposit. I like my GICS maturing around the same date annually. I took a few months for the correct plan. Easier to keep track.

June 11, 2020
10:24 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9235
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

I didn't know they would give you 30 days to fund your GIC. That is really excellent.sf-smile
It's the equivalent of holding a rate, but most FIs won't hold more than a couple of weeks.

July 18, 2020
10:23 am
christinad
Members
Forum Posts: 315

Rick posted Hubert will hold the rate for a gic. Do you know how long they will do this? I opened a gic account but i don't want to fund it for a couple of weeks.

July 18, 2020
2:02 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4223

christinad said
Rick posted Hubert will hold the rate for a gic. Do you know how long they will do this? I opened a gic account but i don't want to fund it for a couple of weeks.  

Hi Christina,

Not off-hand...I would probably give them a quick call (before they close today, if you can make it) and check. Two weeks seems like a bit long, but I think some people have had success with Hubert holding rates for a week or so?

Cheers,
Doug

July 18, 2020
5:35 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9235
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

Somebody did post this information a little while ago. I can't remember the answer for sure but I thought it was unusually long, maybe even as long as a month.

I have a note in my file to the effect that MAXA will hold a rate for 21 days, so it might be similar at Hubert.

I think it was Rick(?) who used this system to lock into a TFSA GIC in December for the subsequent year's contribution.

July 19, 2020
8:02 am
Winnie
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 463

christinad said

For many years I tried that about 20 times and results were different.
Sometimes unfunded GIC will remain opened for 30 days max, but recently I had experiences, when unfunded GIC were automatically closed after 3 days.
No help from customer service regarding that. They say it's done automatically by "system" and suggested that I should fund my GIC's as soon as possible after GIC opening.

July 19, 2020
9:37 am
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4223

Winnie said

For many years I tried that about 20 times and results were different.
Sometimes unfunded GIC will remain opened for 30 days max, but recently I had experiences, when unfunded GIC were automatically closed after 3 days.
No help from customer service regarding that. They say it's done automatically by "system" and suggested that I should fund my GIC's as soon as possible after GIC opening.  

This is really helpful, more contemporary context on Hubert's processes re: GIC funding, Winnie. It sounds like they maybe used to allow GICs to be funded within 30 days, but have since shortened it to 3 days.

It's a helpful reminder that these sort of procedural or internal process changes require no advance notice to members/customers; banks and credit unions can change them at will. Banks and federal credit unions, but not provincial credit unions, must provide advance notification of changes to interest rates, service charges, and account agreements. This procedural change is not covered by the advance notification requirements.

Cheers,
Doug

Please write your comments in the forum.